Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cultured Stone on Block Wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cultured Stone on Block Wall
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I have a small monument sige at the front of my driveway. The base is cinder blcok. 42" wide, 16" high and 16" deep. I will be covering it using man-made cultured stone. My question is,, what type of mortor, cement, adhesive do I use to stick it on the wall? I looked at a few Youtube videos to get an idea of what I will be attemping, attemping to do. And that filling in the grout lines using a bag! Yuk! Isn't
there something in a tube I can use? If the waether permits, I might do a youtube video on this one.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oppsie, mispell, I have a small monument SIGN at the front of my driveway,,,etc,,,.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your answer can be found at 7:30 in this video.
Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwS4Ug59GY

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is more detailed at the 5:00 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-jgAQHmgc&feature=related

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ahhhhhh,,,Masonry Cement, with a bit of color. Tomorrow I go to the McLendon's hardware store to buy some.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh but remember the ticket for the mix to stick is have that mesh metal screen on first. I know you'll do good and make it look great!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you need the mesh if it's going on concrete block?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a bonding agent concrete will stick to concrete block - most of the time. I would use mesh.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

"Otha ves con la pinchi mesh!" Because I'm a real lazy azz, I'm gonna try it without the mesh, only cause the wall is onyl 16" tall. But first I might ask my neighbor who is a retired concrete worker. Besides, what keeps the mesh up?

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too want to know what keeps the mesh up!

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tapcon screws should work or any other masonry fasteners.
Its a good idea to clean the concrete with muratic acid and rinse well either way, that will remove any oils or residue that might interfere with the bond. If the blocks are painted sandblasting off the paint would be wise especially if you are not using lathe.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every cultured stone manufacturer I know has a tech sheet with section drawings and specs on what to use.

(check out the ARCHITECTURAL SPECIFICATION TOOLS at this site http://www.coronado.com/ )

There is pre mixed mortar.

What brand and type is the stone? There is dry stack and one that required grouting.

The only time I ever used mesh was on a structure like a home where wood studs were used, and the mesh was still covered with a scratch coat. Mesh is usually not required on a block wall/pilaster and would probably stick better/faster without the mesh.

[ October 16, 2012, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!