Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cutting perfect holes in thick material

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cutting perfect holes in thick material
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy all!

I'm having to chevron up the back end of a firetruck with thicker than thick material this round. The stripes need to go over a compartment door with exposed screws that are embedded into the door.

I'll be removing selected screws at a time to stripe the door, however this means I have to cut perfect holes where each designated screw situates.

Punches or drills tend to shatter or shred the material. Hand cutting straight is hard enough never mind attempting a curve. In order to cut through the material, the blade requires about three swipes hand done.

I'm drawing a blank on this one. Any ideas on how I can accomplish perfect circles where required with this stuff?

No, he doesn't want me to just 'miss' the hole area. [Frown]

Thanks!

[ July 12, 2011, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a rotozip type tool work? It's a lot faster than a drill.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna the hand tool for punching grommet holes might work not knowing the size you need but that type of hand tool is a possiblity.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam assuming the holes you need are SCREW HOLES?
whats the problem with laying on the vinyl, then finding the screw hole by pushing on the vinyl,till you can see the hole indent, then taking an exacto and making an X and then running the screw back in the hole???? the shattering you make reference to doesnt happen when you cut it, it happens when you OVER TIGHTEN the screw back into the hole.and they do make HEAVY DUTY EXACTOS!
http://www.xacto.com/Product/X3206

[ July 12, 2011, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, may I recommend in the future you check out the V92 material from Reflexite.

Its got the same reflectivity as the 3M chevron material but its thinner and can be cut with a plotter and X-acto. You'll find it a lot easier to deal with.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try sharpening the edge of a piece of steel tube, like the barrel of a ballpoint pen. Then gently twist the end on the desired area. It should cut a neat, clean hole if you sharpen it well.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Wayne Webb is one smart bluegrass picker.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can buy a "pre sharpened steel tube" with GROMMET KITS, at any hardware store!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the steel tube needs a centering pin so you can align properly...I had a tool made for cutting graphics on race cars around the deuz fasteners
it had a pin in the center that fit the inside of the hole where the fastener went thru and the cutting edge was twisted and made a hole slightly bigger than the fastener head
the tool had a knob handle and it was pressed against the surface and spun to cut

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The material I'm using is a 3M product and actually is not thick. The issue became when my client ordered the accompanying 'bright green'. 3M applied an overlaying transparent film over the product to produce the green effect. Whatever that stuff is, it's bullet proof! I'm going to suggest something else next time for him.

OP, you cannot flex this foil like material, even the thin stuff. I attempted that last time but where the screw recessed, it buckled all the material around each head. It really needs to be a clean round cut prior.

I don't think a hand punch will do it, (I stock them) but we'll have to try. I'll get the firetruck place to rig something special up to hopefully prove my (impossible to do) plea. Michael, wish I had that thing you used right now with the middle pin indicator. Cool idea!

[ July 13, 2011, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just put the screws in place and screw them in trough the vinyl, is there really a need for you to cut a hole?

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Stein. The screws are embedded so they sit flush with the door, not on top. I already asked if we could use longer screws and just cover the holes with washers but they said no. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Donna...

What about making a paper pattern to match the new graphics, marking exactly where the holes are to be positioned. Then overlay the pattern on the actual material and drilling the holes with a ... drill.

Good luck with it!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the screws are flush with the door...can't you just go right over them? If the material is that thick, they may not even show.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,

Cover it with a piece of distressed MDO, call it "funky" and tell them they'll be featured in a magazine that covers the English speaking world.

As usual, I'm no help, but congrats on the magazine spread.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Tony, you need to be able to unscrew the door.

Pat, not a bad idea... I'll bring my cordless drill tomorrow for a trial, but I think it'll chip up the material. We shall see!

It really needs to be punched. Or not done at all. I nearly have them convinced to 'miss' the area. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about going over the holes, then cut around the screws ?

[ July 15, 2011, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: stein Saether ]

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leather punches. They can be purchased in many sizes and sharpened so you could place it and press and rotate

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey again...if you think it will chip, make a small pilot hole in the center then use the size bit that you need but run the drill in REVERSE and let the bit 'melt' through the material - or at least through the top layer.

Again, good luck.

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!