Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Customer Signed Contract... Then Says He's "Going Shopping for

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Customer Signed Contract... Then Says He's "Going Shopping for
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this under Cost for Sign.... I decided to change the Post Name to see if I would get any other input. Thanks for responding on the other post!

Basically, my customer signed a big $ contract and then emailed he's "going to shop for 3 other bids just to make sure we're giving him the correct price...Sorry". (in his words) I was blown away. He's an old customer and MY Dentist!! I've done so much for him. He still hasn't gotten back to us. I have his signed contract. Not sure what I'm going to do. It's really a weird situation. I'm not getting upset... it's just annoying. Unethical. Discusting...after all I've done for him. Free design, etc... bartered,...etc... gimmies.... NO MORE!! No more... Lesson Learned! He just got done building a huge multimillion dollar building and is out of $ now and is screwing us. It's obscene... OK, I guess I am upstet... LOL!!! [Smile] He always was kind of a PIA, mind changing, etc... maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Thanks!!

From old Post last week:

I was wondering if anyone uses the cost workshop forum on here?...... I don't want to post something in the wrong spot.

After reading about the dentist post, I replied, then I got to wondering what you guys would charge for this project... ballpark. (don't you hate that word....lol)

It's a 30 S/F Double Sided Illum Cabinet with all the Electrical and 6 Individual Digitally Printed Panels. Layout Design. Qty 2: 12 Steel Posts & 2 Man Installation. Customer has electrician.

Just wondering if any of you have any input. Thanks! Still can't believe this old customer (our dentist) after all the work we've done for him... is getting 3 other bids now AFTER he signed our contract. I even included the digital printing cost! ..... It's fine. I think my price is in the ballpark. I guess this is the name of the game. He's probably so tight after all of his building, etc... Hoping I get this job, can use the cashola but if not, I guess my price was too high.

THANKS!! Have a great weekend! Loving the posts. I'm finally on here and having some time to read.

[ May 03, 2011, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Diane Malesky ]

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293
sales@summitsign.com http://www.summitsign.com
Design Is The Difference.

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not the most intelligent guy in this forum, but "to me" (an Italian and card carrying member of the Mafia), a contract(whether it's on a hit or anything else) is a CONTRACT!

See him in court!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your contract is solid, he will end up paying you

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does your termination clause state?

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time he sends you a bill, send it back with an invoice instead of a check...

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way you think Dan! haha

Diane, you might consider shopping around for a new dentist, and thank him for the idea. [Wink]

Now girl ... I'm going to have to ask you something here tho. Did you get a deposit check w/ that signed contract? Have you invested time in drawings? That deposit is yours girl. Please say you got a deposit!!!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane ... I also wanted to mention. One thing I do when I'm feeling the way you are feeling right now is to put my feelings down in a letter to the Dentist. Whether you actually give it to him or not is up to you. Put the human element back in the picture.

I won't get into the details here, but I was disappointed by a long time customer last year, and I did write them my feelings in an email.

Turns out the person who I wrote the letter to resigned about a month later (not b'cuz of my letter). Still, I did feel better that I let them know how their actions impacted me.

I wasn't harsh about it, in fact, with kindness I think I was able to shine a light on things for them ... from my angle. [Smile]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane,
If he shops around and eventually comes to the conclusion that you had the best price, then what? I would tell him that since he decided to terminate the contract that you did some recalculations and there is a new price now and mark it up accordingly.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we ususally get a dep. He's an old customer and our dentist. Luckily I know him and didn't order anything. Honestly, he's been such a PIA customer I'm almost glad he's gone. Yes! new Dentist.

We've had a few of these. The ones who want you to jump and spit nickles at their command. It's been 15 yrs. Enough spittin nickles.

Thank You!! [Smile] Will let you know how it pans out. No word yet. Not worried. Got bigger and better things to focus on luckily.

[Smile] Have a good week.

[ May 19, 2011, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Diane Malesky ]

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Oh and yes!!.... now there will be a cancellation clause... I thought I had all my clauses covered. Obvously not. THANKS!!!!!

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293

stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if he signed a contract he owes you! let the lawyer have a look!!

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we ususally get a dep. He's an old customer and our dentist.

Business is business and friendship is friendship and never the twain shall meet [Smile]

[ May 19, 2011, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my customer had said that to me, I would have Said, "I need to put you on hold and check the calendar... Nope, April First was five weeks ago. This is a joke, right? I do have your signed contract right here on my desk."

I actually had this situation happen to me once. I had the contract and the deposit check. When the client called and said to hold off on depositing the check, I told him it was too late... i had just gotten back from the bank even though I still had the check on the desk.

When he squawked about it, I told I would be more than happy to hold the balance and apply it to something else but, legally, deposits are not required to be returned upon demand... that is why they are called deposits.

When he realized that he wasn't going to get his money back without a fight, he backed off and we went ahead with the project. Believe me, I was just as sweet as can be but made him aware that he needed to live up to the contract.

I wish you the best on this one. i like the suggestion of looking for a new dentist. i would call over and ask to have your dental records because you were taking his advise and pricing his services around to make sure you weren't getting ripped. Thanks for the suggestion, Doctor Loser...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Well,a month later, he's called back and is now interested in having us install the cabinet but wants his logo designer to create the panels.

He still wants to barter services, etc... I just don't know.... I'm still so ****ed. But, we need the $....

Boy,what a sour taste he's left. I may finish this project but I surely won't be using him as my dentist any more. So the bartering won't work. I feel like telling him to go shove it but know better. Maybe I'm just in one of those moods. I know... more bees with honey...

Maybe everyone is just so hard up for $. I'm sure he overexteded himself.

What a prediciment.

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is only a predicament from his end. He is the one that put himself into the jackpot that he is in, not you.

I would tell him that you might have been interested in bartering a portion a portion of the project but since the project is of a lower amount now, you can't justify it... it will be deposit and balance upon completion of work. Then thank him and smile graciously.

Good luck with the new dentist hunt. I know how hard they are to find.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No bartering means he won't be putting his money where your mouth is.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd send a new contract for the work he is now requesting. 50% Down, 50% on delivery, no barter.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Good one, David... [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A deal is a deal is a deal. I usually fire any client who plays 'shopped' on me and never go back. In 22 years of doing this solo, I have lost a few, but gosh, they are no longer in business!

Had one call me 17 years ago and the next day, I drove 75 miles to do the deal. He had already hired someone else to do tacky vinyl letters. I very gently and discreetly apprised his owner and it resulted in an annual $~30k of work ever since.... $450,000 to date and they just emailed me again for some more. Go figure. Now they are some of my best clients and he is 'Down the Road Motors" as the car dogs say.

I had another NCM who pulled 'we changed our minds' when I got there, after I had designed the campaign and sent several revisions. I also knew the owner and went to see him, directly. I have done his store twenty times since and the manager is also DTRM. Hmm. Helps to know Mr. Big.

A deal is a deal is a deal. Gotta be firm, but tactful. ALL CAPS screamers lose.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!