Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Making Plans...Retiring to the Woods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Plans...Retiring to the Woods
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Alicia's post about not collecting more stuff I thought I would tell you guys our plans about getting rid of most of our stuff and moving to the country.

We are downsizing from a 3400 sq ft house to a 1200 sq ft cabin in the woods with a small shop for my semi-retired sign work...one side of the wooded property looks out onto a pasture with horses and a small lake...the pasture stretches out to a distant tree line with a farm road running through it...in the winter the grasses in one of the fields turn a beautiful golden color...the diagram shows a portion of the drive and where we will bring in power...we have already built a 1/2 mile drive into the property and cleared for power...bringing in the power and digging a well will be next...if all goes well we hope to start building the cabin this coming spring...I have just started to get rid of our stuff on ebay and craig's list...we will only need a minimal amount of furniture...GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD...actually I'm pretty lucky...it's not been that cruel to me..............as of yet.

-

-

This is a pic of the cabin we would like to build...it is one of the rental cabins at David Crockett State Park...we have stayed in it and found it very comfortable and efficient...the state incorporated many green ideas into the cabins so we would like to use them as well..we plan to use our southern exposure for passive solar gain...this view is very deceptive and gives the impression that it is much larger than 1200 sq ft...the other views are very simple.

I suppose the idea of developing myself as a landscape painter will have to take a backseat for a year or two...but that's ok...there will still be time enough to make that dream come true as well........I hope.

I can not end this post without thanking my partner...what has happened thus far would not have occurred without her energy, determination, and vision...I tend to be a rather laid back person...even to a fault at times...she makes up for my weaknesses with her dauntless spirit and energy...thank you Donna...I am a lucky man.

[ August 01, 2011, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Rusty. Its always nice to see dreams become reality.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over my desk, inscribed into a large beam is the latin translation of 'DREAM - THEN BUILD' Have fun!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, Rusty!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet dream Rusty and good for you to lovingly acknowledge Donna as well. I wish for you your dream come true!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool if ya don't step forward ya never realize how far you can go, and this looks sounds awesome

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Rusty - best of luck to you. I hope all goes as planned.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a little tune to help keep the dream in focus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOnK-L19TM

Go for it, Rusty and Donna......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, best of luck on your adventure. Looks like you still have a lot of hard work ahead of you but it will be time well spent. I think a lot of us have the dream of leaving the rat race in the city for the peaceful life in the woods. I know I do.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!!!!!

Retirement??????

I'll probably expire befor I retire. [Wink]

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey joe .....I DID THAT!!!!! expire that is)))))
rusty check this out. http://www.logcabinhomes.com/?gclid=CLrqhqKsr6oCFYLu7QodiCem7g or this http://naturecrafthomes.com/ if you dont want the expense of a log cabin, these new 140 mph wind load modular homes are great if your looking for 1200 sq ft. http://www.prestigenola.com/homeindex.html or something like this. http://www.gccds.org/research/altconstruction/factory/factory.pdf
these modern "modular homes" aint your hillbilly 12 wide mobile home)))))) ive watched a show how they build these. when building a house you make stud walls, cover with OSB/PLYWOOD with nails only. these house are stud walls, GLUED & SCREWED, with the insulation as part of the structure. really the way to go if your not wanting 2000 or better sq ft.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Rusty, I already live in the country and love it, in a log home I built myself, 26 years ago.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After you settle in I'll send you some chickens.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wanted to have a house that had a fresh stream running underneath it to cool the milk [Smile]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia...funny thing...less than 5 minutes ago Donna said we will have to get chickens...so we might take you up on that offer.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is one in UNIONTOWN PA. built by frank Lloyd wright for the kaufman family from Pittsburgh. it called FALLING WATERS. been in it.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://roadsidewonders.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/falling_water15.jpg&imgrefurl=http://roadsidewonders.net/frank-lloyd-wrights-falling-water/&usg =__ESQMufGHKldpUK35RTNVNTkNVxw=&h=1600&w=1200&sz=474&hl=en&start=17&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=gpJqnSWshKJIAM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=113&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfalling%2Bwaters%2Binterior%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS383%26tbm%3Disch&ei=-w84TpnbDOPj0QHxt8DDAw

[ August 02, 2011, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

OP...thanks for the links...but Donna and I decided "Falling Water" is just a little to plain for us. [Wink]

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

OP...we think something like this is more in our price range

-

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

hey rusty, i actually OWNED this property in pa!!!!
my mom bought it in 1957. it had an upstairs porch then. the roof, the green was there in 1957. the gray is a patch job since i sold the place in 1980!!!!! picture was taken in 2003.
 -

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are the old cars, but i don't see the chickens

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

and you dont see the outhouse..........hahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP... I don't see any paint on the walls, are you sure you lived there? LOL.... just kiddin' man. I do like those log cabin house links you posted... very nice.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Rusty!

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you have to know about log cabins ... they CREAK!

Temperature and weather changes make them do that due to expansion and contractions.

Friend of mine sold his because it would wake him up out of a sound sleep.

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

Three more payments and that one's all yours.

OP,

How many dogs under the porch?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy Kjer
Resident

Member # 3026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy Kjer   Author's Homepage   Email Joy Kjer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you guys subscribe to Mother Earth News magazine? They have all kinds of articles from people doing exactly what you plan to do.

--------------------
Joy Kjer
Art On Display Signs
4001 Randolph St
Lincoln, NE

"My life has a superb cast,
but I can't figure out the plot."

Posts: 445 | From: 4001 Randolph St. Lincoln, NE | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, that is wonderful, your new home/idea! I go to the cabin every weekend, & it is great to relax & geta way. I am so happy for you both!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds wonderful....

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are log homes which crek and than there's the Sing home which doesn't. Log homes have come a long way if you just search.

Lawns suck yet gardens grow food for the soul

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!