Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mark Baty, one of the best!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Baty, one of the best!
Nancy B. Bennett
Resident

Member # 1451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy B. Bennett   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy B. Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with Jeanne Baty this morning. Mark has been in intensive care for about a week and last night they removed all of the life support machines and moved him to another room. He seems to be more at ease without the machines and he is now on "comfort and care" until the end. There is nothing more that can be done. Mark is in Mercy hospital in Des Moines, room 857, and they would enjoy knowing that you are keeping them in your thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
Nancy B. Bennett
Walldog Public Art
317 N. 13th St.
Centerville, Iowa 52544

Posts: 95 | From: Centerville, IA, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure sorry to hear that Nancy. I remember Mark from my very first Letterhead meet 25 years ago. He asked me for a ride to the copy shop and it was like like getting a personal Mark Baty seminar. A great man and a master of color......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tears...

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the sweetest people ever! Prayers for Mark & Jeanne from all of us here!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers and good thoughts

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark was always improving - both himself and our craft. In the early days of the Letterheads he and Jeanne would host a wine and cheese gathering in their hotel room one night of the meet. In order to get in you had to tell a joke...and then it turned in to telling more than one. On more than one occasion the hotel management would come by and remind us to keep down the noise.

Over the years, the fun part was that some jokes were told every time by the same person. It became sort of a ritual.

Great memories. Prayers for Jeanne and family.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A direct phone number to the hospital room is:

515/247-3857

I've been trying it and it's always busy, so Jeanne is probably receiving and sending a lot of calls.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart is breaking

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

I just talked to Jeanne. Her cell phone number is 515-419-6049, if you would like to offer your thoughts.

Mark cannot communicate but he does know what Jeanne is saying to him.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, Any idea if Jeanna can get texts on that line? I just sent her one, hope she gets it.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm . . . and at Christmas. Dammit.

Thanks for all the info . . . Funny, I said that to Mark many times, also.

Nancy, Mark and Jeannie have been dear friends of yours for a long, long time. My condolences to you as their friend as well as family.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy B. Bennett
Resident

Member # 1451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy B. Bennett   Author's Homepage   Email Nancy B. Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Jay. They sure have a lot of friends, don't they?
Hey Ray, that reminder about the wine and cheese get togethers sure made me smile. Remember the joke that Mark told and Jeanne acted out about "Get the bag, get the bag, get the bag"? That's the only part I remember but it was hilarious! I think we also celebrated Mark's birthday.

--------------------
Nancy B. Bennett
Walldog Public Art
317 N. 13th St.
Centerville, Iowa 52544

Posts: 95 | From: Centerville, IA, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers 4 them.Great couple,remember them from 82 or 83 Kansas City meet.

Kent Moss
Paint On...
Sweet Charleston

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Mark. He was always a great Letterhead friend.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even know them and I feel So Sorry... I wish the very Best for them... Hard Stuff for sure.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky to be invited to one of those joke party things a long time ago. I hope Mark can rest peacefully and be free of any pain. It is people like Mark that made Letterheads a better place.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Nancy, I'm not sure if she gets text messages on her phone or not.

When I talked with her, Mark was at peace with the situation and that his faith was strong. He understands that this is not the end.

And, yes, that is the joke that everyone remembers. They acted it out as a couple perfectly.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark and Jeanne are two of the nicest,most talented and best of all, they alway have a smile on their face. May God and Santa bring them peace and good faith.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember briefly meeting him in I think it was Jacksonville, IL after having pancakes in the church. So sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for him...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's tough to see special folks facing these hardships -- especially at this time of year. Mark was such a inspiration within our ranks. His class on color was one of the most memorable letterhead classes I can remember. It was so well done.

The BrushFire in the Heartland meet at his place was very intimate and special. What a great time.

Jeanne is such a sweet woman. I hope and pray these fine people know that we love them and wish them the best in such difficult times.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts and prayers on the way.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outside of Mike Stevens, Mark without a doubt in his time had a lock on showcards..
Yer on my prayer wheel...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, such an inspiration...someone who helped me learn about signmaking, through the magazines and letterville. He is truly a pioneer.

Such a shame to see you all go through this, may you have peace at this time. My thoughts are certainly with you at this time. Thank you for everything you have lived for us. Deb

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark had a huge influence on the way many of us design signs. Mike Stevens was a frequent visitor at their home. Lots of wonderful stories that I never got tired of hearing.

I recall Mark bringing his Colour Workshop to Toronto years ago. It was a very intensive course. As usual, I was messing around, but I did come away with some design concepts that stuck with me, and answered some of my colour ideas.

Dark colours receed and light colors come forward. Cool colours fall back and warm colours pop forward. Pretty simple stuff, but it explained why so many of the better designers used dark backgrounds.

When Keith passed, I made death as we know it, illegal here in Lettervile. Mark and Jeannie are frozen in time as far as I am concerned. Mark will always be the teacher and Jeanne is just a riot. I hope Mark and Jeannie realize that they are Letterhead Heros.

-

[ December 27, 2011, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Barb. Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers are with Mark on this joyous day.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colleen Henderson
Resident

Member # 906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colleen Henderson   Email Colleen Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts and prayers are with you. Will always have fond memories of Brushfire, Marks colour seminar, the wine & cheese get togethers & lastly the computer class with Dave & Susie at Schillings in Minnesota. An amazing couple!

--------------------
Colleen Henderson
Signs Now, Thunder Bay, ON
signsnow@tbaytel.net

Posts: 140 | From: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Great photo Steve and Barb. What a great smile...and it wasn't fake.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with Jeanne this morning. Mark has spent a relatively quiet week in a hospice facility. He had a nice Christmas with the family singing carols to him. But Jeanne said today (Friday Dec. 30) may be his last. He is unresponsive at this time and only on O2 for comfort care. God's blessings on Mark as he approaches his maker.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God for hospice care. Rules are different with hospice for administering any and all medicines needed to make a person comfortable.

It sure was a comfort to have both my folks under hospice care.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jeanne and family.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, When & where was that photo taken?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debbie Karr
Visitor
Member # 11598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debbie Karr   Author's Homepage   Email Debbie Karr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An outstanding teacher of the craft! We had the honor of meeting Mark & Jeannie in Pontiac 2009. Nancy invited me to paint on her mural. Mark & Jeannie arrived with an array of stories that peaked everyone's interest. Mark was to do the lettering along the bottom of the mural, but wasn't able to stoop to the low position for a very long time. After pouncing the lettering, Mark mixed the paint colors to apply a gradient to each letter. He attempted to paint but with his leg braces he wasn't able to maneuver without pain. I offered to paint the letters with his guidance. He sat comfortably in his chair & shared his technique while my brushstrokes followed his instructions. He seemed pleased with the results & I felt like I had learned an easier method to apply a gradient. We very much enjoyed meeting both Mark & Jeannie. Both Andy & I offer our condolences to their family, he will be missed by many. Heaven just became filled with spectacular color...

--------------------
Debbie Karr
Land’s End ARI
Artist/Illustrator

Posts: 45 | From: Florida/Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Jeanne called this evening to let me know Mark had passed away yesterday (Friday) at noon. His visitation will be on Tues. evening and funeral at 11 am Wed. Both at Lutheran Church of Hope 925 Jordan Creek Parkway, West Des Moines.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will be missed. I was honored to meet them in Denver and again in Canonsburg.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Mark is at peace. Thoughts and prayers for Jeanne and the rest of the family. He will be remembered for the positive influence he had on many, especially me. In the early days of the Letterheads he was there to share whatever he knew.

The world was a better place because Mark Baty was a part of it for a short time.

It's ironic that at the time Mark was making his journey home, I was conducting the funeral service for a cousin who had died on Tuesday.

Just a gentle reminder to remember those still here with "flowers for the living".

[ January 02, 2012, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!