Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Idiot dentist wants sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Idiot dentist wants sign
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a Craigslist ad I found.

Dental practice in clearwtaer needs to have a new sign made. Does not have to be more than 6 or 7 feet tall. Current one is made out of wood. Have had some quotes from companies but what they want is outrageous. Budget of $500-1000, depending on the quality and look of sign. Please email me with your abilities, ideas and how you feel you would be a good fit for this gig. Let me know what requirements would be needed for this project. This really should not be difficult to construct a sign.

What a moron. I thought about emailing him and asking about some dental work. Tell him I got some prices from other dentists and their prices were outrageous. I would need caps, veneers and implants and have a budget of $50 to $60. It shouldn't be difficult to do this.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dentists, what can I say. A while back a dentist wanted me to re-gild his old sandblasted redwood sign. 23K of course. I think I told him 5, 6 hundred dollars. He said he'd think about it. The guy had even brought the sign to my place to look at it. But off he went and I never heard from him again. I had another dentist want a quote for doing vinyl lettering on his windows, gave him a quote,,,,never called me back. "What do you call a doctor who flunks medical school? A dentist." Yes, I think I am becoming a " Anti-Dentite ".

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let 'er rip Dennis -

If you can provide his e-mail address I'd like to submit a proposal with how I "fit the gig".

This could be a lot of fun......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I would like his email address,too. I bet if enough of us send him quotes, he will understand that the price of a good sign is like the price of good dental work.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask and ye shall receive. Here's the link to the ad.

idiot dentist

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure would be nice if he would have shown his old sign or the type he expected .. wood heck MDO costs now are outrageous, compared to early 80s

Alumacore and vinyl would be ok at least near anyway not sure about permits, mounting etc would fit in tho.

Redwood Sign would even $1000 cover the cost of

How come this is the only trade people try to SET the price of what it should cost.

hmm which reminds me..thanks

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this arrogant dentist should see this display of humility, somewhere else in the world.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/19/12822354-roadside-dentist-carves-dentures-to-order-in-india?lite&__utma=14933801.350177907.1342458962.

These guys don't need no steeeenkin' expensive signs.

RD

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, there's nothing to it. thewealthydentist.com will tell him why spending more on signs can put $1,000,000 in his pocket by retirement.

http://thewealthydentist.com/dental-marketing/dentalsigns.htm

As long as he doesn't read this part
quote:
Learn how to negotiate with the local signage companies – Tip: they are virtually all thieves!

[ July 29, 2012, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Whatley ]

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have had mixed results dealing with dentist.
Just know it going in and let's not let this sour our attitudes again.
we have already griped at the Wealthy Dentist dot com before.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason some people have this mentality that signs should be free or dirt cheap. It was those type of people I would refer to the local vinyl shop when I was in the sign business. Even when I was hungry I would still turn them away. You get what you pay for.

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure I could make a sign that would be even less than that that would save home money because we are going to go over your existing sign with a durable high quality long last light weight plastic material known in the trade as "sign skin" (sometimes called coroplast. Its like bath fitter when they cover your tub and rotting walls.

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the two dentists we've built signs for, both bought 2-sided sandblasted HDU signs costing in the thousands. A third prospect never bought a sign but two out of three ain't bad.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm immediately suspicious of any business with a Clearwater address. Anybody who lives in that area probably knows what I'm talking about.

Very nice beaches, though.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean no one can Can supply him a sign for a grand? No One here?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I immediately thought of thewealthydentist.com when this thread showed up. All the hoopla and response directed his way a year or so back must have had some effect.

My recollection is that his site at the time said about sign companies:

"Tip: they are all thieves!"

Now, he says:

"Tip: they are virtually all thieves!"

Now, doesn't that make you feel better about the whole thing?

[ July 30, 2012, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please email me with your abilities, ideas and how you feel you would be a good fit for this gig.
I'm not going to fill out a job application everytime I consult with a prospect. My 'abilities' can be viewed in my showroom or website. My Ideas deserve some commitment on his part first.
quote:
Let me know what requirements would be needed for this project.
I would advise him on size and material recommndations within his budget parameters. A budget of $500 would probably involve vinyl on a flat substrate with few frills, $1000 might get him a smaller dimensional sign, but I would would need a deposit before giving any further.
quote:
This really should not be difficult to construct a sign
Some folks really need to "DIY" a few things; maybe they would learn more than just how to do it..........

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I was closer, I'd call the guy. Yep, he could get a sign for under $500.00. But, I would be sure to tell him about how some of his other Dentists buddies have much nicer signs. I'd even show him some pictures, saying "See, wouldn't you like to have a sign like this?" If he says no, well then he gets what he wants.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Resident

Member # 1062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter   Author's Homepage   Email Peter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, dentists, dealing with them is like pulling teeth... [Wink]

Did a carved sign for one about 10 years ago, really should have threw him out on the curb but hung in there. At one point during the design/pricing stage he comes in all indignant, "I did some research on the internet to see how much your materials cost!"... as if I'm not allowed to mark up materials. I'm sure he never marks up those crowns he has made. And I wonder if he jumps down his auto mechanic's throat for charging $60 for a part you can get for $20 at the parts store.

It came close to the breaking point when he piled the wife and kids into the SUV one afternoon to take a trip down to the sign shop to see how his sign was progressing. When his wife came out with, "that's not the right blue" I had to remind her through gritted teeth that it was the blue her husband approved.

Anyway, the sign still looks mint 10 years later. Not that he would ever acknowledge as much.

Oh, had another one a few months ago, wanted a price on a new carved wood sign as his previous one was split neatly in half down the middle. He wanted me to match exactly what he had, which was overdesigned with borders and filligrees, all of which were filled with gold. I like to design with a minimum of gold to emphasize it, but this sign was wall-to-wall gold. I gave him a high price, reminding him of the current market price of gold. He huffed and puffed and said he'd call me.

Two weeks later I drive by and wow, what sign company did he get to do a new sign that quickly?! He didn't. It was the old sign, wedged back between the posts with the split clearly showing through the middle....

--------------------
Pete M.
Jet Signs
Farmingdale, NY
www.jetsignsoflongisland.com

Posts: 348 | From: Farmingdale, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep!

Some folks are "Maroons"!!!

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the "idiots" defense he did post on CL for a sign.....thats like going to walmart for fine jewelry

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Apparently his idiot brother is in the food truck business.

Proposal - I am looking for someone to wrap my 6'X10' Concession trailer and my Jeep cherokee to match, ( please see the pictures) I am Starting this from scratch and have invested every dime I have to get it up and running. I am looking for a beginner in the field that wants a lot of visibility or a professional seeking to expand into food truck arena, I would like you to design it with my logo and install it - in exchange I would allow you to use one back door and a corner on each side, as well as the tailgate on the Jeep for your own advertisement. I am planning on moving heavily into the Food Truck Rallies as soon as I have this completed. I also will be opening at every Home football game at the Durant High School as well as Traveling to all the Hillsborough County Marching band Showcases. I am currently set up at the corner of Lithia Pinecrest and Miller Road a very heavily traveled area. I would really like to have both completed by the 20th of August in time for our first Football game against Bloomingdale ( 300-400 attendees) please respond if this is something you would be able to handle.

His actual Craigslist ad is gone from being flagged by sign people.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!