Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Robots, Rayguns, Garden Gnomes and Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robots, Rayguns, Garden Gnomes and Signs
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do they all have in common? Well, they are all currently part of my latest project.
I started the robot before the Plymouth Walldog event, and have jumped back in now that I'm home after the 4th of July holiday.
I have wanted to make a robot for awhile, and designed several. Each version was designed to hold a sign. I had also been asked some time back if I could do a garden gnome sculpture and I just didn't have the time for the project, but thought a steampunk garden gnome would be fun..last but not least, I signed up to participate in a contest to "improve" a raygun made by WETA as part of their Dr. Grordbort product line. So many projects...so little time. Wait! What if I combined them all!
So- I'm working on a robot holding a sign in one hand and a lethal raygun in the other. He is controlled by a little garden gnome that will be visible from a port on front.
The project began with the body of the robot- which I decided to build from plywood. It's made of 20 triangles which make up a kind of "sphere".
 -
 -

Then I created an armature for the legs and arms. This armature will be covered with pieces of carved Azek material. First I built up some "mounts" for the legs out of 30lb. HDU.

-

-

Today, I worked on the leg pieces- designed in illustrator, and then carved.

-

Once they were carved- I attached them to the legs.

-

Great fun! To top off my day, the kit from WETA arrived! It's the base "raygun" that I will take apart and upgrade as part of my robot build. It's a shame to take it apart as the raygun is gorgeous and large all by itself!

-

Dan S. set me on a crazy path a year ago...and I wouldn't change it for anything!

You can follow my build at www.haffnersigns.blogspot.com

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Doug go!!!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What fun! I wish you could have met my father and vice versa. I think your personalities would have really meshed. Perhaps some day I'll post some of the crazy projects he did. [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is CRAZY! I guess it takes one to know one.

Nice work Doug!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the little garden Gnome driver! On the 1-10 scale overall I give it an.......... 18. Yes folks, an 18. How are you going to male the domed front window?

make npt male, my finders don't work wight today, maybe its the keyboard, yeah its the keyboard

[ July 08, 2011, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Deri Russell ]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, that is so cool!!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Haffner   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Haffner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all!
I am having a great time building this. I am stretching as hard as I can and learning with each step. The legs have been a huge learning experience! I finally finished the leg coverings today. I still need to make the "feet" but decided to treat myself to some fun working on the cockpit.
 -

I whipped up some "greeblies" to put in the cockpit, including several gauges and pipes. These details will really bring the inside of the robot alive and help sell the "reality" of it.

-

Now I'm off to do some molding and casting of that raygun. I'm going to need several pieces to do my "upgrade".

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Posts: 211 | From: Wyoming, Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Made more progress!
I've added some details inside and begun the sculpting work on the pilot and his chair. The chair is based on an old antique barber chair I found online. I whipped out bulk of the chair this morning and will spend my afternoon making the pilot's arms and head. Once they are roughly shaped, I'll add magic sculpt details. It's coming together pretty well, so far and I can't wait to get some paint on it!
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

I finally have a pilot in my robot!
He's a bit of an adventurer, and I dare say even a gentleman. The only way to enjoy a good stout walk while driving a robot is, of course, with a good pipe. If you are among those who find displeasure with those who partake of a fine tobacco now and again...he says "Good Day TO YOU SIR! GOOD DAY!"

-

-

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's make a terrific illustration for Jules Verne's Voyage to the Moon written in 1865!

Love the moustache!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Verne's Voyage to the Moon the ship leaves from here in Tampa. This was to use the rotation of the earth to help the ascent. Notice the real rockets take off from Cape Canaveral across the state for that reason. There is a Jules Verne street near the bay because of this.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

I couldn't take it anymore and put some paint on the chair...besides, it was easier to do it with the chair now than it would be installed in the robot....R2D2 stood by just to make sure I got it right.

-

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh... another Dan S graduate is tearing up the horizon as we know it. Amazing mind you have there, Doug!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Thanks Donna,
I've said many times that I had my doubts when Dan told me that attending his workshop would change my perceptions and maybe my life. He did just that.
The last year has been a whirlwind and I've enjoyed it all!
I'm still finding my own style and working on my skills, but it's been a great journey so far.
Somebody at the Plymouth Walldog meet asked me if I minded being compared to Dan and I said "Are you kidding? What a great compliment!"
He's way down the road ahead of me, but I'm trying to cover ground as quickly as I can!
Every day he spends relocating polar bears is a day I can try to catch up! Ha!

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need to catch up with Dan, Doug. I see a stlye of your own developing, let it take you where it will. I'm really liking where you are headed. [Smile]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been many folks attend the Sign Magic Workshops in the last years. Those who attend fall into four categories.

Most love what they learn, but go back to their busy shops intending to use some of what they got, but then let the daily busy pace simply distract them from making any changes in their work or lives. They simply wish

A few get into the groove, but then try and emulate everything I do. In the process they try and become like me. They forget that I was merely trying to inspire them not turn out copies of me.

Some take bits and pieces of what I teach and adapt it to their style. A little texture, more dimension and perhaps even a wiggly line or two doesn't radically change their style but simply adds to it. This is cool and well worth my effort and their time of attending the workshop.

Then there are the guys like Doug. There is one or more of these folks in every workshop. He sat in the front row of everything we did during the workshop, soaking up every possible thing he could. He came early each day and was the last to leave at night. He and others like him were the people constantly asking endless questions... WHY? HOW? WHAT IF? He wasn't thinking of what they were seeing but rather of how they might apply it to the projects in their head. When he went home his first couple of projects may have had some resemblance to some of what I've done. This is part of learning. Then these folks started blazing trails of their own, pushing the limits of their own style and abilities. They used the workshop as inspiration as a springboard to give their own ideas wings.

These are my favorite kinds of students - the big payback for me as a teacher. I get to help light the rockets and then watch them fly!

Go Doug GO! I'll be doing my best to maintain a similar trajectory as you blast off into space. And I'll enjoy both my and your ride along the way.

-grama dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Haffner
Resident

Member # 12445

Dan,
Thanks...Eventually I'll be back for another round at your workshop with more questions and ready to add new tricks. In the meantime, I couldn't help it...I got up early this morning and decided the pilot needed to be painted. The chair was too much fun and I couldn't leave it alone! (Also, the pilot is also easier to paint now rather than later).

When I finally painted in his eyes..it really came together...

-

-

--------------------
Doug Haffner
Haffner Signs
www.haffnersigns.com
309-338-9570
211 W. Williams
Wyoming, Il

Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, he is just outstanding! Yes, the eyes always make a project come alive!!!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How great it is to see that Dan has lit some fires that are burning brightly.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic all around.

Very cool.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug...even your photography is improving...good job. Can't wait to see more.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're having way too much fun with that! R2D2 would make a great sidekick in that robot as well. He's from long ago and far away, so he'd have had time to get here to help your pilot.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!