Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What Estimation Program do you use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Estimation Program do you use?
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am currently wanting to change the estimation program that we are currently using. i am unhappy with it and we just told that it is a discontinued product and nothing more will be done to improve and that they probably will not promote it any more. i have so many complaints i can not list them all but the biggest is that i will not work with Quick books.

If you are using a estimation software i would like to know about it. i have used Estimate and have graduated out of it. it will need to track production, inventory, marketing, and sync with quick books, and make consistent estimates across multiple users with a wide range of products including custom carving and silkscreen printing.

Lovelady

[ June 06, 2011, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Chris Lovelady ]

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,
I saw this but have no experience with it.
graphixcalc.com

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the newest version of Estimate handles all of that these days.

[ June 06, 2011, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had an inconsistency with multiple users and estimating the same job twice never coming out the same..part of that is with the sliders i think...that is why i went to an other estimating software...i also need to track the WIP(work in progress) as well as marketing tools to track when you speak to a customer and scheduling the next call...you know marketing.

lovelady

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Bump....

come on folks are you guessing at your pricing, are you just doing time and materials, are you basing your pricing from markets out of your area market(like standard price books).Do you just guess at it or price your work on what your neighbor is pricing his/her work.

how do you deal with your customer base. are your customers called on a schedule time like every 3 months after the job is done? how do you deal with leads and exploring new target markets, how do you track your profitable items and items that you should not pursue(like magnetics)?

Lovelady

[ June 07, 2011, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Chris Lovelady ]

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

I think this could be a larger topic that is how do you market new customers and keep your curent customers.

what are the big franchise shops using for there estimating software?

Lovelady

[ June 07, 2011, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Chris Lovelady ]

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Chris,

I'm still using old (1.99) Estimate and, when linked with Quick Books, it does almost all of what you need. Granted, it's a lot easier to control when you're a one man shop though [Smile]

When I worked for a franchise many years ago, believe I worked with Activity P.O.S. (it might have been Cyrious) which, although slightly flawed, was a very good program that pretty much did everything you need.

A lot of programs have come on the market since I initially looked into estimating programs. So, something better may have come along since then. However, I would likely stick with Estimate for convenience and support should I decide to upgrade.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Thanks Checker,
we are currently using Cyrious and yes it is flawed is several areas...I want to get away from it!

thanks!

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyrious? Yikes! I don't blame you. I think there was a series on shop management software in one of the trade magazines. I'll see if I can dig it up. I think software companies offered a free demo.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,
We are in the process of developing our own software using Excel. I use EstiMate often and like the program but we can make more specific forms in Excel. The sign industry is so diverse that it's hard to find one program that covers all types of sign companies. In addition to estimates you can also create charts to track job progress in Excel. It's helping with efficiency but it's very crude right at the moment as we are learning as we go. We haven't yet found the right sales program yet. Have checked out several, but we will probably create our own.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jean,
My former employer took the route you're embarking on and and, I'll warn you now, it can be a lot more than what you bargained for.

Should you're choose to continue down this route, I would suggest learning and use Microsoft Access or similar database program. It will allow you to do much more than what can be achieved with spreadsheets.

Chris,
I believe the article Glenn mentioned was run in the last few months in either Sign & Digital Graphics or Signs of the Times. I'll see if I can find it too.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestion, Checkers. Do you know anyone who is using this MS Access software for the sign business?

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest price I can say with a straight face.

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have estimate, but never use it. I grab the SignCraft Pricing guide, go to the Pink column, and Bam!

I will do a formal quote in estimate for a professional look.

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Hey Jean,
If I remember correctly, the "GraphixCALC" Bruce B mentioned above is an access based program that grew from a spreadsheet. And, from what little I recall of it, it's a pretty good program for a relatively low price.

As with all estimating/pricing software, it takes a fair amount time to configure it to fit your needs. It took me about 40 hours to get EstiMate and Quickbooks working together to the point where I am comfortable with the pricing and I can track just about everything I need to know about the business. IMHO, without this step, you're just throwing money away.

And I apologize Chris, I must have already recycled that issue of the magazine that had the estimating software comparisons.

Cheers,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

I'm still looking. Some of my magazines have disappeared and I ain't happy about it.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set mine up in Excel

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne,

Have you set up a sheet for printed water?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!