Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Get agressive, or let it be

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Get agressive, or let it be
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a dilemma drawing near, and need some sage advice....but I came here anyway!!!lololol

New customer, but her family is a friend of our family. She's starting a new interior decorating business, and I'd like to do a good job, on the sign for the front of her building. The problem is, her logo(proposed) is a light blue, and a muddy gray, and she told me the building is being painted a "mauvy-gray". She's indicated to me that she likes the "look" and wants to stay pretty much with those colors.

Problem is, it's a new business, and she's NOT going to attract anyone with this dead-looking color combination. I've tried to tactfully advise her that we need to find a brighter accent color, or more contrasting color combination, so it will have some "POP"; but she's been rather resistant. She's even got grays and dark browns inside the store.

I'm torn between telling her "Do it your way" and walking away, and being more forward, and just telling her, "Listen dammit, my job is to make sure customers are attracted to your business; I want you to be successful. I can't do that, with these colors."

What would you do?

[ September 13, 2012, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally in those situations, I do two digital mockups - her way and my way.

My way cost less. Her way cost more.

Then let her decide.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the second one myself.

Get her some examples of poor contrast signs and ask her to quickly identify the businesses. That may help drive your point home.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Humphreville
Visitor
Member # 4762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Humphreville   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Humphreville       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's an interior designer it's more important how it looks than how it works for a sign. Good luck.

--------------------
Eric
PA

Posts: 149 | From: Intercourse, PA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn...once again showing off his savvy business acumen...has your solution.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move them towards the better, as far as they will let you. Do the job, you can't always make the world perfect, just better.

Run if you think they are going to be trouble. If they are asking too much from you as far as your comfort zone, walk away.

I am solidly in the camp that says seldom will someone asks who made an awful sign. I do think people who are in the market for a sign suddenly become aware of them. They will be the ones who go to the trouble of inquiring about outstanding signs that they have noticed.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago I told a customer that my job was to make her look good and she informed me that my job was to do what she told me because she was writing the check.

She didn't have to write me a check.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im in business to make a living, not feed my ego, I make suggestions and my professional opinion, but in the end I am in business to make signs for a profit.

If she is dead on those colors, make the sign, cash her check and move on to a customer that gets it. [Smile]

The best scenerio is she figures it out and buys another sign from you this time, she says " I trust your judgment" [Smile]

[ September 14, 2012, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some really good feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

First of all, there's no ego involved here. My feelings about the job, and my advice to her are based on 40 years of experience and a trust in my knowledge and abilities.

As I said, we are friends of her family, it's a new business, and I want her to succeed (as much as I can have any control over that). Her funds are not unlimited, and I want to be able to give her the best "bang for the buck."

I would like to be able to walk away, knowing this.......and (since it's in our town) be sure her business gets noticed. Also, I know that, due to the pale and "muddy" colors she's wanting, they are going to be more susceptible to fading in our hot sun. I'd like to NOT have her coming back next year, and telling me (or her family telling me) they weren't real satisfied with my work fading so quickly.

After all these years, I still care.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale,
I'll just bet that your care and sincerity will come through and get her off center. Give it your best shot. Then do what you can. Serving as unto the Lord.... You know the rest.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give her your best advice showing her a couple of proofs as previously mentioned, hers and yours. If she chooses to ignore your advice, so be it, do whatever she wants. Youv'e done your best

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer. Do it her way and cash the check.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost several jobs trying to convince a customer that choices in the signage isn't very appealing to the potential customer.They went somewhere else and got what they wanted. Fix it their way as long as they pay....If you don't like it,don't put your name on it and leave it out of your port-folio.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, obviously, you always want to give the customer the biggest "bang for the buck". But YOU are still in business to make a buck.

Give the customer what she wants and cash the check.

There is a difference between a customer and a client. A customer is usually a one timer who insists on doing it THEIR way... A client is a long term client who trusts YOU to do things the right way.

Guess which is the better option?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can not believe anyone would "walk" away from a job because the customer wanted their sign done a certain way and NOT YOUR WAY!'Good thing you are not a car salesman! If you liked red and someone came in and wanted a blue car, what would you do? Send them across the street to another car dealer?
I've seen this before on this forum and it boggles my mind! In the past 38 years, if I walked away from jobs I did not like because of colors or designs, I would be on Welfare!Try to convince them once on an alternative, then if they still want their design...................DO IT!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always try to point out problems, like when a customer wanted red lettering on a black truck. I explained how the lack of contrast was going to make it hard to read. They didn't want to change it, so we put it on the truck. Done.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond sez:
"she informed me that my job was to do what she told me because she was writing the check."
I've always been intrigued by people who have that attitude about paying for something. Doesnt it occur to them that they're the one who comes beseeching you to help them with something they cant do themself because they lack the knowledge and experience?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it so sad when people spend all of their own and borrowed money to start a business. Then when it comes to the sign, they skimp or put out a really bad looking sign. And as we all know it,eventually, most of the time, after the lease is up, you see the new business gone. A "For lease" sign goes up and the whole scenario starts all over again. I think statisticly, 50% of new businesses fail and 95% fail after 5 years. Pretty bad odds.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try a white or a black outline between the colours-to help the contrast...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would take a photo of the building with the proper color on it and then drop in the two signs one at a time to see just exactly what it is going to look like instead of just picturing what it is going to look like.

Sometimes you would be surprised how well some combinations work together, plus the client gets a real feel of it also.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More often than not, the client takes my advice. But if their mind is made up, I do what they want.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!! Great ideas!

I'm going to take some new pictures of the building (it's just been painted) and superimpose an idea or 2 of hers with my thoughts, and let her make up her mind.

Then, regardless of my thoughts, she'll have to live with her decision. Then I'll have some ammo, if there's ever any family "feedback".

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!