Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Magic Shiney Water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magic Shiney Water
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to paint my next sign with this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3kwkki0bMk&feature=related

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched them do that to a car on West Coast Custom's show a few weeks ago. Seriously cool stuff. Expensive set up.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine has a set up here, and it's been troublesome for him, so many factors, humidity, heat and such, although it looks good, there is some discoloration, Hazing.. he's hoping to get it right soon, if not the system goes back to Florida.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed he wasn't covering his arms, but the overspray didn't really do anything on his skin. I thought that maybe his arms would start to look "Chromie" as well from the overspray.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who wants to build a Cylon?

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take the Grace Park model thank you very much!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Who knows about this stuff?

1. Is the first spraying some material that the 'chrome' sticks to? look like water.

2. Is it really some chromium solution?

3. Is it only for plastic?

4. How well does it hold up? How tough is the stuff?

5. Does it get clear coated with some urethane?

6. and the bonus question...How much does the stuff cost?

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No It's not Chromium as I understand, no it's not just for plastic, it's suppose to be very durable, but how do we know that as it's not been on the market very long, That's all I "Think" I know.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alsa Corp has more info on this stuff. It's actually not paint, it's liquid metalized material and the water washes are what helps the metalized topcoat chemically react with the basecoat and flow out smooth.

The finished product is an actual metal surface, it's just as durable if not more durable than an OEM finish and you can clearcoat over it for extra protection (say, from scratching)

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chromefx/

Check out the video of the "My Little Friend" near the bottom of the page, they're spraying a VW beetle hood and the chemical reaction from "Before" to "After" is insane.

Alsa has some other chrome paints as well, including one system in spray cans which looks pretty amazing for what it is, and while expensive for a rattle can, still cheap enough for experimenting. You can buy it direct through them as well, they have photos and videos online:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

There's also more chrome paint products at http://www.innate.com

[ May 28, 2011, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Mike Pipes ]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preston, this stuff has been out for a few years and with a little bit of tint you can duplicate Gold, Brass, silver and other metals. It can also be used on wood and will not yellow from the sun,,

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!