Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Adhesive for sandblast resist on wood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adhesive for sandblast resist on wood
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope someone can remember this....

At one time I had a product that was an adhesive for sandblast resist for wood. You would roll it on, let it tack up and apply your resist to the wood. Seems it has been missing for a few years now. I have a project I am doing for a friend...(free-bee). He wants me to set it up for him so he can sandblast a piece of maple but I don't have any adhesive. Does anyone know of something else I can use that will hold the resist to the wood during sandblasting?

Wood glue...?
Spray glue...?

It also has to be removed after it is blasted.
I don't want to purchase another can because I don't do any wood signs here...just Urethane.

Hep me....hep me...

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackson, the sandblast resist made by Anchor for blasting raw wood has a very strong adhesive on it already. So much so that on redwood or cedar it will actually tear some of the wood off during removal. I wouldn't add any extra adhesive if you have the high tack stencil. Warn your customer though, he won't get a real deep blast on hardwood. I blasted an oak blank once and it took a very long time to get a depth of just over an eighth inch, by which time the rubber had just about had it. The rubber on any small detail will not hold up on hardwood.

[ July 09, 2012, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a can of stuff, still out in the barn which was once my sign shop. Been out there for probably 15 years. Best I can recollect, I opened the lid, took one whiff, and could feel my brain cells frying. It would probably cost a fortune to send your way. For bare wood, I would use Anchor Continental #155 high tack stencil. That way, you don't need to mess around with the stinky solvent.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks fellas....

Looks like I should scrap the sandblast idea. I don't have any high tack stencil....so maybe I will do it with a router.

Dave...thanks for the reminder about hardwood. You are correct about that. I had forgotten. I used cedar in the past.

Wayne....Yikes. I remember that smell also now that you mention it. Thanks :-)

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Hartco 425 on raw wood without any problems.... probably on over 800 signs by now. It doesn't need any adhesion enhancer.
I can't cut Anchor on my plotter. It stretches all over the place, kinda like trying to cut pantyhose.
I don't like the way it adheres to Corafoam though, so I always roll on a very thin coat of FreshStart first ........ just enough to make it stick.
I can't imagine why it wouldn't stick to maple, but Dave's absolutely correct ..... sandblasting any hardwood is a slow tedious process.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 475 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodger, I've always wondered about you and your pantyhose comment verifies my suspicions......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When cutting the Anchor 153 or 155(high tac) on my Ioline plotter......

#1 I cut what I need for the job off the roll, adding 1.5" for the grit shaft.

#2 clean the white powder off the front side of the stencil and the Mylar edges.

#3. Clean all my pinch wheels with rubbing alcohol.

#4 Align it in the plotter using 24 lb. pinch wheels on the Mylar edges only. I further stabilize it by using one 8 lb pinch wheel directly onto the stencil material at each end, about 4 inches in from the edge. Double check the tracking.

#5 Set the cut length in the software to cut only about 12" to 16" at a time.

#6 set the maching on the lowest speed.

It never stretches and I get perfect cuts. But after this last job of 12 signs, I'm retiring the stencils and selling the sandblaster. It's a 600# capacity pot mounted on a little trailer. Anyone interested?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have some low tack sandblast mask on hand, you can try prefinishing the wood. The low tack stuff usually sticks fairly well to gloss paints and clears. Of course, if this job calls for natural wood, that's not an option.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

That would be my first choice, David. That's why I use Anchor #153. Anymore, I only use the higher tac 155 for stone. It will even stick very well to rough sandstone and will hold up to some deep blasting without the need of an adhesive or anything.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, can you post a couple of pics here or in the classifieds of your pot?
No Sonny ....... not THAT kind of pot!

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 475 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I posted it in the classified's, Rodger.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Thanks again for your replies everyone.

I think I am going to abandon the sandblast idea. It is more work than I want to get into on this project. It is for a friend and it is his maple piece. I think I will rout it with my hand held router. He will be happy with that.

Thanks again everyone....

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne...I love the smell of "stinky solvent" in the morning.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Now we understand. [Eek!]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!