Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bench Advertising

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bench Advertising
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone do bench advertising? Does the city provide benchs or do you? Do you sell the advertising? The city is thinking about it, so I thought I could give them some ideas. Thanks

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it here in Orlando a non profit outfit does it yeah right lol..but to get a better grip on the contact you might want donate a portion to a non profit the city likes, which leads to bus stop shelters in the future contract.

Remember up in Minnesota a shop was featured in Signcraft about doing them must been in the early to mid 80s when seen.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a guy at "Back To Basics" LH meet in Milwakee (I think it was Rick Dolphens?) who purchased (and donated) benches for every hole on a golf course and he sold advertissing for each one. Each advertiser had to re-up each year with him. He recouped his costs quickly and it's been a steady source of revenue.

I don't know if this helps?

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had adbenches here in Winston-Salem many years ago.These benches were on corners near bus stops and some were placed for no reason at various locations.For some reason they were removed and I think it was an insurance issue.I don't know about that issue but now days insurance would not be a problem. I wouldn't let this discourage you...I would definately pursue this,it's a money maker.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too would like to know more about them if any body knows more. Thanks!

[ June 14, 2011, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Brickman ]

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Dallas Mavericks' bench produced as advertised... Oops! Wrong bench... Still giddy in Big D.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom And Kathy did you learn anything yet?

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce, not yet, but I'm sure someone knows something that will help. Went to a city meeting tonight and they didn't much like the idea of bench advertising in the historical district. I suggested maybe something low key and uniform.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Wilcox
Resident

Member # 8042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Wilcox   Email Lori Wilcox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have, what our Town calls 'Park Benches'. I don't know how many there are around town, but we've probably done about 30+ of them. Don't laugh - we live in a small town!

They are located throughout the town. There is a walking trail from one end of town to the other, I believe a distance of approx 16 miles (okay, now I can hear you laughing!). The benches are strategically placed to be viewed by vehicle traffic. I think they are the best value in advertising - for $1.64 a day, for the client, it's a great deal.

They are 72" x 20". There is a plywood backer-board provided by the Town on log benches.The client purchases the sign from us (or other sign company) and there is an advertising company who handles the billing, usually a 3 year contract. The advertising company charges $600/year, and the Town charges him a fee (I don't know what that fee is). We use Dibond and protect the benches with automotive clear so the vinyl can't easily be vandalized.

--------------------
Lori Wilcox
Tabby Ink
Hinton, Alberta Canada
Ph 780-865-4305

Posts: 306 | From: Hinton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Tom & Kathy, thanks for the update!

Lori i appreciate the info!

There are about six of these in random locations in the town next door. I called to find out the fee is $500.00 a month and I think it is safe to say the person that rents it does the vinyl work too.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have four or five bus stop concrete ends / wood seats with advertising spread out on our home property, these were put together and painted and left by Jerry Mathel. He done just about everything within our craft.

[ June 16, 2011, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Went to a city meeting tonight and they didn't much like the idea of bench advertising in the historical district."

I'd think a place dating back to the 1940s, which wd make it a "historical district" in most towns, wd have usually had lots of benches with advertising on them back then.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Tom & Kathy,
Well I got a call today regarding the permits and information around this and it looks like it hasn't been done here in many years. So, I am going to explore it some more with the regulation info that I have avialable. Here it is based on a groups approval and of course there are hoops to jump through so it will not be at the top of my list but it is a good source of cash flow. I am concerned about visual pollution but I will move ahead here. Did you folks find out anything else?
I'm thinking outside of the historical areas here.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Dennis I like your thinking. It's funny how people forget how much outdoor advertising took place back in the "historic" days. The walls and benches, even the store fronts were covered. Now they think that everything should be historically sterile. Maybe it looks better, but...
Bruce, I might have the historical commitee convinced to do something low key, one color, and all similar in appearance. Bench advertising isn't addressed in the sign code. We have been working on a new one, so something will have to be added.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!