Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Net 39 days?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Net 39 days?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Job was completed and the bill was faxed over on September 6. Yesterday morning, I emailed enquiring about my check. Finally got a reply just now........

quote:
Good Morning Wayne,

A check is scheduled to be cut and mailed out to you next week.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Denise,
Our company credit card bill is due the 15th, the sign materials we bought for
your project are on that bill and we don't have enough to pay it. We busted our
butts and risked our necks to get your signs installed before your deadline;
could y'all please expedite our check to keep us from having to pay interest
charges [Smile] Pretty please?
Thanks!
Wayne

[Bash] [Smile]

[ October 10, 2012, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, what are the terms printed on YOUR invoice ? Your request for a cheque almost sounds like you're begging, and it shouldn't ever get to that state. If your terms are net 30 days, like most other suppliers, that should be the point of emphasis, and the fact that they're well beyond that due date. You're entitled to prompt payment, since you obviously turned cartwheels to get them their sign requirements done and installed on time ( funny how quickly customers tend to forget that ).

Next time they order anything from you, don't become like them and let this experience slip your mind. Customers like these should be charged an additional 15% to make up for the time that they inconvenience you. That figure isn't all that out of line either....just check out the interest rates that credit card companys charge for outstanding balances.

Edited to add this: Your initial request has a tone of desperation to it. This immediately places you at a significant disadvantage, since people tend to take advantage of those in desperate situations. Next time they come calling to secure more work from you, believe that they will remember this and they'll attempt to exploit your situation when you quote them a price. ( Again, it's funny how they'll recall that little tidbit of information, while they conveniently forget the time and effort you invested in their project. )

[ October 10, 2012, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Ken Henry ]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it has a tone of desperation in it. What's the old saying.......'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'?
Actually, I thought I allowed a tad more sarcasm in it than I should have. Their terms were net 30 days, which they have already exceeded. My next correspondence won't be as cordial.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50% up front, balance upon completion. those are my terms in most circumstances. You would be surprised what customers can come up with if they want it bad enough. Selling involves making them want the sign more than the money it cost them.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the others on this...change your invoices to reflect that the final payment is due on receipt/installation of the sign and add an interest charge clause for any amounts not paid with in 15 days. On any bigger projects I take 50% down to cover the cost of materials, often they have to be paid up front and sometimes it can take up to 6 weeks for me to receive them before I can start work on the project. Depending on timing I could be carrying that cost for months.
"Pretty Please" wouldn't sound too confident to a client.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

My invoices already state "50% deposit required on all work, balance due upon completion". Those are my sole terms as of now. However, in this case, the client let us know that they paid net 30 days. I accepted their terms. Thing is, they had already gone over the 30 days, and when I emailed them to inquire yesterday morning, they failed to reply until today, then informed me that they would cut us a check next week. So I got a little 'perturbed' and the 'pretty please' was intended to be sortof 'nice nasty'. I realize now that was unprofessional.

After that when I called the client and firmly stated that I wanted the check cut today and I'm sure the client knew I was serious because she assured me my check would be in the mail in the morning. I agree with you all, we need to ad more legalese to our invoices for these exceptional case where I agree to 'net 30 days'.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I simply put "net ten days" and that keeps it alot cleaner. The next time they do business with me, if they were 30+ days in paying me I add an additional 15% to the bid. No one has yet complained.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Wayne,
If you were to do this again, just note on the invoice that interest and finance charges of $XX, or to the maximum extent allowed by law, will apply if payment is not received when it is due.

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Wayne,

You guys are, all, excellent business people.... and I am sorry to say that I am a lousy business person.

I just choose to tell the customer: "50% deposit now, and the balance upon completion of the job.......Definition of "Completion" = "When I put the brush down!"

If the customer does not agree, I, very politely, of course, walk away.

......Have been doing it for 42 years, without a problem, to this day.

P.S.-- Now, that I am retired, I demand a bottle of good wine with the 50% deposit....

RD

[ October 11, 2012, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 11121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Jenicek   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Jenicek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Checkers...

50% down and 50% due on delivery is preferred, but sometimes the last 50% is net 30 days. On the net 30 day invoices, we add a clause at the bottom stating a 15% penalty per month will be assessed for all invoices over 30 days.

If anyone complains, simply explain that the 15% is to cover your late fees on your credit card for their job.

[ October 11, 2012, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Keith Jenicek ]

--------------------
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs
St. Louis, MO

www.Artisan-Signs.net

Posts: 67 | From: Ballwin, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...you don't want my business advice...I am a horrible business person...I once went into an establishment to inquire about a sign and the secretary asked me who I was with...I said..."I'm with my wife...she's in the car...you want her to come in too."...True story...by the way I didn't get the job.

[ October 11, 2012, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's very funny rusty ! i've been doing this for 38 yrs now, and my terms have alway been 50% down balance upon my completion,and i've never had a problem......except in 1975 when the customer when crazy (i mean literally "crazy" before i finished my part). i'm glad you realized wayne one should never beg for what you're due.

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a few people net me 30 and then go over. I called them every single day to remind them. If they hadn't been out of state I would have been in their office waiting.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!