Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » $120 MILLION.........for nephew art??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $120 MILLION.........for nephew art???
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beauty is in the eye of the beholder..........and a FOOL and his money are soon parted meets here!!!!!
http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/02/11509256-painting-the-scream-sells-for-record-120-million-at-auction

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The seller and the auction house made out big time... I didn't do the math, but WOW... the auction house made a huge percentage on that baby.

I agree with you OP... not a huge fan of Vinnie.

This looks like something any person could crank out in 5 minutes with an 8-pack of Crayola Crayons.

It does seem to capture the horrors of the mentally disturbed to me...

I'd rather own an original Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson.

But true, art is and always will be a very personal thing.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ah, but it hasta be art, cause the fancy Art critics says so." Man, I'd like to show this painting to a child and see what his opinion of it would be compared to a picutre of "Curious George"

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again...not to say that this particular painting from 1893 was a precursor of the expressionist movement which started in the early 1900...

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always liked VanGogh's work. They say that in the right light (he painted by candlelight) his work is almost sculptural.

$120 million? Isn't the definition of worth "how much someone is willing to pay?" that would make it worth precisely $120 million and not a penny less.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had a real 'ear' for art.... er, I mean 'eye' for art.

The real irony... is I don't believe Vinnie made squat off his own art, did he? If not, maybe he could have gone into signmaking and hit the big times. Hehe

[ May 03, 2012, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the scream" is by Edvard Munch.

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the "Great Modern artists" that people scoff at were very adept and masterful of traditional aspects of their trade/discipline/capabilities long before they tried an alternative approach to their efforts.almost all of the modern masters were exactly that,..they had mastered their capabilities as an artist before they so chose to paint and or sculpture in a manner that was not traditionally accepted as, or by, the common viewer,...to call a master such as Munch the originator of nephew art only shows the lack of understanding of true art by the person who chooses to term it as such,...as an example of traditional illustration it is not very commendable but that was not the artists intent,if and only if he had attempted to present it as traditionally illustrative can we belittle his efforts,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Tim, you actually make a good point. I was having a little fun with this piece... which I don't care for - but Van Goh could actually draw - I've seen his sketches. The thing about art, is; you can never really tell if the artists motivation, because art is usually accompanied by art-speak BS... and how can you argue with someone who claims their they were inspired by.... 'whatever?'

I go back to this example: In college I was late starting a project for my 3d Design class which was due the following day. I grabbed a ball of styrofoam, a can of orange spray paint, a handful of pheasant feathers and some short pieces of wire. Painted the ball, stuck the feathers in, and bent the wires around the ball. Took me 30 minutes.

I took the 'sculpture' to class the next day. We had to make a verbal presentation describing our concept and the meaning behind our creation. I told the class the sculpture signified the earth and the feathers - nature... and how, no matter how much cement we poured over the earth, nature finds a way to break through.

A+........ LOL. Art-speak.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will give you $5000 for that Todd.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Sold!! lol

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Todd...now that you have illustrated how proficient you are in the art of the "BS"...should we be a little wary of future critiques you offer here in Letterville as well. [Wink]

[ May 03, 2012, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Munch was actually very accomplished at "regular" figure drawing and painting. However this particular piece is trash and no amount of beauty is in the eye or artspeak will save it. The huge price is due to nothing but the picture's celebrity. I hope they find out later it's actually a copy turned out by one of the Chinese factories and the seller bought it for $29.95.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I'll take a painting called "The Scream" over one that makes me scream any day.

Nephew art indeed.

web page

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Rusty - I'm literally laughing out loud at your post...hehe. I'll never tell. ;-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DENNIS........not only are you totally off base, with that ...YOU CANT READ, can you? 1st line of the post you pointed out:
I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH CREATION OF THIS DRAWING)))
it was something someone else drew.........

[ May 03, 2012, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did I say you came up with that crap?

Maybe you should have thought about it for a minute before taking the $5 for painting that abomination.

Perhaps Munch was given a refrigerator drawing to reproduce too.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who sold the painting explains why The Scream is such a great masterpiece:

""I hope that the publicity given by this sale will increase public interest in Munch's work and awareness of the important message that I feel it conveys.

'The Scream' for me shows the horrifiying moment when man realizes his impact on nature and the irreversible changes that he has initiated, making the planet increasingly uninhabitable.

The image of the 'Scream' could make more of us fathom the magnitude of the consequences of our continuing emissions of greenhouse gases. This will inevitably lead to the triggering of uncontrollable feedback mechanisms that lie latent in the physics of nature.

They will kick in, slowly at first, then accelerate, causing the hearth to becauome overheated. The biosphere will shrink and there will be less oxygen, water and food. More death, less life And very few lifeboats left as we go down.

Munch's most important work 'The Frieze of Life,' never finalized, but existing in many verions, has as its theme Love, Anxiety and Death. 'The Scream' is about Anxiety approaching and anticipating Death.

Munch's hand painted poem on the frame ends with the words 'The great Scream in Nature.' It is as if Munch has had a premonition of what man was going to inflict on nature."

Wow, I'd seen that picture 1000 times but never realized it was all about greenhouse gas.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Yeah... and I am positive <sarcasm> that Munch was concerned about Greenhouse Gas in 1895 - which inspired him to paint 'The Scream.'

It's more likely that the horrified expression of this painting's subject was due to a RELEASE OF HIS OWN GAS - accidentally expelled in public on a crowded bridge. "Oh my goodness! Did I really just rip a fart in public?! The humiliation!!"

I hate this painting even more after hearing this explanation.

I'm glad that this 1%er had enough millions to point out his important message by hanging this painting in his rec-room.

The irony is that the seller will probably use the purchaser's money to build a huge house and buy several inefficient, gas guzzling super-cars, a yacht, and a charcoal grill - increasing his carbon footprint tenfold - thanks to Eco-Buyer's money. LOL

You could draw circles around Munch, Dennis. Time to gallery-it-up and cash in on your REAL skills. :-)

[ May 04, 2012, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ease up Todd!

Dennis is from San Francisco ... home of the terminally weird ... he can't help himself!

[Eek!] [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis was quoting Si.
With art critics they just infuse their own currentlly pollitical and ideological views into everything.
Munch was mentally unstable.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my art instructors had worked at one of those factories that pump out all of the "Starving Artist Sales" paintings that roll into the cheap hotel meeting rooms--- "sofa size oil paintings for $19.95.." he had some great stories- basically the paintings were assembly line, if you could paint water or a barn, that is what you did all day- others who were good at painting skies or trees would do their part, then pass it down to you-- then they would take turns "signing" the names- mostly made up... one of his friends was skilled at the black velvet paintings- probably has his work in more trailer parks around the country than any famous artist has in museums.... I bet I could find a reproduction of this one the next time those guys roll into town!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Happy Birthday, Michael!!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Thank you OP for using a private message to call me a d*ckweed. Way to stand up for your opinion.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
goddinfla...don't take OP's private message to heart...I bet he ate too much of that Zucchini Delousia he cooks up...probably just had heartburn.

[ May 04, 2012, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis .... only a real d*ckweed would post a PM on the open forum!

Guess Old Paint was correct!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Si, my calling the picture trash and saying that no amount of artspeak cd save it shd have tipped you off that I quoted the stuff about greenhouse gas as an example of BS.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Dennis K ... I was posting to the other Dennis, not you!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

Brushasaurus on Chat

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

D.G............ i guess a private message dont hold the same definition to you as it does to most.
YOU..START crap, iam guessing from a humorous aspect, which is how i took the personal slam you posted. and if you in your foggy drugged state of mind YOU live in............when i sent the PRIVATE MESSAGE, because i didnt think it was appropriate to answer YOU.......in an open forum. OK?? and if you look at the DICK WEED......in the private message, it was followed by ))))))))also it was a term of endearment sweetie))))
which is the same as LOL OR LAUGHING MY ARSE OFF!!!! now go do something productive......

[ May 04, 2012, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I would like to compliment Si and Todd for their insightful imput among all this chaos...Dennis for his BS'ing about greenhouse gasses...he fooled me too...and OP for being the OP we all know and love.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

As I see it only a d*ckweed would try to hide behind a pm. If you have something to say to me about something on this forum, say it on this forum. You posted that picture as something you were proud of. If you notice no one commented on it. I think I know why.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like "Let's play nice" just went out the window.

Back to topic before it get's locked. I've had this discussion with my artist wife many times. You say the guy can draw. Same as Alex Calder. Get famous for doing quality art, then put out fast & easy crap. Not my bag.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

I post an observation that the person calling a famous artist out about using nephew art is guilty of doing the same.
You basically called it nephew art in your post, other than "when i got it there was a motor boat prop on the back of the toilet. i removed it defined the wheels more. added color details, plaid shirt, straw hat".
That's hardly "I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH CREATION OF THIS DRAWING)))
it was something someone else drew.........

For pointing this out I was told I can't read, I'm a d*ckweed,and I am in a foggy drugged state of mind.

I realize that OP is kind of special around here, kind of like the crazy uncle that shows up at the family reunion with his '72 Vega wagon with four different colored body panels and a duct tape back window. Everybody is amused by his antics but try not to make eye contact or get into a conversation with him.

I enjoy his ball peen hammer attacks of his keyboard as he types something in an unknown language somewhat resembling English.)))))))

There I added some ))))) so it's just like lol a bunch of times.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

you know dennis, you been hangin out with those circus folks who live near you to long))))))
your observation is this important???? to you maybe, but turning the post on me .......IAM NOT THAT IMPORTANT.............

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here !!

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

iam with you................hahahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

I don't actually live in Gibtown any more, I got tired of the freaks asking how you were doing.

I still live pretty close and still see Lobster Boy's family at the Gibsonton Walmart(not kidding).

Every now and then I enjoy poking the hornet's nest called OP. All in good fun. Hope you take it as such.

By the way, how's that Vega running?

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

dennis, if i didnt think you was doin this in fun.......i woulda called you more then a dickweed!!!!! AND LIKE I SAID.........its a term of endearment)))))))))))))) i still love you sweetie, hugs and kiss kiss))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

I'll send you a new Steelers bumper sticker for that Vega, the one on it is looking pretty shabby.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!