Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Adobe creative cloud, good or bad value?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adobe creative cloud, good or bad value?
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Initially, when I heard about the Adobe subscription service, I wasn't impressed. Think I might sign up for it. 47 euros a month here plus tax. Curious what you people think about it

[ April 23, 2012, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Gaffney ]

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they not have the 5 GB of free space over there? I've only used 1.2 GB of the 5.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think we got our wires crossed Don. I was referring to their subscription service which gives access to all their applications for mac and pc, as well as their cloud service

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand how Don read that the way they use this cloud term everywhere. There is cloud storage and then cloud subscription based software.

Do you use all of the Adobe programs Kevin? How much to you utilize if they are being used?

Photoshop is all I use and nowhere nears it's potential. I imagine others use Illustrator a lot but after that, what?

I usually will upgrade software if I use it often and then only after about 3 versions of being behind.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

I use Illustrator all the time David and Photoshop a fair bit. If they keep the rates at their launch prices, I would be happy enough. I suppose this is the way others like Corel etc will probably go as well. Will wait to see how others fare out before I make any jump. Must be my age, but I'm becoming very cautious

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one for having my own copy too Kevin. I hate leasing too though. I dropped from the whole creative suite to basic with CS5.
Illustrator and Photoshop are where I live and frankly, I prefer Illy CS 3 than 5. Can't get used to multiple artboards among other things.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bill.

I hate subscription services. I feel like I'm getting nickel'n'dimed to death.

I understand why a lot of software companies are heading that way as it helps provide them with a consistent flow revenue, but I just don't like it at all.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cloud subscriptions are also going to be the way that the software companies are going to try to eliminate the bootlegging of their software, IMO.

Personally, I don't like the idea.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything Cloud is a waste of time and resources.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use many programs in the Adobe Master Collection- Illustrator, Photoshop. Flash, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Soundboard, After Effects and of course Acrobat... I am using version 3.3 and I sure can't afford to upgrade the Master Collection every time they put out a new version... plus many of the newer tutorials don't work on my older versions....

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plus- I have the Master Collection loaded and authorized on the legal number of machines 2 desktops and 1 laptop- so going to this service would eliminate 1 of the desktops...

Maybe I'll just look for the Master Collection 5 after 6 comes out- it should drop in price

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at what it would cost to upgrade my CS4 Design Premium to CS6. A mere $949. Looks like I won't be upgrading...ever.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some good deals on this website - I checked and they are a legal reseller so its legit.

http://www.softwaremedia.com/adobe/creative-suite/creative-suite-design/cs55-design-premium-upgrade-from-cs-23.html

Just went from cs3 to cs5.5 and cs6 is included when its available.

I can see using the cloud if you used alot of the products but the design premium is all I need and for $740.00 vs $50 monthly it seemed like a no brainer.

--------------------
Brian Stoddard
Northwest Wholesale Signs

brian@nwsigns.com
www.nwsigns.com

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do plenty with what I have so Adobe gives me very little incentive to move up. There are some cool new features that I would like to have, but I'm not sure I want to pay $700-$1000 to get them.

I can get the Photoshop update for $200 from Adobe, and that is what I have been most interested. Luckily I have a stand-alone license if I choose to do that.

In the past, Illustrator upgrades have always left me unimpressed. For every feature they introduce, Adobe breaks a tool I like and never fixes it - type on a path and font selection are good examples.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

I have looked at all the individual packages and each one is missing a program that I use frequently, so the master collection has been the best option for me--- of course it is very hard to justify a big wad of money all at once... if I can figure out how to run my same 3 machines for a somewhat reasonable price, it might be an option.

I have started using Premeire Pro as a video editing tool- Final Cut made a bunch of video pros mad and they jumped over to Premiere- I was on a movie set about a month ago, and they were editing a full length motion picture in it.

I use Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash every day- InDesign, SoundBooth and Premiere a few times a month...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!