Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Design Opinions needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Design Opinions needed
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished this but it seems top heavy.

I thought if I added a blossom in the copy area that it would be a little more in balance......but where???

Here's two ideas......any and all suggestionsare welcome!!

Before....

-

Idea #1

-

Idea #2

-

Thanks!!!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fine with it without the blossom...I think the heavy text balances with the top just fine...but if you want my opinion on the dogwood blossom location there is no question in my mind that center bottom is the way to go...careful though...it's going to get a little cramped down there and you cant move your lettering up...again to me it looks good as is.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's top heavy. That's a baby dragon. They don't weigh much.

Seriously, I'm with Rusty. I think it's fine as is. To me the red panel adds the weight you think is missing.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ship it!

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback!!!!!

The blossom was gonna be a freebe so you don't have to twist my arm too hard to just..."Ship It!!"

Thanks a ton everyone!!!

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the others...and besides....the blossom would attract bees

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup loved it as is. Nice work!

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computer generated lettering always looks generic. With the hand designed and rendered 'custom' art work at top, you need to include a more 'hand' style lettering. Do you know any calligraphers or lettering artists who can design your copy for you?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Billy..... a more "fanciful" lettering style would be a better match for the graphic !

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit late for this criticism to be constructive so I am offering this as food for thought on the next one. It is not any of the afore mentioned problems, it is the strong horizontal rythems that are in conflict with the more organic ones at the top.
Joe the craftsmanship is impecible as always. thanks for sharing it.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Century font is totally appropriate and is a nice compliment to the illustration. Very readable and has a clean storybook cover look to it.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a sword going horizontally behind the
ampersand...

Isn't that what was used to slay the dragon.?

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Thanks for all the input and advise.

Billy has pointed out a weekness in my design abilities that I'm well aware of. It's the main reason I do very few commercial signs. This sign and many like it are commissioned from my samples and portfilio which show this simple style and my customers like it. Lucky for me, I guess.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the observations and comments.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Logan:
I think the Century font is totally appropriate and is a nice compliment to the illustration. Very readable and has a clean storybook cover look to it.

I agree 100%, I think Joe's natural instinct to keep the copy clean and to mind the negative space around it was the right move. Why compete with the fantastic carving displayed above. By keeping the type style clear and legible, the viewer can quickly take that in, then look up and study the craftsmanship above it.

And yeah, I agree with the storybook statement that must have been what was triggered in my mind when I saw it too. I probably would have gone over the top on the lettering too, but I might have been wrong. I think this works much better. [Applause]

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe...you're going to have point out to me what "weaknesses in your design abilities" you guys are talking about...I know everyone wants to improve on their work and the only way to improve is to be your worst critic...but I'm in the blind here...I think your design abilities are superb...maybe you are just too humble.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Thanks Rusty and Joe for the encouragement.

I guess it's just a lack of confidence on my part. I'm a very firm beliver in the KISS theory but when I've finished a job, and step back from it, it just seems like there are a dozen things I'd like to "do over".

I suppose it would be helpful if I were able to post a design before I start and get your great feedback but I don't know how.....very limited computer skills here... and I'm sure I don't have the software required.

Thanks again everyone.....I so admire your work.

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!