Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Sign Shop businesses for sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign Shop businesses for sale
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just entering that subject headline on Google and stopped counting after 20 pages showing various sign businesses for sale.

Does not bode well as I see it across the board...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forward.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sign business is dying the death.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a good thing I am semi-retiring now. We both have S/S so we don't have to hustle like we used to. I can see it happening all over...especially for us old dinosaurs.

Oh-well....t'was a good run fer sure. I have really enjoyed the ride......after all...it's just a ride.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackson ... we may not be as busy as in the old days ... but when they have to have some hand lettering ... we can command premium prices!

Being semi retired also helps!

[Rolling On The Floor]

Gotta lern ta spel chek!

[Bash]

[ July 24, 2012, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea if this means anything or not. You can also type "fast food restaurants for sale" in google and get a massive number of hits as well...and my understanding is that fast food is stronger than ever.

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the big diff between a fast food place and a sign shop.........IS WHAT THEY OFFER & WHAT THEY GET PAID FOR THEIR PRODUCT.
most restaurants sell their food AT COMPARABLE PRICES to other restaurants.
SIGN SHOPS, cut each others throats ON PRICE TODAY!!!!
in the end NO ONE WINS!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooops....double post.

I reckon I should keep both eyes open. Haha

[ July 25, 2012, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Jackson Smart ]

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally retired here...but I was just a vinyl jockey.

Earned a bunch of money by knowing how to run a business.

Signs will always be needed and the new guys will produce them.

Whether hand painted or computer produced.

Don't discount ALL of the computer guys...some like Dan S. dont do too bad!!! [Big Grin]

[ July 24, 2012, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come on mr.wills and mr.jackson,.......... the ride only ends when ya put the kickstand down!.... i've never had an interest in retirement, and besides, i can't really affort it. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I see this as a journey to the end.....business may be dead, but artist live forever..........

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good Mr. Wills, you don't know how glad I am to have taken the plunge when I did and got into this sign game. To have worked with the brush. To have met and worked with you. To have met all the Letterheads I have, and to have worked with a few. It pains me to see what is happening to the sign trade, even over here. I have met a few very talented sign men here. One does a lot for the movie studios who does amazing work, but very little, if any, by hand. I can't afford to go to a letterheads meet here, 400 bucks for a weekend is out of the question. I could see this coming when the 4B showed it's ugly head. If the environment people could see the waste going into the trash, the "trade" would be in trouble.

To all of you in the CONUS, hello! I miss being there with you. Keep that paint moving.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only laugh at sign shops up for sale if here in town.

70% of what is produced these days is just letters & graphics on a board, you have to study it to figure out most.

So sign shops for sale reminds me of going to sign school 10% actually came close to finishing and continuing on.

Just like anything else guess that is what makes freedom & capitalist great, ya try and do something ya like it awhile and get out others benefit or plunder what make life awesome.

What will happen to advertising surely people of all levels of economics will in the future, most will go high tech the rest low tech.

Life is grand.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

haha.....my kick stand is still up, I am standing here with both feet on the ground but can't afford to put gas in the tank....but hey, I sure do look cool with this bad ass ride!

(key word) Semi-retired. Still working but not as hard. Just as Si says.....charging the premium!

Yowzaaaa.

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So having had the interesting ride with paint and vinyl and creating ancillary products for the industry, I say a hearty adios.
I now contract to proprietary clients, my graphic design skills and have developed a colored pencil drawing program for schools and senior centers.
It's not screaming hot yet but on the move. I choose to target as many people on the planet as possible under these current economic conditions.
It's not easy these days but ya gotta stay on the move.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always Marvel, Marcel

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a sad testament, to a wonderful trade. I guess most of uas saw it coming.

At present, I'm very happy I have little overhead, and am gearing myself to doing work for selected customers....people who know my work and are willing to pay for hand-crafted work. There are still a number of people out there, and someone else can take the rest.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not ready to sell mine just yet.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see a sign shop for sale, I wonder what they are selling?? Is there real estate? Are there employees that can run it? Where is the value in buying a one person shop in a rented facility? If I were young, I'd go head on with the person that wanted out and start my own business. I think about what I have to sell when I want to retire. My dream was to have an apprentice that wanted to take over the business. The apprentice thing went south with the computers and vinyl for me.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is not enough work to cover the overhead, that's the end.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got a different version of Google than I do apparently. I get 20 pages of business brokers offering to sell sign shops. Things may have changed in the industry but I can point you to a whole lot of "vinyl jockeys" who are thriving right now, even in a down economy.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most everything I do is hand done. I don't even own a gerber 4b. Last year I needed a line of helvetica for a logo, but too much grief to drive over to get it and waste a half hour talking to the Fast Sign guy who always looks like he is about to close his doors. I banged it out and spent an extra hour loving the maul stick, once again.

I have been window splashing for now 23 years, full time. My business has been very consistent over the years. I have raised my prices to keep up with the times, but basically have the same standard of living I did when I staretd out. The key is to follow up clients and keep cold calling new ones.

There are always shops for sale. Walk into any independent body shop and ask them if they want to sell out...or any barber shop or any used car lot. Small operators always are for sale. A few fail because they don't cash flow and more fail becuase they do not like to go after it correctly. I still believe if you make signs and keep your overhead as low as possible, you will do well. There is always a need for creativity and always an overabundance of undertalented people out there trying to make it. There is no dying thing abouyt the sign business. Do you see less and less retail businesses out there? Did they stop building strip malls and new commercial buildings just because the recession hit? It is all about the basics. Work is its own reward!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your market is what you make it, IMHO. Dave G. is spot on.

Being diversified has really helped level out the rollercoaster ride for us.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I know? I am just a hapless loser... LOL!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a double post...

[ July 28, 2012, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Bowers ]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an easy business to get up and going and you can do it individually or have employees. To be successful you have to be able to connect with people and provide them with the service they need.

I think once you get going you have to be conscious of making a profit. You need some luck, you need a good market, you need to be a student of your trade and you have to be willing to work your ass off. At the 10 year level if your still around you should make a decision to either keep going or get out.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!