Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » General decline in quality of supplies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: General decline in quality of supplies
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the complaints about the decline in the quality of the products from the suppliers put the blame on the gvmt's grip on everything, but here's a case that's due simply to the manufacturer not caring about the customers or his own reputation.
I picked up a can of Bull's Eye Shellac at Ace Hardware the other day. No date on the can, unlike previously, so no way to tell how long it was good for. The only thing was a lot number -- S17142D. Does that tell you anything?
I asked the manager about it. He didnt know why there was no date, and had no idea what the lot number might mean. So I wrote RustOleum, which now owns Zinnser. Got a reply today, explaining that the lot number translates to:
S - ignore it
1 - 2011
7 - July
14 - the 14th
2 - ignore it
D - ignore it.
Now isnt that much more sensible than putting a date on the can?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sandblast stencil I have been using for years always had a powder you could wipe off easily with a wet paper towel. The powder they put on it now, rolls up, clots together and takes much longer to remove. But that is no biggie compared to another thing; the liner used to pull off easily but now, I almost have to hook a team of mules to the stuff to pull it off and, since I have already cut the design on a plotter, it's tenacity makes it difficult to keep it from coming off the transfer tape. I sure hope it doesn't cause any problems come blasting time. But I've prettyt much made up my mind that this will be my last sandblasted job. The router table might be slower, but much less trouble than lugging 100# sacks of sand, fighting that big blasting hose and wrestling with this stencil. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently got a batch of dibond from my usual supplier. Almost impossible to remove the protective liner, as Wayne suggested a team of mules required, but hadn't thought of that at the time. Rang my supplier, they followed up by contacting their Chinese supplier and later informed they now had a video available how to remove this stuff. They suggested standing on the sheets while trying to pull liner off them. Also said this would only apply to their current stock and in the future would switch back to original stuff. How helpful was that eh?

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stand on it? [Rolling On The Floor]

Take a 4.5' length of 3/8'' steel rod, chuck it in an eletric drill. Peel about 2'' of the liner off the Dibond and wrap it around the rod. Crank up the drill and hold on for dear life. It should roll it right off. But I'm with you; it shouldn't be that hard.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most companies these days dont care. Ive noticed a change in PVC for the worse. Im seeing 3/4" warp now, its lighter and you can tell by the way it routes its crap. Suppliers will deny it though

Im sure alot of stuff is coming from china and more will follow. You just thought we lived in a disposable world...just wait theres more to come

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne thanks I tried what you posted to take off the protective line! I now need a new window in the shop.)))))))))))

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also seen the general decline in quality of material - specifically substrates - and it's really disappointing because I would be willing to pay extra to get it right the first time.

If a vendor told me to stand on a sheet of material to pull off the laminate, that company would no longer be my vendor.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Dish:
Wayne thanks I tried what you posted to take off the protective line! I now need a new window in the shop.)))))))))))

Brian, I hope you're not serious...but remember I did say "hold on for dear life".....I learned the trick from someone here in Letterville, can't recall who at the moment, but I'll take the blame on this one. If your drill has a low torque setting, or variable speed, try setting it to "low", and stay away from fragile objects. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winehards Creme Soda, made from our 200 year old recipe

Ingredients: filtered water, High Fructose Corn Syrup............ Duh??

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a common thing nowadays, Joey. These companies make and distribute crap, and then look you in the eye and lie about it. That creme soda shoul've said "mountain crick water, pure comb honey, ....etc."

It's all about finding ways to make a product cheaper, FOR THEM, that they can pawn off on us, for the same price, or more.

And be very afraid......if a product you've bought for years, suddenly comes to you with a big bright tag on it that says "NEW AND IMPROVED".

[ June 04, 2012, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Another product we've been buying for several years used to be about as thick as clay and would not pour out of the can. Now it's watered down about enough to spray and the price has gone up about 50%
I guess everyone is just trying to "survive". I'm just thankful to be alive and kicking.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Brian Dish
Visitor
Member # 10782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Dish   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Dish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne I did hold onto the drill for dear life, the sheet is what went flying:) or is it the sh!t went flying.

--------------------
Brian
Vinyl Signs
Pittsburgh, PA.

Posts: 159 | From: Pgh., PA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Sorry man, it's a bad feeling knowing my advice ended in grief instead of helping out, Sorry it happened. [Frown]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!