Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mounting advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mounting advice
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been asked to do a corporate looking sign for this wall, Raised letters, probably gold in color, not quite yet sure, but was thinking of mounting them to a Background first, maybe black acrylic, or stainless steel, but with that cultured rock being so thin, and uneven, what type of mounting system would you recommend? Was thinking of a Suspension system, or even pre determining where the holes would line up and trying to keep the holes well behind the sign just in case the rocks split and I have to so some patch work...any Ideas?

- [/IMG]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil,

Check out this site........You might find the answer to your questions, here.

http://www.signletters.com/Videos/videos.html

Good luck !

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of Sikkaflex adhesive maybe?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bloody stone is so weak and uneven none of the techniques in the videos address my concerns, I may have to chip away a little bit of stone to get to the drywall, thanks.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think stud mount would look great - if the client wants to spend the money and you have the patience.

However, for budget purposes, I would lean towards a solid, opaque background and, maybe, suspend it from the ceiling?

The design, total weight/size would be the determining factor.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
king clips would give you a nice hidden system with a bit of a space, just be careful to use spacers on the uneven surface so the clips don't get bent, or possibly use wall toggles to mount some 3/4 ply or mdf cut smaller than the background panel, then the king clips or stainless standoffs to mount the background panel to that? I like the suspension system idea, or floor to ceiling aluminum pipes with edge crips or standoffs?

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google standoffs, there are a number of different systems available. I think they would work well.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Thanks, I like the idea of stand offs for sure, thats what I'm leaning towards.. it's just this rock wall thats giving me a bit of a head ache.lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, I would mount an mdf panel to the wall with the wall toggles, but put threaded inserts into the back of the mdf first, then thread the standoff studs into the inserts, call me if you need to and I'll explain it a bit better

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Thanks Pete..

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How heavy are the letters? What is behind the cultured stone? In most cases a stud mount would work. You might try a ceramic cutting bit to bore through the stuff to get at the solid wall or, if it's "dry stack" stone, just put your studs between the joints. If you're going to install a piece of stainless steel, it's probably going to need standoffs and if it's drywall, you're going to need to find and mount into the studs for sure, I don't know if an electronic stud finder is going to detect them through the stone. Mine wouldn't.

[ November 07, 2012, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil,

Usually that kind of "stone" will drill fairly well with a standard drill and a carbide masonry bit. A hammer drill or rotary hammer will tend to cause cracking.

I would use standoffs for a solid panel background, and place them 4-5 inches in from the edges, just in case. That will give enough room to cover any cracks that might happen. You can use toggle bolts to anchor the standoffs, but you will probably need to add spacers to some of them to create a flat mount for the background.

Another advantage to placing the standoffs farther in is it helps hide the spacers. I have done this before, and used flat washers behind the standoffs to get close to flat. then place the flat panel against the standoffs to see where you need additional spacers between the standoffs and the panel.

I hope this makes sense.

You're welcome to call me too if you want.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Thanks Again, I believe the stud mounted way is the best way, as far as stainless, I'm probably going to just use Dibond with the stainless finish... if thats the way we go, I was thinking of using a Black Acrylic background as well... decisions decisions... thanks for the email Don!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not trying to shoot anyone's idea down, I would suggest individual letters / logo with long studs siliconed deep into the wall. I think that if you put a panel with panel clips... even a clear acrylic panel installed with standoffs, (which I use both), you would defeat the purpose of having that very cool faux brick. Also, its indoor. No need to spend so much on stainless. I'd go with brushed aluminum. My $.02

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix has a very good point.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Yes Felix has a very good Idea, which is appreciated, but the problem is the Stone, drilling that many holes would destroy it, it would crack, and flake away... that is what worries me using that method... believe me, I thought of using that first... Thanks!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being indoors you could use individual letters with pad mount and double stick tape. You could adjust the pads to keep everything kind of even. The big problem would be IF they ever decided to remove it.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

and because of the uneven surface some letters would be spaced far enough from the surface that the studs and pads would be visible from any angle, how about a perforated aluminum backgroud, a 50% prf is pretty transparnet allowing the wall to show but creates a nice shadow and sbtle airy background that helps legibility and hides the mounting

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read all the posts and I am sitting here thinking to myself there are a lot of great ways to to this and yes there have been a lot mentioned, but how can one truly give input if we don't know what is going on the wall.

I would love to see their logo to really see some great results as how to go about it.

Neil have you actual tested the stone with multible type bits to see the drilling process?

We all know there are different type bits for just about anything out there for plasters, stones, marbles, glass etc right down to what is best for drilling bone.
That is a great canvas to put something really cool on and the install technique is part of this that can really make the difference from just a logo on the wall or people looking at it and thinking that is really unique expecially the way it was applied.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it would be a shame to cover the stone with a panel. But I have also cracked many a stone with a hammer drill.
Don H's idea that a drill bit without hammer action sounds promising.
Is it not true that a stone splits due to internal stresses created when it was formed? Is not cultured stone free of these stresses? I don't know for sure. I'm just thinking out loud.

I would like to see a picture of the finished job, and I would especially like to know how the cultured stone reacted to drilling.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Thanks for all the suggestions, Yes Sam you guys should see what was suggested by another design company, and what I suggested, I'm home now and up early on this rememberance day, but their logo is just the words "Ottenhiemer Baker" they are a law firm, but the lettering is probably the worst kind, sorta like Optima Light, and the stroke is probably a half inch at the widest and then it gets smaller after that. I'll post some photos of the sketches on Tuesday, and Yes I'm picking up some samples of the stone on Tuesday to test it for drilling, and not using the hammer mode...Petes Idea sounds interesting as well, I thought of clear or smoked acrylic as well, so that is something else that I'm considering.... the Customer likes the Idea of individual letters, but the design company did'nt even come look at the wall???

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Pete Payne

Member # 344

hey Neil, sent you some pics with perffed aluminum, let me know if you didn't get them

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Where would I get that perforated alluminum? I'll check out those photos on Tuesday pete... don't get my work email at home... thanks

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lay them out upside down on a table, snap two parallel chalk lines, glue on some narrow tubing and string them on a fish line or airplane cable between stand offs. Slide the end letters over to cover the stand offs.
Okay, I'm just joking, but I'm betting that a system like that could be developed with cable and some type of locking clip on each letter, or maybe one already does. Easy kerning. [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

You had me going there for a second kelly,lol Not a real Bad Idea for other apps all the same.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Pete Payne

Member # 344

you can get perffed aluminum, steel and stainless at any metal supplier, I get mine at Canada Steel, 40% is more solid, 50% more transparent. It can be almost invisible when backlit, like the stainless sail in the Goderich sign in the pics I sent you.

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

That looks Good Pete, I'll check that out as well... thanks

Here's couple of proofs, the one with the individual letters is what they like, I like it also, but it worries me for a couple of reasons, Getting pads small enough for the letters, so they don't look messy and the rock, having to drill that many holes per letter may destroy it, pads won't work cause you'll easily see them.. I know all that has been said before... anyway just wanted you guys to see the options thus far...Clear acrylic is also something else I'm considering

The rock is about a Half inch to an inch thick.

-

-

[ November 12, 2012, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Pete Payne

Member # 344

or, etched or gue chip glass panel, you would only need 6 standoffs and holes, then glue or dbl sided tape the letters to that, best of both worlds, you can even tint it if you like

--------------------
Pete Payne
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

I agree, I just have to convince them that the individual letters may be too much for the rock... I Know the smaller ones will certainly be almost impossible...at least I think so.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Well you should be able to do that with the price. Make sure the individual letters are priced plenty high enough that you can be sure you are covered for any problems you might have. Honestly I think I'd likely quote well over double for the one method over the other. Also tell them you can make no guarantee's as to how the rock will drill. Then if they still want to go for it at least you have a nice cushion to fall on and the job won't seem as stressful or frustrating.

Then again I suppose the quote is already in with the choices....

[ November 12, 2012, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like what your doing Neil, I think you having that small copy just may be in your favor since the studs will be small and that means smaller bits so drilling should be fine. It is hard to tell from the pictures just how uneven the stone is but with the studs if they show a little to much because of the depth difference I may consider spraying then flat black.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Thanks Kelly Sam, They sent me a sample of the stone today, and I am quite surprised at how easy it is to drill, they have decided not to use the smaller letters and just go with the name, so this may work out after all, I'll keep you informed... thanks Everyone!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Niel,
Kelly's idea isn't that bad because Gemini does offer a raceway mounting option and/or you can make your own.
If you use Gemini, just have to specify that the letters will be mounted on this way and they'll pretty much take care of everything else.
Here's a project I did a while back that used a combination of a raceway with bottom stud mount letters - as specified by the architect...

-

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!