Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Suggestions for laptop replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions for laptop replacement
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After having a Dell and IBM Think Pad, I am considering a new laptop computer. The Dell is over 10 years old and is used mainly for my workshop Power Point presentations. The IBM is over 3 years old but was bought used, so I don't really know its age. It is used mainly for internet connections, but is having problems with the USB ports.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? I might even consider going over to the dark side and purchasing one of those fruity things.

Main usage will be internet and Power Point presentations along with some DVD movies and such. No games - I'm too old and not coordinated enough.

Of course, money is always a consideration.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my latest laptop is a gently used 15" MacBook Pro- only about 3 months old- I paid about $700 cash for it (new, it was about $1000) I gave my older MacBook (about 6 years old) to my wife- it is still running strong, as well. I think my favorite, must-have feature is being completely wireless- internet, printing, etc.

There are a bunch of cheaper priced PC laptops out on the market- even some great priced used/older models that should work great for your needs. I don't have any experience with any of them, so I couldn't recommend one in particular, but I have always had great results with Dell.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray -

Apple always rates very high... however, you said that 'money is a consideration'.... and Apple's will run you about double a pc. Compare similar equipped configurations between a MacBook Pro 17 and an Dell XPS 17. BIG difference.

Plus, think about the programs you have and use, and what that would mean as far as duplicating software costs for the Mac platform. Is your video editing software Windows only based? How about your MS Office? Coreldraw doesn't have a Mac version..... etc.

I have high regards for Apple's quality and style, however, will be going back to strictly PC I believe based upon my personal preference of liking Windows 7 better.... plus, the pain of switching back and forth between OS's differences.

Consumer Reports rates laptops on both their in-house testing, along with user experience data collected from literally thousands of laptop users who fill out their yearly product questionnaires.... here's the results - note that a full red circle means 'excellent', a half red circle means 'better than average' a white circle means 'average'... and then the reverse for 'black' circles.

Brand reliability is based upon actual laptop owners responses in their yearly questionnaires. Note that only 5% separates the brand with the fewest repairs to Dell, the brand most questionnaire respondents had the most repairs with.

My experience with Dell, is that while I hate talking to foreign tech support - they do a pretty decent job and are easy to get ahold of...

I would recommend getting an extended warranty for a laptop regardless of which brand you buy.

Apple has a very short mfg's warranty, and so their 'Apple Care' warranty - which is pricey - is almost a requirement.

Apple has excellent customer support - and you'll talk to an American (my experience)...but you're paying for it in the price of the computer.

The numbers at the 'right' of the colored dots are 'battery life' followed by 'weight.'

A 'check-mark' means Consumer Reports gives it a Recommended rating.... a solid blue box with check-mark means Consumer Reports gives it a 'Best Buy' recommendation.

NOTE The colored 'dots' from left to right correspond to the following attributes as tested for : Performance/Portability/Ergonomics/Versatility/Display.

I myself, am eying a Dell XPS 17.... hope this helps.

15/16 inch models are similar.... Dell XPS rates very high.... you can contact me about specific models and I can look them up and see how they are rated - if they were tested.

-

-

[ June 22, 2011, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have an old SONY VAIO. 1.4 gig. if i was lookin at new ones.......I WOULD CONSIDER another VAIO.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh.... Ray, I have read on 'online' computer review sites that Samsung has very nice laptops - Best Buy sells them, and they told me they were top notch too.... unfortunately Consumer Reports didn't include them in their testing/ratings - so I can't attest for anything other than online reviews....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray,
I have 2 Dells and am very happy with them both. One piece of advice, I have a bunch of friends who used to work for HP and they all say under no circumstances to buy an HP.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister has a Toshiba and my mom has a Samsung.

So far, they have been very happy with them.

At one time, Toshiba laptops had a poor reputation. That has changed quite a bit in the last few years and are now one of the top rated.

These would be my choice......

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/2808132.p?id=121835 2577317&skuId=2808132

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/Graphite/2235132.p?id=1218315006 844&skuId=2235132

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray,
I have the Dell XPS and am very satisfied with it. My wife has been using the Dell Inspirion 6000 and she has been hauling that thing most everyday for sevveral years. I debated on hers or the one I have and still am not sure if the extra cost for mine was worth it. Again I am very satisfied with this Dell XPS. Good luck!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an HP Pavilion which lasted me five years and in the past year has been down 3 times yet my MacBook hasn't had a flaw since I've gotten it in 07

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow Dan's lead.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan who?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Dell is in the mix, their factory outlet often has some nice buys. You can sort based on a number of parameters of hardware and software configurations.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2201&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

I think Billy Pickett was telling you to get a MultiCam.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray .... if you are looking for an 'out of lease' or factory refurbished:

http://www.clearanceclub.com/

they have mostly Sony laptops.

Good service and prices.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a loan of a mac for a couple of days and make your own mind up. Thats what I did two years ago, never looked back

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
samsung

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, if you plan to work with photos, consider a mac for the clarity. Other than that, I have no suggestions. I want a laptop too!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you have it, buy everything.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When choosing any computer..
First on the list is selecting what software to be run on it.
Then select the machine to best match your needs.

To hell with all the MAC verses PC debates.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have had PC's (and their virus issues), so try something different for a change. And see for yourself why so many people really like using Macs.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, go Mac . Mr. Pickett will loan you the money for the new software needed.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" if you plan to work with photos, consider a mac for the clarity."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, dontcha luv it? where do these kinda stories get started?
i had a guy who was A MAC AFICIONADO, tell me that ONLY a mac computer can generate and display...A PERFECT CIRCLE!!!!!! i stood there and and laughed so hard i almost peed my pants!!!!!!
clarity has to do with ........at what resolution the pic was taken at and what camera lenses CLARITY they used. also what DPI you monitor will reproduce. i had a 720p LCD, max res was 1370 X 768. i traded up to a 1080p lcd with a res of 1920 x 1080. also how a program interprets the picture. programs like PRINT SHOP, PRINT ARTIST, etc. will not give your picture the same
clarity as PHOTOSHOP OR PHOTO PAINT. and lastly..........its HOW GOOD YOUR EYES ARE))))))))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Display quality is based upon the type of LCD screen. Most laptops (and desktops for that matter) come with TN (twisted nematic)lcd screens. These are inexpensive screens with poor color rendition and horrible viewing angles... color and contrast changes are apparent when looking anywhere other than dead center and perpendicular to the screen. I believe Apple uses this technology as well.

Why do laptop manufacturers use this type of screen? Cheaper to produce..... not surprising.

I have read that a VERY FEW laptops have an option for the best screen out there... an IPS (in plane switching) screen - but at a huge $$ premium.

Some laptop manufacturers may tweak their screens or offer higher quality upgrades.... but they will never match the color quality and viewing angles of a desktop IPS screen.

I purposely purchased two highly rated Dell IPS monitors for my desktop setup... you can view them from any angle and the color doesn't change, nor do they 'go black' if you're viewing it from too far off at a side angle. Simply beautiful.

But no.... an Apple isn't necessarily a guarantee of better clarity. They always look better when comparing them to a 6 year old system though. :-)

Edit: Forgot to include a link to lcd screen types and technologies...if you're interested.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

[ June 23, 2011, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 13 inch and 15 inch laptop, and I have even owned a 17 inch one a few years ago- I have to say I prefer the smaller sized one to carry around and travel with. I do most of my actual work on large desktop computers, so a large laptop, for me, is not really necessary. Just about anything you look at these days will be better than a 10 year old unit- If you are going to have limited use for it, I wouldn't look at spending much on one- if all you are using it for is internet and a few powerpoint shows, you might be fine with a small netbook for around $200 or so.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next laptop will be a small one. I found the large screen version next to impossible to use on a cross country flight. There are now available some petite computers with high performing processors, graphics, and hard drives.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it just so happens i am preparing a speech on buying a new computer for school,...first as Curtis states what software will you need to use and then what do you intend to do with the files created with said software? Secondly what is your budget?
Take that information and go to google and search reviews for say,.....$750 laptop reviews,....that should bring up a few reviews on new laptops in the price range you are looking in,....its just a matter of checking the specs on the models and finding out which ones will do the job you want,....

another thing to consider is the hardware on the machine,...will it be obsolete when you walk out of the store?????? sometimes spending a few extra dollars can mean a big difference three years from now,...
if you do some simple research on the net the answers are there,...some of the best brands have put out lemon models that totally failed to cut the mustard in the workplace,the only way to avoid this is to do some homework,...if there is a problem with a certain model a simple search with the model brand and model number should bring up a significant number of hits about any consistent problems occurring and the requests for help on tech forums,...

[ June 23, 2011, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
problem with small laptops, they are so packed that they overheat. I had two 13 inch HP pavillion witch simply burnt their graphic card. And they are not much easier to drag around then a 17 either

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!