Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » foamboard cutouts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: foamboard cutouts
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a customer 2 years ago ask me if we could make a standup cutout like these celebrity cardboard standups you see at gift shops. She said they cost $100 on line and about $20 to ship them. She didn't like that they came folded in half with a crease in the waistline area. She asked me if we could make them without folding them which I said yes.

They will pick them up anyway, so there was no need to fold them over. Plus they will save shipping cost. I thought it was just going to be one standup. She ordered 5 for the Senior Girls high school basketball players! They provided a professional digital camera image which we enlarged to actual size of each girl. They came out perfectly clear. We mounted them on foamboard, cut them out with an xacto knife and I made a easel back support out of coroplast and double-stick taped it on the back so they stood up. It takes about 45 minutes from start to finish for each one.

We have now added the BOYS basketball Seniors after they saw what we made for the Girls Seniors. The word is spreading and another local school is placing an order this coming season.
Do you think $100 each is a fair price? It is quite a keepsake after they graduate. I am attaching a photo of a recent cutout of a girl that is now playing college ball.
 -

My graphic designer Amanda is posing next to the standup to show how life-like they look. Of course Amanda is only 5'1" tall so you can see a slight height difference!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly Steve, I think that is a really low price, the print alone is worth at least that much....2ftx 5ft at $8 .. $80.00 then you have to lay it down, cost of Board, labor to attach the easels, then cut to shape... Probably worth at least $150... but you have to get what you can and also you are doing multiples....

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,
You gotta decide if it is for love or money. You've priced it for love.
I would do the next batch for $175ish.
You can get this because they know the others have them. You will not get it if you do not ask.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking we could increase the price on the next order since we have done them for 2 seasons now. It really isn't time consuming when I get to do 5 at the same time. I did see them on the internet for $99.95 plus shipping, but I think since we are not having to fold them over for shipping, we can offer a better looking stand up. Thanks Neil and Bob for the insight on pricing. I think they are worth more and since we have proven that we can make them look great, I don't think we will have a problem raising the price.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this same dilemma with customers telling me the price they can get it for.
Actually expecting me to make something custom at a cookie cutter price. Customers should never dictate the price.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Steve,
I would easily be in the $250 range. But, I would use Gatorfoam instead of foam board.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Bob Sauls reply!!

It's perfectly acceptable to tell your clients that the increase in price is from underestimating the job originally and you need to adjust or it is costing YOU . . . and that it is NOT price gouging. They will appreciate the honesty.

And isn't that the truth anyway, Steve? [Wink] What would 'Honest' Abe Lincoln do? [Smile]

That said, if they could contact the other company about not folding theirs, ship it unfolded for $20, then your price would need to reflect that reality.

But I doubt it could be shipped for $20 so the $150.00 to $200.00 seems pretty close to fair (to me) - and parents today would pop for that with no problem at all . . . but THAT is another topic in itself!!

(We like UltraBoard - or any styrene faced foam board. It doesn't curl or bend easily)

Good luck!

[ July 11, 2012, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Jay Allen ]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think about Gatorboard or UltraBoard at first because of the cost. Both of those boards are a little pricey and regular foamcore/foamboard is less expensive. So.. if I were pricing it at $10 per square foot and the tallest guy is around 6ft+/- tall, we are right about 12 square feet. ($120.) I'm digitally printing and installing on foamboard and adding a coroplast easel to the back so it can stand up.
Add an extra $30 for the easel/labor and we are at $150. Am I about right or do you think it still is too cheap? This is not the kind of job we get everyday so I'm trying to not shoot myself in the foot here by overcharging.

If I were to use stronger material that Checkers suggested,which is also more cost, I think I could get $200+ per cutout, but I think it may be overkill. It definitely would last longer, but I'm not sure the parents would go for it. I might be a cheapskate, but if my kid were one of the graduating seniors, I don't think I'd go over the $150 mark.

I want to be fair, but I don't to lose money either. I can knock these out pretty fast, but I now feel they are worth more. Thanks for the advice and input everyone. I'll let you know when I get the next order and see what happens.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These cut outs would be the perfect place for a cut-all saw rather then a exacto or saber saw.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steve,
I used Gatorfoam because they typically were being used as part of a trade show or POP display that was subjected to a fair amount of abuse.

As a personal item, I would have no problem using Fome-cor or other lightweight substrate and I think $150-$175 would be a fair price - as long as you know you're not losing money.

If you have access to a flatbed printer and can get them to order at least 2 at a time, you could work on offering a discounted price in the $100-$125 range - figuring ~$75 for materials and printing and maybe an hour to assemble.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Hey Len,
What is a cut-all saw and what does it look like?
I have a Saws-all saw but it is heavy duty and used to cut big tree limbs or 4x4 wood post off at the ground level.

I was looking for some kind of small electric tool saw that would be similar to an electric carving knife but smaller. I haven't found anything yet that wouldn't destroy foamboard! I have a Dremel tool but it doesn't cut like a knife. It is better for carving and shaping.

Just wondering if anyone has a unique tool for cutting out shapes....

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try a rotozip to cut it with steve

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve
A cut-all was a very popular tool years back that many theater's and window dressers used for cutting displays on many materials, I'm not really sure if they are still made today. If I remember correctly someone here found one a short while ago. A very versatile tool for what you are doing.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Len are they like a jig saw with 2 handles? or a hand saw?

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

what about a router with a spiral bit in it?

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cut-all, now that's a blast from the past!

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

I haven't had much luck with a roto-zip giving me a clean cut line, but it may be my lack of experience using one. I will try it and see if I can handle it.

Len, can you post a photo of that Cut-All tool? Maybe someone here knows where I can find one.

Thanks guys for the help.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve ... Cutawls date back to buggy whips and spats!

http://www.cutawlmachine.com/

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like a cool tool...but didn't see any for sale.
There is one on ebay > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutawl-K-11-Portable-Cutting-Machine-In-Original-Box-/290743565372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b1aabc3c

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

They were the first portable plotter!

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought one last year for $40.00 on Craigslist. I spent a little time cleaning and fixing it up and replacing the bulbs. There is a guy on ebay that does sell the blades, which are hard to find. I plan on playing with it to get a feel for it.

The company on Si's link sells parts and some supplys for the machine. I believe they have some new machines for sale as well, but not sure.

It seems like the perfect tool for the job. One of the blades is a smooth, sharp, knife-type edge. You can also buy knife edge blades for a jigsaw too.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Check out you tube, cutawl machines there are some good video's on how they work.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cnc ruoter.. cuts one out in about 12 minutes.
Print the pic. Bring it into your easy smeasy CAD. draw an outline for a tool path.. DONE!

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Steve . . . Let your client make the decision on which material to use. Offer both - extol the virtues of both - then let them decide. Then you can sell either at the same profit.

When your customer feels empowered, you'll get the sale . . . which doesn't matter if the profit is equal.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

That's a good idea Jay! If they want the cutouts to last longer, then the gatorboard would be the way to go. The decision can be theirs. I think I was just trying to keep it inexpensive for the parents without giving them a choice. My mistake.
Gotta look at the big picture and think about offering options.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!