Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Any tips for a good presentation to a committee?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any tips for a good presentation to a committee?
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was choosen as one of four finalists to be the designer of a city entrance sign. I have 5 min to present my design and then 10 min of question and answers.

I want to know what tips anyone has for success.

Thanks!

[ July 27, 2011, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Brickman ]

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a job like that.
I never do designs without a deposit..but work was slow so I took a chance.
I bid it fairly and won the job for my design....
if you have a good layout...it will basically sell itself
Just because you have 5 minutes doesnt mean you need to use 5 minutes.
Let your artwork do the work for you

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take homemade cookies and hand them out before the question and answer segment...they'll ask fewer questions...just make sure the cookies are good or it could backfire.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2180 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Michael! I like that pov of not having to use the 5 minutes.
I'm thinking of it basiclly being selling to a group rather than a shop owner. With keeping their best interests as priority.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bruce....

I have done two entrance signs for Port Angeles.

see pictures here: jacksonsignartstudio.com

Firstly, you need to make it as maintenance free as possible since all cities are cash poor in that department (usually city parks department) so they will be happy about that aspect.

Secondly, the design needs to reflect some element of your city or surrounding area that shows visitors a favorable side when they enter.

Thirdly, You need to provide them a picture of the sign in place on quality paper with copies for all concerned. Then provide a model to show them the dimensions in 3-D. Most people are visually challenged, so something they can hold in their hands and turn around to see all sides works very well. I made mine out of a piece of signfoam and placed it on a flat board and then I added landscaping. Stuff I picked out of my yard with rocks and whatever works well. You really need to include landscaping...and NOT typical american landscaping either, such as small bushes and beauty bark....yuck, that is the very worst. Thinking outside the box here will make the deal.

Your presentation should be first class so put your very best idea into it. They will be impressed. Price it high to make it worth your time. I had a horticulturist friend do all the landscaping and I did the sign. We call it a "SignScape" Make it a package deal.

If you have any questions...please feel free to give me a call @ 1-360-457-3703 and I can give you further input.

Good luck with this....If you pull this off you will have a sign that advertizes for you every day 24-7.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armani Suit, Italian leather shoes, and an aire of self confidence. If that doesn't work, get on your knees and beg.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3834 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one you guys!
I'll start with the cookies Rusty mentioned and then go for the suit and Italian leather shoes!
Alicia maybe I could take your dog Mac and have him convince them!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preferably a picture of one you've done before - experience sells - otherwise make a miniature of what you propose, if your inclination & the potential budget allow for it.

Plus the good ideas from above, particularly emphasisinig DURABILITY, i.e. long life no maintenance, like painted cast concrete!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just take them a layout and a price and lay it on table and walk out. Any questions they have will be pointless and they will be looking for the cheapest sign not the best looking...in my experience

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bruce B,
Are you just in the running for the design alone or is it for design, fabrication, etc?

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Write your name small on hundred dollar bills and tell them they are your business cards? Pass out one each to the memebers of the board?

Get a Vanna White as an assistant to go with you?

Ask them if the competitors have been yet checked out by the Department of Homeland Security as you suspect there is a terrorist cell of signmakers on your community?

Have Vito or Rosco go see each of the members afterwards and remind tham who they should select?

Offer an outright bribe to the members?

On second thought, maybe just have the best presentation model and make sure you emphasize how durable and trouble free it will remain over the many years of its service....and show up on time!

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1561 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably have to go with Alicia's advice!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Checkers, this is from the proposal:

AWARD
$500 To the selected designer, plus an additional
$1,200 To develop the approved conceptual design suitable for bidding and construction.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bruce,
Although I probably would pass on the "contest" part of the job, it actually doesn't sound too bad.

As the others already mentioned, a high quality rendering is always a plus. Bring your portfolio along too.

And, since we are sign makers, I probably would go one step further and do a small sample if the project is large enough. Or, I would, at least, bring samples of the materials I would recommend using.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!