Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Outdoor PVC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor PVC
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AlumaPanel's catalog says "Komatex" is an indoor product. Is there a PVC type/brand which will last several years outdoors? I need something in a dark green. What do ya think?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously there are more "indoor" pvcs on the market! These letters were up 2 weeks and this happened, this is from grimco and Im not impressed! be careful in your choices sir

-
IMG_0095 by visual800, on Flickr

-
IMG_0094 by visual800, on Flickr

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUCH!!

I'm planning to use it one something other than a sign. Pics later......

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exterior version of Komatex is called Komacel. It has a gloss finish and holds up well outdoors.

We use it often, but there are some conditions. First, we almost always paint it, even if we want black or white. Unpainted white will get moldy on the edges after a few years resulting in a white sign with green sides. Also, we almost always use 19mm (3/4") or 25mm (1") thick panels.

Komacel only comes in white so we never use black Komatex outdoors. If you do, you get the result in the photo. It absorbs too much heat and curls. Always paint white Komacel black.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When ordering PVC I have never been asked if I want interior or exterior grade does anyone else? what do they do to make one exterior grade?

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not had any good luck with any PVC product that hasn't been painted. We made the mistake, several years ago, of listening to a Trovicel salesman's "Oh,yeah, it'll work fine outdoors." We had a job, making 42" tall cut-out letters, in dark blue, for a good customer. Taking the salesman at his word, we did them, and they looked great...for about a year. Then they statred to fade out. Even that wouldn't have been too bad, except that they didn't fade evenly. Different letters faded faster than others.

It was a mess, and we wound up having to fix the job. Fortunately, we were able to paint them on-site, and the job looked good again. Our customer was OK with us taking care of the problem that way. Others might not have been so understanding.

Paint it, if you're using it outside, and use as thick a material as you can, to keep it from warping. Or glue some reinforcement strips on the backs to keep it from happening.

Also, we used plenty of studs to mount them, so they couldn't pull loose like above. Also, use silicone adhesive, as it is much stronger than the acrylics.

[ June 30, 2011, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys........

This is the contraption I want to use the PVC on. It's a 'sheep table'. A sheep, goat, or calf enters the opening at the right, then is squeezed firmly. It keeps them immobilizxed in order to safely administer their shots, deworm, trim hooves etc. I wanted something which would last outdoors but didn't want metal or plywood which might cut or splinter my animals. I just have a few more things to weld on it before sandblasting and painting. Oh yeah.....and alot of the skills can be used in sign fabrication as well.

Animal enters at the right.....
 -

Panel is squeezed shut....
 -

Animal is rotated on it's side. The PVC sheet would provide a nice, smooth surface for the animal to rest on.
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you'll have any trouble using it for that, Wayne. Only thing I would caution you, use locking nuts or Loctite on your screws and don't really crank them down super tight when installing the panels. The stuff will crack without too much difficulty.

[ June 30, 2011, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Dale, I hear ya about the cracking. You knw, come to think of it, I have a sheet of 1/2" MDO down in the barn. I could cut it down tio size, route the edges, paint and mount it on usin stainless self-drilling screws with countersunk heads.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Leave the frame uncovered, an it would make a dandy rotisserie too!!!!!!!!! Kidding!!!!

Yeah, the MDO will work fine. I don't know where you'd find it there; but if you could come up with some 1/4 " or so, polyethylene sheet, that'd be 'it'. The stuff is very tough, slippery and it wouldn't need painting.

Lots of outdoor furniture, recycle bins, trash containers, etc. around. Might check with your city or county maintenance dept, to see if they had any damaged containers you could use. You could cut the sides out of some of them. Just a thought..

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Thanks Dale

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!