Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Nose Art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nose Art
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought you all might like this foto of a WWII airman, Sarkis Bartigan, who painted nose art on a lot of the bombers. He was in New Guinea, at Port Moresby with the 43rd Bomber Group, about the same time as my Uncle Bob Miller, who was a co-pilot. Here's a pic of Bartigan and a couple of his jobs.
 -

-
 -

[ January 29, 2012, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Kiernan ]

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Havent figured out how to bring the titles and descriptions along with the photos linked from Photobucket. If you're interested, here's a link to the album there.
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/dkiernan1/Nose%20Art%20WWII/

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow great job thank you

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dennis - that's one of the best posts I've ever seen on Letterville. My Dad was a navigator on a B-24 and flew 52 missions over Sicily and North Africa. I wish I had a picture of his nose art and the guy who painted it.....

[ January 29, 2012, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ran across this while looking for more info.
http://www.pbase.com/doodlebugger/noseart&page=all

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie Lohmeyer
Visitor
Member # 2076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernie Lohmeyer   Email Bernie Lohmeyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another link
http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/bartigian-sarkis.htm

--------------------
Bernie Lohmeyer
Bernman Graphics
Osage City, KS

Posts: 268 | From: Osage City,Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Sonny, if you know your Dad's organization, search it on Google. A lot of them have been putting tons of stuff online the last few years.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny,

My dad was a navigator on a B-24 in the Pacific theatre. About twenty years ago, he looked up his crew and the entire bunch was still alive and they had a reunion here. Since then, most have died off. His flight engineer, "Kit" Carson, lived about fifty miles north of here. After he died, his widow paid to have a sign installed at the senior center she and Kit had funded. I superimposed a B-24 on the state of Texas for the sign. The flight engineer's position is where the town of Valley View is. The picture shows Kit's widow, Regina, and my father in front of the sign. The sign is sandblasted granite and marble on an aluminum structure.

-

Time flies! It's hard to believe I took that photo eleven years ago.

[ January 30, 2012, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Great color in that doodlebugger collection.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

OK, that usaaf-noseart.co.uk/bartigian-sarkis link clears up some misinfo I had. Seems Sarkis was in the Pacific a little later than my uncle. and the outfit had moved on from Port Moresby.
My job during the year I was stationed in Korea was doing art work for the base but the F-86s we had didnt have nose art (that I know of). I did paint a couple pilots' jackets and helmets but I have no pix of them. Stupid of me because I had a camera with me.
The guys that did fabulous decorations on leather flying jackets were the Japanese and Korean artists, with their tradition of highly stylized and ferocious tigers and dragons, and fully colored all-over tattoo art. We used regular oil paint with some stuff mixed in to make it permanently flexible. I forget the name of the additive. Flexo or something.

I never had a sense of the temporariness of everything until I got to be old and suddenly looked around and realized that most of the world I'd known had disappeared. WTF? How cd it just vanish like that?

[ January 30, 2012, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Kiernan ]

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!