Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do you turn it off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you turn it off
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I'm supposed to be "Semi-Retired" because of the leukemia thing. Got dianosed with CLL leukemia back in 2010. But I can't seem to stop myself from still promoting myself, stopping at new businesses that don't have signs, and just saying "No" to cetain types of jobs. I really love the thrill of landing the job. But I've got to say no, work less, and enjoy my personal life more. Man, I have a hard time saying, " I would love to help you, but I'm retired from doing that type of work now" How do you do it, slowly pull out.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,
We being artistic types are prone to fall into a trap far easier than folks in other professions. It is true that a life time plumber has invested much of himself in his business but not in the same way the artisan will in his own. Allow me to explain. We pour much of ourselves into this journey that we have chosen. Our reward is not only in the finished results or the piece but it is taking the actual journey itself or should I dare say the results are manifest in us, as we learn and discover what we are capable of. Here I must wax spiritual, I do strongly assert that we are exercising a gift that God has endowed us with and it is no minor affair the way we handle it. In some ways we have been called to play with fire. The ability to see the world with eyes that understand the play of light, depth and texture then to document it on media is only part of this. There is also the creative spring which flows with greater volumn as we are doing our ground work sketch-rework it-sketch again. I doubt that the busy artist will ever see the spring dry up. Remember where I believe that it flows from?

I believe in a very big God who has a plan with manifold pieces all working together in ways that we cannot comprehend. That is why I said it is no small affair. The sign that helps a lowly plumber get ahead may be the piece of the equation that funds his kids college, and who could ever know where the next great medical discovery might come from, a plumber's brat?

Again the journey is not to a specific destination it is what kind of sojourner we are becoming on the way. How can we not misplace our self-worth with what we do when we love the journey so very much?
I put forward all of this only to remind you of what goes on inside. I suspect you are wrestling with more than having to disappoint a client. Serve those that you can. Know that the gift is only offended by apathy then all out neglect.

You would be shocked at how many have asked me if I knew who SignMonkey is?

[ June 02, 2012, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have established yourself into a position where you can now "pick and choose" your clients. Take advantage of it, and let them know you don't work weekends anymore and spend more time for your personal life...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy the God-given skills and talents that you have, Alicia........but do it on your own terms now. Be free and happy to be able to pick and choose the type and quantity of work that you do. And don't feel guilty about not "having" to go to work at a certain time, or a certain amount of hours per day.

I wrestled with that too, after I had my stroke. But I didn't really want to retire; I loved what I do. Little by little, I've been able to get most of it back, but I've come to enjoy being able to say "NO" to certain types of work, and sticking to the more "craftsman-y" jobs that I always loved doing.

But now, it's do it your way, at your pace, and when you want to. Enjoy the new-found spare time you've got, and give God the thanks for it all.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it exciting, challenging, rewarding in some way bigger than $$$$ ? Go for it. If not, send it to someone that might appreciate it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just raise your prices and only do the work that excites you. Focus on your own happiness as you are turly one individual who has given so much to so many others with your indominable spirit and zest for life....and do not get any more speeding tickets!

My Uncle Dave lived twenty years with lukemia and had a fine quality of life. If I make it another twenty, I will feel like I beat the odds and all I have wrong with me is some rather benign arythmia.

As R. Crumb made Mr. Natural exclaim, "Hey Mr. Natural...what does it all mean?"...."Flakey Foont.... It don't mean sheet!"

[ June 02, 2012, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Preston McCall ]

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had always figgered that one day they would find me laying there at room temperature and a brush still in my hand.

But ... at 77 and with a really bad back ... I am enjoying semi retirement. I finally decided that working full time wasn't worth it anymore!

So I learned to say "No!" ... or to raise my prices to almost ridiculous levels.

Now I only do jobs that are fun or get extremely well paid.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for my customers though. Imagine how a person feels when their favorite mechanic, plumber, landscaper, or other service person retires. So in reality for me, maybe I shouldn't take any more new customers, unless it's something I really want to do. But when I'm driving down the road and I see a new business opening, it's gonna be hard to not stop and do a sales call or even leave one of my cards inside the door slot. And even worst, when I see see some crappy sign job and I think to myself "Ahh, I could have done that one way better"

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, find yourself a young artist with some of your skills......AND PASS WHAT YOU KNOW TO THEM. seriously. this will be the best for both of you.
i was diagnose with leukemia at 9 years old, and given 6 months!!!! turned out to be CAT SCRATCH FEVER. i died april 2011. I AM STILL WORKING........not as hard as i did, but still doing what i love to do. i also found a "kid" with a vinyl cutter, who really needs someone to explain a few of the things i have learned making signs for over 30 years. he has free range chickens and pays me with EGGS)))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia...I know nothimg about being "semi-retired". I am just plain old retired. I found it easy to do.

I know that you love attending and working on walldog projects though. Why not just quit/sell you business, fully retire and then just enjoy the walldogging that you love?

Best of both worlds maybe?

Best of luck in whatever or however you choose do do things.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you enjoying what you do?

I spend my "free time" working, and I'm fine with that.

Or hire some help and only do half the work yourself!

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 71 and still work full time. I have never done cold calls as the businesses always found me. I love what I do and would be bored to hell without it all. I actually took a 9 day vacation to visit a friend in the Caymans last winter. Will do it longer next year but I am perfectly happy working and also doing my paintings. Go figure.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

See, that's nice Jerry. I hope I never really completely retire. I'm just wanting to trim my work load down a bit. Maybe as I am talking to myself, grumbling about a particular job, I'll "Rehearse" the line about not doing that type of work anymore.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selling the final batch of signmaking equipment.
Don't knock on this door. Not even a mercy project.
Wasn't using it anyway...

Will create graphics though...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started saying no to projects that didn't appeal to me a long time ago. From time to time I do succumb and then wish I hadn't. When that happens I am reminded to only say yes to projects I love. Upping the price thins out some customers as well.

My ultimate goal is not to retire but to slow down to only the most extremely creative and well paid projects possible. It's not about the money but being able to get crazy with the projects I do take and still make good money no matter how involved they may get. Projects without a short deadline and no limits as far as the creativity goes are way more fun than working for a living by far.

Just say no thank you to everything else.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people might say that I have been semi-retired for years..... I guess I have just learned to say no, and for the most part only take on jobs that are fun and challenging ..... Which can include things that have nothing to do with painting.

One of my business cards says "Design and fabrication of cool stuff" which has brought me some really interesting work.... not always the best paying work, but things that feed my creative spirit.

You are a very creative and talented person, so only take on the projects that really speak to your spirit.... and spend more time on your own personal "cool stuff".... [Cool]

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Develop other interests. You may find a passion for something else as well.
So if you double your prices, how many customers will you lose? If you lose half, do the math you make the same $. Easier said than done, but it has some validity.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!