Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Having the guts to put yourself out there

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having the guts to put yourself out there
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never submitted any of my sign work for publication in all my years of being in the sign industry. Not even sure why I didn't bother. It just never felt like something I wanted to share for some reason. Maybe it was due to being passionate-less about the whole thing for too long, not sure.

My sign work wasn't over the top weird or anything. I've done a few show and tells on Letterville with some typesetting and always got great comeback so I didn't really fear anything by it. I just wasn't interested.

So bring in my new venture on decorating with junk and one may have a lot to fear. Ridicule, others hating what I do, or maybe in a perfect world, it could even be appreciated.

I had no idea where things would go. I just kept quietly doing my thing, then blogging about it. Imagine my surprise when it was being well received.

But there are those other not so soft places to land out there that one may eventually tread. I mean, at some point someone won't like your stuff.

I think once confidence in yourself kicks in, that no longer matters. I truly don't care if someone likes what I do or not. That's not what it's all about for me.

The point is being creative and passionate about something you love to do and hopefully by sharing it, others may also be inspired to do their thing with the same zest.

So when an online community invited me over for a guest appearance, I prepared myself. This place gets honest comments to the point of brutal and in many cases, insulting. Some just lack a way to express in a diplomatic manner.

But no matter. I was ready for the challenge, so I said yes. [Smile]

-

You gotta have guts to be original. And you gotta have guts to be on Apartment Therapy. And the zingers are in full swing, just as I suspected. It's actually quite entertaining. [Smile]

Being different is going to draw attention. Are you ready for yours?

You can catch my intro and link to Apartment Therapy from THIS POST.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of us are capable of so much more. Donna you've taken the ball and are running with it. Sensible, but bold steps. I so enjoy your journey, keep posting and inspiring us.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Well done, Donna!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man Ray did his whole studio in Paris like that. Art and Antiques Magazine ran a 10-page spread about it in the October, 1988 issue. Fabulous pix. You can get that back-issue at:
http://backissues.com/titles/Art-and-Antiques-Magazine/76

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an adventure/journey you're on! Thanks for taking us along with you blog and photos!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You go girl !

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, I'm sure whatever you put your mind to, you'll be a hit

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Donna! I haven't gone to the links but judging by the photo posted here your work is fantastic. I love the way you've chosen your colors.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
enjoyed the pics & comments!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tisha S Sullivan
Visitor
Member # 2999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tisha S Sullivan   Email Tisha S Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna,
This is beautiful! So glad you did this-not only for those of us who appreciate it, but for yourself. Keep it up!

--------------------
Tisha Shaughnessy-Sullivan
Shamrock Sign & Lettering Co.
50 Billings Ave Medford, Ma

SignCo57@aol.com

Posts: 31 | From: Medford, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, I look at it this way. It is an expression of one's creativity and will appeal to some but not all. I think it is the same with music. Some people can't stand jazz or country while others love it. Their is an audience or customer for everything. What is really great is when something has an overwhelming response from a much bigger audience. Then you know you are doing something that strikes a chord with the majority. That is a feeling you won't forget.

Success is when you create something that makes you smile, regardless of whether it is accepted by a large or small audience.

Some people talk of doing things in their lives, others step out and take the chance. That, to me,
is already success.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To HE-double hockey sticks with the looser comments!!!

Ann hit it on the head," YOU ARE A SIGNPAINTER!!!" and the "old" signs have a personal history being from your dad's shop.

I have been an Architectural Digest subscriber for over 15 years and honestly CAN'T STAND half the homes in there with all the rugs, and gilded this and that and cast bodices etc, velvet walls and crappy paint. I also don't like minimalist homes. Do you really think it looks like that on an everyday basis? Um no.

As far as the clutter comments, I would assume these are people with Precious moments or crystal vases displayed or Home Interiors pieces all over! Yep, THAT's some quality stuff....that everyone wants to see...in a RUMMAGE SALE!

Our home is a combination of styles and would never qualify as a cohesive unit as yours is.
Forget the haters, your work is wonderful.

And as far as a Cracker Barrel Store or Anthropoligie, I want to know what's wrong with that? Oh that's right, they attract customers with their "marketing" aka store design. For a couple of billion dollar chains, it appears to be working...old and distressed is not an area that someone has a "corner market" on. Anyone ever heard of "antiques?" They aren't always Louis XV gilded chairs and tables by the way.

Sorry to vent, but you are correct in stating that everyone has their own tastes. Really, if I don't care for it, I try to find at least one piece I like. If I can't find anything, then shut up, unless the worst thing you can say is "cluttered". Then to that overly critical person I would say, "Your eyes aren't straight on your face!"

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!