Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Any Arcola Info?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Arcola Info?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is, Friday evening. Has anyone heard how things are going in Arcola?

[ June 22, 2012, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie Lohmeyer
Visitor
Member # 2076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernie Lohmeyer   Email Bernie Lohmeyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go here dave ..........http://creativesignmakers.proboards.com/

--------------------
Bernie Lohmeyer
Bernman Graphics
Osage City, KS

Posts: 268 | From: Osage City,Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erie Patsellis
Visitor
Member # 13122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erie Patsellis   Author's Homepage   Email Erie Patsellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
seeing as how I live 20 mins away (even though no longer actively painting/striping), I'll be stopping over later this afternoon, I'll let you know how things are progressing.

--------------------
Erie Patsellis
E. Patsellis Creative Services
304 East Monroe, Sullivan, IL

Posts: 1 | From: Sullivan, IL | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are some pics here

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to more photo's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tourismguy/sets/72157623539925157/

Sure wish we could have been there it looks like it was another great success [Applause]

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a few backsides that I recognized, and a BUNCH that I didn't.

Really wish I coulda been there.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The town of Arcola, Illinois opened their town, their homes, and their hearts to us this past week as we put brush to brick.
Each of these Walldog events is unique and this one was no different.
We were joined again by the amazing Jeff Harvey from New Zealand, and this time he brought a Kiwi clan with him- Elvis, Morris, Bruce and Anne. We were also joined by Stuart from Scotland and Paul Jordan from Australia. Add in Francisco and it was an accent festival to be sure. The talent they delivered was intense and brought the entire event to an even higher level.
The weather was generally good, with only one minor rain shower in the middle of the event...which cooled things down and was appreciated.
Bill Diaz brought back the initiation of new Walldogs with fire and zeal. I think we're all waiting to see how he'll top it in Kewanee, Illinois next year.
I sensed a special unity this year. Each family has internal issues and frictions and we are no different. There was some laughter, some talk and some recognition of the value each of us brings to these events.
Personally, I am regularly humbled by the transformation we bring to each town we visit. The curiosity of the town turns to amazement as all the planning begins to pay off. Art appears almost instantly across the face of the town. Traffic that has been the same for decades begins to shift as people come to see the new murals. The appreciation clear on the faces of old and young alike.
There were some highlights, to be sure. More than I'll remember here:
-We discovered why Dean is called Elvis as he took the stage and knocked all of us over with his voice. I tell you in full honesty that as he hit a high note on one song a lady in the front row began to cry. Other Walldogs followed and made clear that painting is but only one talent in our diverse and amazing family.
-The Amazing Lawn Rangers from Arcola provided a parade that I shall not forget. Even now I'm working to confiscate all images of me in a kilt as I pushed my lawnmower and broom about town. What I was wearing underneath is a secret I'll take to the grave.
-Wheels on the ground. A new Walldog named Craig arrived without his bicycle (lost in shipping). His bicycle is his mode of transportation back home and represents a piece of his independence. Between Walldogs (including my close friend John Ingles) and a local bicycle shop we provided Craig with some new wheels and a completely new outlook on the event. It showcased the generosity of spirit that signifies what we try to represent.
-Arcola. To be honest, some towns need us more than others. Some were disappointed by the outcome of the auction. I believe that it highlighted how much our help was needed. The sincerity of the "Thank You" I received from so many was deep and personal. It is no exaggeration to say that it was a spiritual boost for this particular town.

The pictures are beginning to arrive and the stories are all still fresh. Those of you who could not make it were dearly missed. The sharing of knowledge, paint, and help was widespread.

I am honored to have taken part and look forward to the anniversary of the Walldogs next year.

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, your commentary nailed it. Anyone who's ever attended a Walldog meet already knows about those magic moments that seem to just happen. This is about way more than just painting a bunch of murals. The shared sense of purpose, the interaction and ultimate bonding of the artists and the locals, the sense of pride at such an incredible art legacy, and the anticipation of next year's meet as Arcola fades in the rear-view mirror. Except for a 12 hour nap when I got home last night, my feet still haven't touched the ground.

I'm proud to say that Doug and several of us were privileged to march with the world-famous Lawn Rangers, a precision lawn mower and broom drill team that was invited to perform at the last presidential inauguration. We participated in an orientation which consisted of 45 minutes of heavy chugging and 3 minutes of instruction in their signature maneuvers "Walk the Dog" and "Cross and Toss". I'll leave it up to the cheering crowds (hecklers) to rate our professionalism, but I am honored to be a lifetime member of a group whose maturity (or lack therof) equals mine.

There were also many poignant moments, notably the father-daughter collaboration of Russell and Bridget Kelly, my Toronto superstars and the dedication of Dave Correll's Joe Ernst mural. Other surprises: Dale's Monster Moon-Lander DVD player, the scripted and costumed initiation ceremony by the inimitable Diaz family, the downunder bunch, Elvis, the hot bartender at It'll Do Bar, the Hippie Memorial.... I could go on and on but you get the picture.
Reiterating Doug's sentiments, we missed all of you who couldn't make it this year and hope you'll join us in Kewanee next year.
A chance to hang out with Sunset and Alicia should be all the incentive you really need.

Here's a link to my pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ralphcartee/Arcola?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-48_3EyZWTCg#

and a link to Lawn Rangers:
http://worldfamouslawnrangers.blogspot.com/

BROOMS UP - SEE Y'ALL IN KEWANEE......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3598142984458.2148634.1000008976&type=1&l=347e88c2ff

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the pics guys! I see a lot of faces in there that I would have loved to say hi to.

Lord willing I hope to see them all next year.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We missed you Sam. But we had a blast! We are beat today though! Did anyone get the whole initiation on tape? Mine cuts out, dang it!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at all these pictures, how did everybody stay so clean?
Great pictures! I can't paint vwry well, but I sure would like to come to a wall dog meet and help. I had fun doing the
Foodland mural at the Mars meet and Cornwall. Maybe next year.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a "few" more pics from Arcola

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151877134790096.887363.859115095&type=3

We had a great time down in Arcola with our Walldog Family. It was very nice getting to see and visit with some of our far away family friends again. As well as celebrating our one year wedding anniversary with our dearest of friends.

It's hard to put into words the kind of fellowship found at each and every one of these great events.

peace

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the best coverage ever of a walldog event.
Thanks to all of you, it was hard to miss it, but now finally,I have seen it all.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset Regall
Resident

Member # 11140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset Regall   Author's Homepage   Email Sunset Regall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you guys!!

http://minus.com/mvY5WU4SY/1g

Sunset...xoxoxo

--------------------
Sunset Regall
SUNSET DESIGNS
sunssette@gmail.com
www.sunsetsdesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: chico, ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you...Great Shots!! it was a blast in Arcola!!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were several people scheduled to attend that were dearly missed: Sam, Judy Pate, Eric Skinner, Kevin Betz, Mark Fair, Chris Elliott, Steve Estes, 2 Bernies, Don & Dora, Blake Wright, and of course our mentor Bill Riedel. (apologies for any omissions)
We were fortunate to see some others we weren't expecting, including Chris Schuster, Tom & Kathy Durham and Robert Beverly. Everyone who couldn't make it for health reasons, we'll say a prayer for you.....

[ June 27, 2012, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking work. Wish I could make it someday.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny, I know what you mean when you say your feet haven't touched the ground yet. What a rush I got this year working on the World Famous Lawn Rangers mural.

Doug was in complete command and things ran smoothly. He was able to adapt to our individual talents and handled artistic changes and suggestions like a true veteran.

Doug had confidence in me and turned me loose on the big letters. I really enjoyed working with the team and getting to know everyone better. We were blessed to have Alicia paint with us which was amazing.

Word is out that the southern boys are trying to get a walldog meet for a town in Florida or Georgia in the winter or early spring. Maybe we will get to have two events in one year!

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I got back Sunday nite. I missed the 4pm flight so I took the 6:30pm flight. Took all day Monday to get my mind back into gear. Arcola was a blast. Yeah, it was a bit too hot at times, it's summertime. I wished I could have painted on more of the murals that were there. I'd be a mural hog. And the Karaoke was an unexpected treat. I think we should include it in future events.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly Hall and I didn't get home til Monday night. Nothing like the top down and the wind blasting on your head to bring you around though. Thanks Arcola for a blast! Met some great new friends, met some great old friends! Humbling experience to work with Nancy Bennett on her wall. What a wonderful chick! Thank you Cornbread, and Arcola. See you folks in Illinois agin next year!

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/MrRooster818/arcola%202012/

had a great time it was like a family reunion even though Aaron taylor and I were on the wrong side of the tracks with Peaches crew. Here are my pictures.

Lovelady

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny, Steve Estes was there! He was helping on Nancy Bennett's wall. Sam, we WILL see you there next year.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Oops, sorry Steve - and one I left off the list was John Byrd, my Georgia cohort.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!