Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Here' s something different.. And I need some help.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here' s something different.. And I need some help.
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old customer just left the shop after requesting something I've never attempted before and have no idea how to accomplish.

I lettered his flat-bed Ford maybe 9-10 years ago and now he wants me to make the lettering look weathered; faded and thin. The way rat rods are looking these days.

I know how to give lettering that kind of look when I first do it. (Alicia has a good video of her doing it). But I've never attempted to give that look to lettering that has already been around a while.

Does anyone have a technique that would give the desired effect? I would be most grateful.

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rubbing compound.......some sand paper

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya got some powered bon ami? And a buffer. Clean the lettering with all you got and then hit it with the buffer. Be careful with the buffer. Basicly you will be giving the lettering a beating. Twenty years of weathering all in twenty minutes. Rub, rub, rub, when you get to about 30 percent of it rubbed off, then you're done. If there are any areas where the paint has complelty dissappeared, then you put it back on using the faux finsh techniques. And watch out you don't get into the finish of the truck too much. Maybe, you might even sand the letters with some 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper, but just the letters. And whatever you do, don't let the guy know that you don't know exactly what you are doing. You just say " Sure, sure, no problem"

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd use some 600-800 grit wet sandpaper.
Wet the door and sand it lightly (the lettering.....sometimes it helps to use a sanding block), removing the high spots, or just hitting random areas. Keep it wet. When you get it to the 'look' you want, you're done.

If he wants to preserve it better, he can put a light coat of wax on it later.....or not.

[ September 01, 2011, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! I thought of using the wet sandpaper technique but was afraid of marring the finish. Does the rubbing compound and/or the buffer help with this?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sure....you can polish it right back

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or,,,take out to the Baja 500. All that sand will do the trick!

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when you get done with the compound....
rube your finger along the side of your nose to pick up facial oil...then rub it on the letters..
I used to do this on my model cars that were painted
I termed it....."oil of nosay"....

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Thanks

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!