Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What is your niche? And how did you discover/fall into it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your niche? And how did you discover/fall into it?
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read on this bullboard that it is good to have a niche. Mine isn't creative, but it is a decent money maker. I have a heat press, and use my vinyl cutter to cut out lettering to heat press names on the back of the t-shirts of our towns' youth sports programs. One of these kids has a father that goes around to the schools and towns and gets the orders for the sports jerseys.
He has them screen printed and them brings them to me for putting names and numbers on them.
If he only needs a few of the shirts, he will ask me if I can use the cad-cut material from Stahls to do the design on the front. Frequently I can. He provides vectorized art work, ready to cut. Me being home based, he can drop off/pick up shirts during non-work hours. (this is his partime job besides his fulltime job) He has given me thousands of dollars worth of work each year for the last 3 years.

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had different ones at different times- I started airbrushing t-shirts in the mid 80's and have done that off and on for the past 25 years- it's kind of like golf for me, I don't do it enough to be as good as I expect to be or even used to be (or when I was doing it 10 hours a day, 7 days a week)

This past summer I started drawing pet caricatures, which brought back my cartooning days, but I put it back down after a couple of events... maybe I can do more of that kind of art

I've been trying to get my new office set up more like a studio, brought out the old light table, easel, markers and pens, etc.- maybe I can get back to doing more hands on art, drawing, and cartooning- I would love for that to be my "niche"

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thing is straight line pinstriping, I'm good at what I do and I get to pick my work, even after retiring I feel the need to put my brushes to work.
While I'm working I get to dream, talk to myself and figure things yet to come.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For awhile it was fast, decent looking truck lettering at half the price of the competition.

I still do very well in that "niche," but a lot of my customers have gone under thanx to the economy.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly just showroom windows for new car dealers, although I still paint many windshields. Both are a great diversion from each other. In 22 years, I have developed a following and a nice group of some 250 stores in Kansas and Missouri. The niche is primarily that no one else seems to want to actually go out there and sell. Rejection really is a great advantage being able to overwhelm with professional negotiators like the Car Dogs.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My most recent niche landed on my lap due of poverty. I wanted to decorate my home without a dime left to my name so I started collecting junk off the curb, and created furnishings for my home.

Aside from my time, thus far I've decorated my entire home for nearly free. NEVER underestimate the power of junk. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael! Half the price?!? Why???

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering why myself Michael? For some of us it's a full time job with a lot of overhead.

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna & Theresa,

Easy, now ... you don't know the whole story ...

I was doing it at half the competition's price because they were literally raking their customers over the coals for nothing more than a little block lettering and white or black vinyl.

At half price I was still making VERY good money, and for a long time money was good. It was the most profitable thing I had going. And for two colors I doubled the price and was still well under my competitions one-color job.

Now everyone has opened a sign shop, everyone has dropped their prices to my level .... and even lower .... siggghhhhh.....

see ... youse guys got excited over nothing!!! I don't build signs as a hobby, ya know. I do it to earn a living.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do engraving.

We have the ability to make ADA signs at a price that sign shops can turn aroud and re-sell at a decent profit.

We are licensed to do the Braille dot method, so the signs are modern, fully compliant and it's a win-win for all involved.

We also do marking on stainless steel.

We handle most types of engraving, we do laser as well as rotary, flat, round or odd shaped!

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I "lucked" into the sign business after encouragement by a friend. It was a business I never thought about nor aspired to. I waded in with no idea of what I was doing. It was just going to be a "sideline" offering to my customers in my body shop business.

All I brought in was many years of failure and success experience in being a business owner.

At first, I again, lucked out to be introduced to some businesses who needed a reliable, prompt supplier for their needs.

I guess I was that person.

Like Diane aluded to originally...astounding creative skills played no part in my doing well. Just hard work, long hours and a lot of driving to remote worksites.

And the long hard job of learning how to vectorize crappy tiny business card logo scans into something usable!!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

Along the way I came to understand a bit about decent design too.

But the bottom line for me was always....treat this as a business and always strive to make a decent profit, not a decent "wage", but a decent "PROFIT" too.

(edited to add, regrding the original question)

My niche was fleet truck lettering and boat lettering for boat repair/refubishing facilities. All due to references and friends.

[ October 12, 2011, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
62 years old and still searching for my niche...I'm a pretty good bird whistler if that counts.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My niche is I work on weekends and I don't penalize you for being late or not showing up. Plus I just about always pick up the phone and give the caller a pleasent and cheerful "Hello".

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our niche has been truck lettering. I always thought that was the most profitable part of the sign business . A lot less aggravation too. No digging holes and no permits to get. I got my start by doing custom paint on race cars in the early 70s and alot of those guys wanted lettering done too. I found out I loved hand lettering better than airbrushing and it eventually led to truck lettering. I was inspired by many of the race car lettering guys from that era, Glen Weisgerber, Mr. J, Kenny Youngblood and of coure Big Daddy Ed Roth.

We were working out of a small shop for 15 years . When we built our new shop in 95 we had 2 bays 40' deep with a 14'x14' door on one and a 10'x10' door on the other. Mainly I wanted to be able to fit anything in no matter what the weather was. Other guys were lettering outside or had to cancel jobs because of rain or cold. We never cancel a job and the rain usually brings some customers in that can't work because of the weather.

Another small niche we have is lettering vintage race cars. Since I got my start lettering race cars it seems I have come full circle. We have done old dragsters, early Formula One and Trans Am cars, old midgets and stock cars. We reproduce alot of the period decals on the Edge and we can also provide hand lettering which is almost extinct around here.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything can be a niche and the better you do it the more of a niche it is! Funny how old-timers can be amazed at my computer skills and the young folks are fascinated by my hand-lettering skills. Computer skills are moderately common, though, even with good design ability. However, hand painted lettering is increasingly scarce.
The hand lettering is my latest niche and is increasingly appreciated (finally after 30+ years!) by more and more people. Last week I got paid well enough to justify a 2½ hour daily train commute to NYC. And the work was enjoyable and much appreciated and complimented by all concerned. What a niche!

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of working in a niche market. Our business definitely falls into that category and it has paid off well.

We have always purposely taken that track. I see something I like/want to do, then kick things into gear. First off I do our own work... designs and samples to both learn the business and use as a selling tool.

These days I believe it is easier than ever to get into a niche market. With the benefit of the web we can show exactly the type of niche market we want to engage in.

Passion will take us far.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!