Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ways you use your laptop to enhance your business/productivity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ways you use your laptop to enhance your business/productivity?
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious... *thinking* about getting a new laptop.... and wondering some of the ways you've used a laptop to enhance your ability to do business....verses a desktop computer.

Some are obvious, but wondering what creative ways you've used your laptop in a fashion that makes it indispensable to you.

Also, have you found any legitimate business benefits to owning a tablet computer?

Thanks good people! Have a great day.

(edited for *spellink*)

[ August 04, 2011, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop is a MUST when doing historical RR equipment restoration. On the newer equipment, like a boxcar, all that gets done is the minimum required by the FRA. Which makes sense, as it could be a graffiti target at any time.The historical stuff is looked after more closely. It has lots of small lettering about interior height, width, and length; destinations, and even the bank that loaned the money for the equipment purchase.
No matter how well I try to include every measurement for letter and logo placement before leaving to the jobsite; there's always something I overlooked. So with the laptop open at the job, I can check any measurement. I usually do it by having a picture or scale drawing on layer one of a vector editing program, then on layer two I make a rectangle that fits between the edge of the lettering and the edge of the car. Then I check the size of the rectangle against whatever scaling method I'm using.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop often has a grandkid in it, which generally cuts down on my productivity.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lap's top supports my belly, which in turn holds food to support the rest of me while sitting in front of the desktop.

Productivity often starts with Start>Turn off Computer>shutdown ! (on the Internet PC, that is, not the work ones...)

[ August 04, 2011, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently promoted at work and put together a proposal for a desktop and a laptop system. Since I am expected to do some travel for my job we decided a laptop makes the most sense. I am trying to find a New 21" Cintiq monitor to go along with the system while at work but they are next to impossible to find right now. I will be running OSX and Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro.

I guess I would ask myself how much I need the computer to be mobile.

For my home/office computer I decided to buy a 27" iMac because I don't do much personal business travel any more. The large monitor is the best I've ever used for mural design work....or any graphic design work for that matter. But it is far from mobile! I own an older Mac laptop but that is not used for travel any longer since Brenda and I both have iPads.

The iPad has pretty much taken over for all my personal travel needs. I have it check all my email (including outlook at work). I have an APP that shows all my travel set up through our business travel agent. I can also remote access into my home computer and retrieve files that way.

I mostly use the iPad for business as a presentation tool. I purchased a Pico pocket projector and can project a slideshow all under battery power using the iPad. I also have a battery powered speaker systen to go along with it. The Pico is the size of a cell phone and projects and image up to 60".

I find the tablet computer way more useful than a netbook ever would be, but that's just how I work? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to get one. work shall be done at desktop, then work is over comp will be shutdown. A laptop is another gadget i don't care to have. I work on the computer enough now and I respect that its not a tag along

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember buying my first laptop- it also had a docking station and a monitor/keyboard- ironically, 99% of my work was done in the office, so I hardly ever used it for what it was intended- a portable device. After a few months, it dawned on me that it wasn't a very smart purchase- I should have spent my money on a more practical tool.

Then a few years ago, I bought my first MacBook- nothing special, just the basic 13" off of the shelf- but then I started doing more work away from the office, and it was very handy portable device. I have literally carried it halfway around the world.

Last year I got a part-time job doing graphics at my church, and part of the deal was being in the church office a few hours each week. My older MacBook was struggling to keep up with the newer graphics software, so I bought a new MacBook Pro (my wife and son inherited the older MacBook) and it has been a pretty good investment for the amount of work I do away from the office.

I still don't use a laptop for the bulk of my art work, I sstill prefer to use larger desktop models- and I have really tried to justify an iPad or other tablet device, but I still haven't found a way to do it realistically. (I came real close when I was drawing caricatures this summer and I saw a lady doing caricatures using an iPad- even my wife was trying to talk me into doing that)

I recently got a real cheap 7" notebook, (less than $80) mainly for the kids to play with- I can't even see the screen very well, so I doubt I will ever try to use it for any kind of work.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the budget for tech in the Gill household? Showing your stuff anytime my wife complains.

Anywho, I really don't see more creative ways of using a laptop than a desktop other than the obvious portability. My desktop at home is on it's last legs and I purchased a Thinkpad laptop as it's replacement. Just hook a mouse and external monitor and pretty much the same, though I doubt laptop components will last nearly as long as a desktop.

I purchased an Ipad a few months ago and that has filled the gap that maybe you are looking for. The note apps especially Notability are great for taking on estimates with writing and photos all on one page. Calendar and to do lists just work so much better for me with this than any computer.

As far as real power though, no way. When I need work done I use a computer. There is nothing on any tablet that can hold it's own to a vector drawing or bitmap editing software on a regular computer. For fun I use a lot of the sketching and painting programs and they bog down and crash all the time. Not real serious software in that sense.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the thoughts thus far guys. I was debating on a full-blown i7 laptop with all the bells/whistles.... but then again... I'm thinking that maybe I'd be better off buying a grade level down... and just upgrade sooner.

I prefer a desktop too... but was thinking a laptop might be nice to haul around to prospective customers on occasion. Maybe good for making that last little tweak on site, etc.

I was thinking that there might be uses other than the obvious that I could be taking advantage of.

I'm not so sure how much better an tablet computer would be than a smart-phone. You can take pictures, organize with a calendar, etc. But you would lack the larger size.... yet they really intrigue me.

I can see it being very handy to have on the couch at night browsing the web... and it might even allow me to get rid of the magazines in the crapper... LOL.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop paid for itself the 1st time that I took it to look at a job.

Took a pic with my digi camera and roughed out a sign in Corel, then imported the pic of the building and placed it in the pic. Customer was so impressed that I quoted $300 more than normal and got the job.

Now it goes along with me ... especially on truck quotes.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, I use my laptop a lot. I take it with me to maximize time between things if I am in the city waiting for another appointment. Also, I have used it to show clients things sometimes from problems to color choices or to speed up the decision process for them. I am discriminating with that though as some clients will respect you less thinking they can do the same as you just pushing a few buttons.
I can't speak for the pads as I don't have one but I would probably choopse a pad for reason already stated here by others-portfolio, problem solving and basiclly replacing the laptop being carried so much. good luck!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop is primarily used when I'm teaching our workshops or on the road. I use it to do some design work in the house or post to the blogs I write - generally in the evenings while I relax in front of the TV. It beats watching commercials and even a lot of the programming these days.

I also have an iPad which is what my portfolio is now on. I much prefer the portability of it (over a laptop) and the iPad works fabulous for customer presentations. On trips I'll use the iPad to keep in touch with home and customers as well.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if size is what you're after in a laptop if yer just wanting to sit around cozied up with it at night.

If you want a "lap" top, don't make the mistake I did going for the biggest one out there. It makes for something very uncomfortable and unwieldy when your sitting around on the couch at night.

A tablet might even be the way to go, as having the screen flipped up on any laptop is always a bit of nuisance. A tablet is more like handling a book or holding a magazine.

Perhaps a balance is a moderately sized screen in a very slim, lightweight notebook package.

Just something to think on!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks guys - appreciate each of your ideas... am still weighing it out.

David - glad I can help you out in your endeavors to add to the tech toys. :-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!