Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Shaky hands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shaky hands
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought this subject up once before and it seems most of the hand letterers among you said they usually, after not doing any lettering for a while, just picked up the brush and got in the swing right away. What I want to ask now is whether any of you oldtimers, say over 70, have found that your hand is not nearly so steady as it once was. Mine sure isnt, but I;m not sure whether it's simply age, or maybe due to other things that are keeping me more tensed up.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not over 70...but sneaking up on it (67). I've not found that my hand is shaky, but it does have a tendency to cramp up more quickly - probably just like exercising any muscles that you haven't used for awhile.

One thing that I have noticed is that I don't see the end of the brush as accurately as I did forty years ago. Those little outlines keep moving around more than they did.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am a year or two younger than 70 yet have been doing my thing for a year or two under 60 years, so does that count?
I don't shake very often but have found when doing design work my mind wanders and my wrist tightens up along with my fingers and I sometimes shake. When doing straight lines as what I am noted for, the tighter my wrist, the straighter the line and I do not shake.
I find crafted soaps to be very helpful and do not use petro soaps as your skin absorbs harmful chemicals and their toxins can lodge into your cells, tissues, and muscles, and eventually overwhelm your entire immune system. This may sound crazy to some but using solvents in my daily routine is lessened by my not using reducers and such in the paints I use and washing afterwards by using a citrus based cleaner and than a natural oil as whats in Burts Bees completes my work day and my hands feel great..

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis, i am fighting shakey hands. After along long stint of delegating the hand lettering to another. Some of mine is just being out of practice but I did break my right elbow a year or so back. I did the occupational therapy it helped but mainly to show how much our dexterity is compromised by 6 months of in activity.
The more i paint the better it comes back but i do not think that I'll ever be back to enduring 4-6 hours of hand lettering a day ever again, but then again there is not a need for that too often. paint man, paint.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis, I don't get to hand letter too much, but every year I letter a bunch of footballs and basketballs for awards banquets. Also a very occasional wall or whatever project.

What I do get is a cramped hand so that I almost have to pry my fingers open! But if I squeege too much vinyl I get real painful wrists... So what the hell I guess it's from being 74.

Anyway I enjoy what I do, especially the design part.

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only 61, but have not had any shakiness, yet. I have had a mystery tick in various parts of my arms and legs for years that comes and goes and moves around. Once it was an eyelid and everyone thought I was winking at them. It lasts a few months and then is gone for maybe six months to appear somewhere else. My cardiologist thinks ot is some virus in my central nervous system and may be affecting my ticker somewhat. I do have some arrythmia they cannot seem to arrest, so any minute I might just drop dead. If it ain't the lead in the paint, it is something else.

I exclusively hand letter. Eight hours is about as long as I can go at it any more. Last week I had 140 windshioelds to paint for a GMC dealer and by the end I was dragging for sure, but no shakiness. My left arm that holds the paint gets a bit sore, but no effect on my right money arm.

Sometimes I have to pull long 1" lines to outline a splash sign.... a box that is maybe 40 foot long with 50" windows. If I have alot of these to do, I do find using penetrol in my poster black or ultra blue does make a big difference in pulling long and straight lines. So much of it is the brush and the paint consistency.

I drink plenty of coffee, especially when it is colder. No change in my steadiness, but then again, I can drink coffee at night and do not have any trouble sleeping. Years ago when I drank alcohol, I wondered if that would help, but I see really no difference being 100% alcohol free, today. Maybe it is just me or that my age is not advanced enough yet, but I hope the steadiness never changes.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Wino's hands shook until he took that swig and palleted his brush...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunch of young whippersnappers!

No shakes here and I will be 78 next month ... although I do have to stop and flex my fingers a bit before I start lettering (arthritis).

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am almost 71 and have been lettering for 32 years. I find shakiness comes and goes. I letter in the dreaded hand over hand position and i get by. Seems like the brush gets in my sight line a lot more than it used to. Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 67, not quite 70, but don't seem to have any shakiness yet; however, my right arm is still a bit on the weak side, since my stroke. Even tho the strength is slowly coming back, I have to use a mahl stick for most lettering, to support my hand/wrist, and working up over my head is more difficult. Still, I thank God that I am able to do it at all. Many others have been less blessed.

I do still get a kick out of "spectators" commenting about my little cup of Penetrol ( I use those disposable clear punch cups), "They always keep a shot of whiskey nearby, so they don't shake." Little do they know, it's not in the cup; it's in a glass jar, in my box...hehehehe.......

[ July 07, 2012, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor asked the man, "How long have you had that twitch in you eyelid?" the guy replies,
"Ever since my wife saw me winking at the young lady."

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!