Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What's it take to get respect???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's it take to get respect???
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night we attended a Christmas dinner theater with several couples. It was a nice time and everyone was in a festive mood.

Then when we were going thru the buffet line, the husband of one of my best friends ex wife asked me how much it would cost to letter his boat.

It was one of those buffet lines where you go down either side of the table. I looked up and all eyes were on me -- waiting for my answer.

Is it just me in my old age? Or is it rude as hell to be asking about prices in a buffet line or in the grocery store check out line or in line at a funeral visitation. Yeah it's happened to me at all those places. I'm sure I can think of a thousand more inappropriate places to ask somebody about a price. Am I supposed to carry a little book with me at all times in case somebody fires me that question?

I was wondering if this person would ask "how much" if I was a lawyer, doctor or even a car salesman. Would he ask "how much" for certain occupations and not others. I think it's rude and shows lack of respect. How do others feel?

I told this guy I didn't price jobs and he'd have to check with Jane which is mostly true, but after thinking about it at length, I should have told him the price would be a percentage of the current price of the boat and that I would have to look that up when I returned to work because the percentage would be determined on a sliding scale (or some such b***s**t like that). I should also have told him that he would need to have his boat appraised and bring me a notarized copy of the appraisal to determine how that price works in to the percentage.

Sorry to rant ... it must be age, fumes, orneriness or maybe too many potato chips.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respect you Bill.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2273 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just say it depends, $50 to a Grand, it all depends on how much you love your boat!

But Yes I agree with you.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,
Just happened to me two days ago in a bar in Watkins Glen.
Guy comes up to me and says, "Hey you're the sign guy! How much to letter my truck?"
I don't know where it came from (guess I'm getting old and don't give much of a sh*t anymore)but I blurted out, "The Bar Price is $5,000.00! For the Shop Price, you have to call the shop!"
Without saying another word, he turned and walked away.
Phone rang the next morning, "Hey you're the sign guy! How much to letter my truck?"

[Smile]

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
return his question with a question....
HOW MUCH DID YOUR BOAT/TRUCK COST? after he tells you what a great deal he got on it.......tell him........the lettering job wont be near as much)))))))

[ December 23, 2011, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will usually hit the ball back into his court by saying, "How do want it done and how much are you looking to pay?"

Now he might just want to speak to you privatly so the others won't know what kind of spender he is.

[Smile]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, I was approached at the funeral parlor where my uncle who worked for me passed away. The guy wanted to know if he could have his job. I could not even answer him, it seemed so out of place.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stock answer in those situations is to pull out a business card and hand it to them. I say "Here, give me a call when we can both really focus on what you need and I'll get you some numbers. If it's something I can ballpark- I do." I try not to look at it as rude but as potential business. I've sold more than one project based on a two minute exchange at the grocery store, hardware store and local pizza place. If I know them well- I might even have a little fun with them.

A guy I know pretty well who builds homes saw me at the gas station just yesterday. He said "Hey, how much would it be to do one of those mural things?" I smiled and said, "That's a tough question. Let me ask you this, How much does it cost to build a house?"

He stopped for a moment and said "Well, a house depends...how big is it? how complicated is it? What's the budget? You know..not easy to throw a number out."

I handed him my card and said "OK...a mural..How big is it, how complicated and what's the budget...good place to start!"

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think it is rude. Bill you are right. There are very few people that understand that business should be done during business hours.

There are exceptions of friends and family, but in your case..this guy was out of line. It happens to me all the time. i live in a small town and if I go to a local bar for a drink, or out for the evening, I always get cornered.

It's frustrating because 9 times out of 10 they don't order it anyhow! [Smile]

However... I hope you all have a Merry Christmas

T

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're a saint, Doug.

I know it's wrong, but it makes you want to be rude back. But to reduce what you do down to a single pat answer leads me to believe the person asking for the price thinks your business is a simple one. That's what gets to me.

I think the years of condescending retorts from rude people regarding the business I love has made me bitter.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or maybe you're just an ornery old coot - next time, skip the chips.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that ALL the time, so I don't even hesitate or blink when I respond: "Ten Thousand Dollars" then I just get real quiet and stare at them, waiting for them to soak it in... it is such an awkward question with so many variables, that my response usually brings that to their attention. We usually laugh it off, then talk about a few particulars- I always let them know that I have learned the hard way NEVER to give prices over the phone, or without all the particulars.

I always tell them that one day, somebody's gonna pay that without haggling.

Another irritating one "how much?, just a ballpark figure..." so I always say "well, I'm not sure how much ballparks are going for, but I think Yankee stadium kinda expensive..."

or "when you say ballpark, are talking about a stadium or the hot dog, because they cost different..."

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old age does that...or so I'm told. I wouldn't know myself.

If they are friends, I usually say, "As much as I can get - how much you got?" or..."you're in luck. Today we are having a special - signs are only $50,000. How many do you need?"

Otherwise, I normally ask them to call me at the studio.

It's not uncommon to overhear someone talking to a lawyer or doctor at church, trying to get some free advice or have the doctor write them a prescription. I'm sure it's annoying to them, also.

By the way, Bill - I really enjoyed the weekend with your sons at Atlantic City. You have every reason to be proud.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit like Joe, I'd say "How much would you like to spend...?"

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens all the time.
I hand them a b card and say. I am off work now and do not talk shop. Please call me tomorrow.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually say $50,000 right off the bat. They say just to do the doors. I then say hell I don't know off the top of my head, but we can talk about it later, give me a call.
But I understand what you mean hitting you up for the question in front of everyone. So next time say 50 grand and you get shadows with an outline....

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain Bill.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, this smells of Broccoli.......was there some on the buffet?

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,
I like the "bar price", "shop price" answer. I'll be using that in the future.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the local "blood suckers" was at a public meeting of a non-profit group and was asked a question about the legality of something...he expounded upon it for some time. A few days later the group got a bill for his time and advice.

A few weeks afterward, my wife and I were having breakfast at a local restaurant when the same SOB walks over to our table wanting to know all about what his sign should be made of, how much it would cost, how long it would last, what colors I recommended and other pertinent info. He pretty much took up all of our breakfast time.
He would have thought is was awful if I had sent him a bill and would probably have refused to pay.
Then he became a politician....go figure!

[ December 25, 2011, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Roy Frisby ]

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually (like the others) give them a ridiculous price such as $24,256.13!

Then I quickly add, but if you want to stop by and give me specific details, it will be a whole lot less ... then I smile.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, she could have been looking for something to talk about as she felt awkward in line like that, not saying anything. I don't take offense to it, I give a card, tell them to call me so we can discuss what they want when we can both focus on it. I do love the bar price/shop price & see me using that a lot in the future.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you are really serious, give me one of your business cards and I will call you tomorrow to arrange a sit down. What, you do not carry business cards? (that makes him feel like an unoprofessional and you the pro) OK Call me tomorrow and we can meet for lunch and talk about the project that I would like to help you with. By the way, doesn't the food here look tasty?"

Take control, change the subject, make him think you are serious and move it toward a friendlier business environment. Smile. Chalk it up to the fact that he actually thinks you are someone special and is wanting to do business with you, but is not really thinking.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A buffet line isn't the place to pull out a card, but I'd try to smile and ask for a call during business hours and change the subject or ask what they use the boat for or how long have they had it. Get them talking about their recreation choices.

Some folks don't have a sense of appropriateness and need some guidance.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will agree that the idea of someone coming up at a funeral is where I'd even have to draw the line. There are times where you have to let people know where you stand as a person...not just a business person.

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lived next to, or over my shop for most of my career, I enjoy the seperation I have now. I think it really comes down to boundaries. I wouldn't appreciate that either, but I've done the business card and politely told them to call or stop by during business hours at the shop.

Doctors don't diagnose in the buffett line either.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this no matter where I go (including the funeral home)in a way, it's nice, because it makes you realize that you are known for your work.
I'll usually reply with something smart-assy like "a million dollars".
If I have a business card I will hand them one but it's not always an option.
I think that people know what I do, see me, remember they may need something that I can do, and just blurt it out.
It's not meant in a disrespectful way.
People are just dumb.
My brother, the lawyer, gets asked legal questions no matter where he goes. My sister, the notary, gets asked about transferring titles. And my other sister, a dental office manager, has the extreme pleasure of people actually showing her a rotten tooth every now and again.
[Smile]
Love....Jill
PS
I have never, ever, gotten a job via this sort of approach, and I have been asked about the same potential job by the same person at different events over the years.

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99% of the time people ask you dumbass questions in dumbass places, they are just mouth running!IF this happens to me I tell them to call my office monday and they say Ill do that....notice they didnt ask for my number! lol...

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to disagree with you and the others Bill.

I feel that, as a small business owner, I'm pretty much on the job 24/7. If I'm out and about, regardless where I am or what I'm doing, I'll happily answer a business question to the best of my ability. The one reason being is that trip, dinner, etc, just became a business expense [Smile]

I also answer the business phone in the evening and on weekends too because you never know what might happen. One recent Saturday morning, I answered the phone and managed to land a ~$1,000 job for $20 in materials and 6 hours of travel and installation time.

Happy New Year,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...just be glad you're not a proctologist, Bill.
[Smile]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!