Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pouncing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pouncing
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris depuy   Email chris depuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question....

What do those of you who do pounce patterns use for the chalk distrobution?

Thanks
Monk

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk
1109 Cedar St. Dundee, Or

Posts: 31 | From: Dayton, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hansee pounce pads...

http://www.hancymfg.com/products.html

or a couple of white socks, inside each other tied at the top

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hansee's are nice, but usually end up with a homemade bag from some t shirt rags.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Janzen
Visitor
Member # 7227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Janzen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Janzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,
You can use a rag(t-shirt type) or a sock, just pour the chalk in, tie or tape it closed and pounce away. You can also by a commercial brush that's designed for pounce patterns, something like a chalk brush.

--------------------
Streamline Studios Inc.
Calgary. AB
www.streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca

Posts: 220 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally i hate the dust from pouncing,...that's what drove me to learn to freehand,...both pictorials and copy,...but when i have no choice an old t-shirt double thick then taped to hold the chosen nasty powder of choice inside,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We usually use folded-up T-Shirts too.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Hansee pads.

Tshirt and sock type get powder all over you.
I use 3 colors .... blue and white chalk alsocharcoal.

DO NOT use red chalk for pouncing or snap lines! IT DOES NOT COME OFF!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done the alternative..tape the pattern down really good and spray each letter with the airbrush providing the pounce holes are uniform and you need to use the pattern one time.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who dislike the powder getting on your hands when using a pounce bag, try this simple solution:

Put your hand into a good-sized plastic bag and then grip the pounce bag and use as you usually do holding onto the bag through the plastic. When finished, simply pull the bag down over your hand & pounce bag,turning the plastic bag inside-out. Seal the plastic bag with the pounce bag inside, and you've avoided the dust on your hands and provided a secure bag for storing the pounce bag in your kit. No messsy powder on your hands or in your kit.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris depuy   Email chris depuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!!

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk

Posts: 31 | From: Dayton, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nambie-pambies. The chalk washes off with soap and water. I dislike the feeling of the chalk on my hands, but I carry a bottle of window cleaner in the truck and wash it off when I am done. No big deal. Just like having to clean fish when you catch a big one to keep. I use one of those white cotton socks that amazingly appears in the drier with no mate. I also buy the Tshirts on bulk and cut them up for truck rags. I keep a stack behind the seat. paper towels are such a waste when I have so many Tshirts with paint on them.

I still find pouncing by hand the best way to get accurate small stuff, which is the only reason I pounce patterns most anything, other than repeaters, like truck sides. Eyeballing it took time to master in the beginning, but I do most of my window work with scaling and eyeballs. Helps to have a grid sometimes for intricate ones. A good drawing helps to have in hand as I roll the white down.

Now, if they just added spell-check to the quills and flats!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We put the powder on a wad of cotton and roll it into an old sock. I have not found a job yet worthy of using a new sock. Finding powdered charcoal has become difficult though. Hansee sells this charcoal mixture that doesn't read nearly as well as straight charcoal. I've tested the difference to see if it was my aging eyes.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charcoal can still be found in Los Angeles, McLogan Sign Supply has em...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Ok on to wheels....What size is the best all arounder??

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will assume you are speaking of pounce wheels and their varied sizes and uses with the previous question here,...I have several different size pounce wheels from the three standard sizes included in my grifhold set and another much larger older wall wheel made with even coarser teeth than any in the grifhold set for wall work. the finer toothed tools are best suited for smaller detailed work and the larger coarser toothed tools for larger copy and wall work

edited to add the small coarse wheel that grifhold makes is probably the most used for all around work,.... the no 10 wheel on this page

[ December 28, 2011, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never could get a wheel to work very well- so I have used a scrap piece of styrofoam, paper pattern, and an old airbrush needle to poke holes in the paper- works great on smaller patterns.

I still love using the electro pounce machine- I love the smell of burning paper... just be sure not to use a metal yardstick-ZZZPOOOWWW!

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch for Ken's method with the zip lock bag. I read that somewhere years ago and have used it ever since, works great.

On pounce wheels, unless you are doing tiny stuff the bigger wheel works better. I prefer the elctro pounce over the wheel, used it a few weeks ago and zapped myself, something I hadn't done in probably twenty years......I forgot just what a lousy feeling that is [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bart McCune
Visitor
Member # 21369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bart McCune   Author's Homepage   Email Bart McCune   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you don't mind if I add a question.

Would I be able to use the chalk that I can pick up at any home depot or lowes store? I see that lowes carries many different colors of Stanley chalk in 8oz. bottles.

--------------------
Bart McCune
Madness Pinstriping
Westminster Colorado

Posts: 58 | From: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I much prefer a wheel to electro-pounce using a corkboard base I've had for at least 25 years. I guarantee it will give you a better pattern faster than you could do it with an electro and less effort......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spraypaint

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart .... white or blue will work just fine!

AVOID the RED chalk ... it does not come off!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to have our lettering benches skinned with a product they used to sell called Upsom Board...don't know if it's still available or not. We could run the pounce wheel right on the bench after we drew our pattern. Still needed to flip it to sand the back side though. For larger holes for wall work, I like to double the layers of the paper and use the electric wonder.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the bigger wheels as they can follow a ruler better. I have also found wrapping about a quarter inch of masking tape around the handle makes for less strain on the fingers. I even expanded the length of the handle with a hollowed out wooden dowell helps as the handle was always too short to get better arm action on bigger patterns.

I use the Stanley type of chalk at the hardware stores. Blue, white or black seems to work the best. Red is hard to get rid of as Si explained. never saw any advantage to using charcoal.

Sanding the back...I use 180 grit paper and sand only in one diection as I frequently make patterns with just tiled typing paper printed off of my computer and tape them together with clear tape. I also have found using a smooth cut-up old tshirt, ironed flat, works about the best for something to roll against, beneath the paper. When I have to do real little letters, sometimes I use a pin on a stick to get very tight patterns.

I tried the electro pounce years ago, but hated getting shocked and it always seemed to take about as long getting set up. I only have to do a dozen or so patterns a year, so no big deal. It is an invaluable tool though.

Years ago in the late 70s, we had an opaque projector and cut out of the Letterset catalogue all the various fonts we needed on cardboard. We had to move each letter where we wanted them to make a pencil sketch, before pouncing. We did almost everything that way, before computers. We had to close off the light in the shop and on hot days it was brutal being in there for an hour making a sketch before we pounced. I remember using the first vinyl letters in maybe 1980 that we got from some company in Arizona and we were mightily impressed with making some 100 small signs for label boards in a lumber company. Even then, I never imagined we would eventually all be able to cut out our own vinyl so easily, but no, I never bought a Gerber 4B. I honestly figured that they would run off most of the hand lettering people and it really did. It is amazing how much more today I can charge for hand lettering. It really is a lost art.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris depuy
Visitor
Member # 11823

Thanks to you all!! I never thought I would get this kind of response.....

--------------------
chris depuy
Pinstriping by Monk

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used carpenters chalk many times but I prefer powdered charcoal. It's finer ground so you don't have to sand the back of the paper. And you can get a lighter deposit of powder on the sign by just rubbing, as opposed to tapping the bag.
Of course, carpenters chalk is more readily available.

I've also put artist's charcoal in snap-lines.
It was easier to clean off wall jobs and was less apt to leave blue ghost lines. Not that I made a habit of cleaning layout lines off wall jobs, but it was occasionally a customer request for wall signs that were close to the ground.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bart McCune
Visitor
Member # 21369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bart McCune   Author's Homepage   Email Bart McCune   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow there is a lot of useful information in this thread.

Exactly what any guy starting out would need.

--------------------
Bart McCune
Madness Pinstriping
Westminster Colorado

Posts: 58 | From: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patterns were always made on Sign Painters Bond paper and pounced with with pounce wheels from fine to large, pounced with charcoal, Talc, baby powder or blue chalk in a cotton ball filled with medium and wrapped with a cotton rag tied in a ball. Hansee pad's came on the market and work great as well, but old school rules!.

Drawing/Lettering board is 48" x 16' and covered with a material called homasote works well for pouncing as well as pining paper, cards or any other material down .

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since our kids were little we have used baby socks! They are usually tightly woven and small enough that you have just about the right amount of black chalk, talcum powder or blue carpenter's chalk. Fill them 1/2 full and tie the top shut with a knot. Seal them up in a sandwich bag in your kit and you don't have "stuff" all over. And as Si said, don't use red.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the "wad of cotton" idea in the sock or bag, I do my pouncing on a printer "blanket". The rubber pad that gets attached to an offset press. When they get worn out for printing they still work great for pouncing and are self healing and flexible. I put a grommet in the corners and hang it up on the wall when not in use. Also, I use a latex glove to "store" the pouncebag. Just turn it inside out so the hand covers the bag and the fingers when done pouncing. If you can find animal bone charcoal, it works better outside and doesn't wash off easy. When I need a big pouncebag, I use muslin - much tougher than sock.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another tip That I forgot to include in my initial response. If you're making a pattern that you'll be working with in a windy situation, or if you want a strong durable pattern that will last for a good long while, substitute Tyvek for the paper. This stuff performs as well as paper, but it is highly resistant to tearing.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corn starch was used when doing Gold. was always affraid the talc would cause problems with the paint. Drywall is a good cheap backer for pouncing with a wheel.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!