Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I think the old guy still has it :) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I think the old guy still has it :)
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to help make this into a font!

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles, I think I know where there's an alphabet Steve did 9 years ago. The girl Steve did it for is in Mississippi but her parents are in Vestal NY & it's probably there.
I hope Steve likes this idea ......
If I can get hold of it, I'll send it to you.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 474 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say my scripts are all just variations of Mike Stevens, Bob Behounek, Keith Kneith, Bob Harper and others I woulds call showcard artists. For many years, I struggled to try and make my scripts "bounce" and flow. Great handwriting reminds me of a wave.

Many of Mike and Bob's scripts are already available from Dave Simpson at Sign DNA, but if there is still an interest, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Mike at The Fontry has always been great support, as well as a friend to Letterville. So how do I do this Mike? Give me a call. [Smile]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I would guess any good brush style is a combination of what the painter has picked up from others - you just happened to hang out with the BEST!

Let me know how I can help make the "Shortreed Script" font a reality.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You still have the "snap" with the old brush Steve! Great job!

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really lovely work.
You have always been so talented, it's nice to see you putting your skills to good use.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some thinking lately. Do you realize that it has been 15 years since computers changed our craft forever. There's a whole generation out there that has no idea what a sign painter was. That includes many of my own Family and friends.

It's suddenly hit me that some of us have dropped the ball. In my own case I have been sitting on my ass waiting to die and generally being miserable. Time for a change while there is still time.

I have Sons and Grandsons that want to learn to hand letter. Just my own opinion, but my love of Letterheads is based on hand lettering, goldleaf, wall dogging, showcards, pinstriping and all the little tips and tricks I was taught by my heros.

Consider this an appeal from a guy just waking up from a long sleep. Get out your paint and brushes. Grab yourself a pounce wheel, projector and all those other cool tool sign painters use.

Pass on "the old ways" to those that want to learn. I have a feeling the day will come when hand lettering will be cool again. The new popularity of pinstriping is a good example. I've discovered a couple kids locally that have "discovered" Ed Roth, Von Dutch, Alan Johnson and others that were my heros at their age. My Son John has a huge ratfink tattoo curtosy of his big Brother Adam.

If this Letterhead thing has a future, we must look back to the birth of the whole dream. Big meets are wonderful, but I still prefer inviting a few people over to the 18X24 old sign shop and just share everything you know. Hamburgs and pizza are great. You don't need door prizes and all the frills. A few guitars are always nice in case a jam breaks out. Mark knows what I mean. [Smile]

Anyone have any red sable shocard brushes squirreled away? Contact me. [Smile]

[ August 03, 2012, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Renaissance time......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some showcard brushes I'll send you, Steve. I haven't used them since college. I HATED showcard class. Maybe I'll drop them off in person and you can show me how they're supposed to be used!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Love to see you Terry. It gets boring just sitting around here in Fergus. Love to see some of the old gang show up. Be nice to see the old shed full of Letterheads and Pinheads again.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending out an "SOS"? [Wink]

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never done hand lettering.....hmmmm, maybe I should give it a whirl!

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!