Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cost for Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost for Sign
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone uses the cost workshop forum on here?...... I don't want to post something in the wrong spot.

After reading about the dentist post, I replied, then I got to wondering what you guys would charge for this project... ballpark. (don't you hate that word....lol)

It's a 30 S/F Double Sided Illum Cabinet with all the Electrical and 6 Individual Digitally Printed Panels. Layout Design. Qty 2: 12 Steel Posts & 2 Man Installation. Customer has electrician.

Just wondering if any of you have any input. Thanks! Still can't believe this old customer (our dentist) after all the work we've done for him... is getting 3 other bids now AFTER he signed our contract. It's fine. I think my price is in the ballpark. I guess this is the name of the game. He's probably so tight after all of his building, etc... Hoping I get this job, can use the cashola but if not, I guess my price was too high.

THANKS!! Have a great weekend! Loving the posts. I'm finally on here and having some time to read.

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293
sales@summitsign.com http://www.summitsign.com
Design Is The Difference.

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait...he already signed a contract with you for the sign and now he's going out for competitive bids? Doesn't he understand the concept of a contract?!

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I've seen it happen.

A local restaurant asked us for a bid after they had already ordered their sign from another company. His reasoning was that he wanted to make sure he wasn't being ripped off.

I asked him how he felt about his customers calling on other restaurants to look at the prices on their menus after they had already put in their order with him. Then he got mad when I told him that since it was going to take me a few hours to put the quote together, he needed to pay my up front first to cover my time spent on a job I know I'm not going to get.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeese, Glenn ... all this time in the biz ... and you haven't learned that Restaurant people are in the same category as Real Estate jerks?

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess there's just no honor among thieves.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, Si. But I gotta eat and realtors won't spit in my food.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know, Glennn... His cousin owns the restaurant.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Diane Malesky:
Still can't believe this old customer (our dentist) after all the work we've done for him... is getting 3 other bids now AFTER he signed our contract.

I don't see how that even happened. Your customer calls you and tells you to go ahead and build his sign, and doesn't ask a cost, and now he is watching pennies, and wants a breakdown.

So what happens after he gets a bid that is $100 below your cost, and then demands you shave at least $125 off your price? (With a signed contract, no less)...

I wouldn't be comfortable with the Bass Acwards approach...So what happens after you start construction / purchasing materials, and then he shows up with a bid that is lower, and then wants a discount, or he is going elsewhere...

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly!! THANK GOD I didn't trust his signature. He's annyoed us so much in the past, with his rushes and gazillion and 1 changes, etc... He went ahead an had his new logo designed by someone else... and it really does not pertain to dentistry. I should post it. it's 2 faces and looks exactly like the theater logo (2 faces).. good idea but doesn't work from an advertising point - i.e. I think people are going to think it's a theater or acting lessons are offered....

.....He's just a weird dude...getting weirder by the moment. But now he's annoying and really screwing around with pennies.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Good lesson learned here.

Thanks so much for your comments. It really helps. I know we're not crazy....LOL!!

Have a good weekend! Cant wait to get out and plant some trees & work on the new shop landscape. Dirt and nature solve all problems. (ok, that's my corney gardener talking). LOVE Springtime!

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293

Posts: 271 | From: Venice, Fla | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

He signed a contract. Hopefully, you also got a deposit - A NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT.

And when he decides to make changes, make sure he signs a "Change Order" and that it states that the changes will be added to the cost of the project.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Diane Malesky
Resident

Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Malesky   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Malesky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I would have named this post differently. Maybe I'll repost it and see what other people would do too.

I didn't get a deposit, because he's been my customer for like 8 years and he's our dentist. I've seen his kids be born, etc... It's nuts. I have a 3" thick file on him.

He still hasn't gotten back to me. It's really going to suck if he doesn't use us. I will learn another lesson the hard way. You just can't get personal with customers.... can't take anything personal and never work for free!! Maybe this is just what I needed.

Also, he's actually a PIA to deal with... many changes, etc.... so maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe he can go bug another shop. Maybe he'll see the light... I dunno.... we'll see! Thanks!

--------------------
Summit Signs
231 Victoria Rd
Venice, Fla 34293

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Diane, there is an old Arab proverb: "Live like brothers, but do business like strangers."

Since you didn't get a deposit, odds are he feels like a signed contract means nothing. Unfortunately, its an all to common occurrence. Getting a deposit brings a certain seriousness and finality in the mind of the client.

Several years ago, I had a client who wanted to cancel an order the day after signing the contract and paying the deposit. She canceled because she found someone else to do the job for a few dollars less.

She asked for the deposit to be refunded. I told her "no problem". I would just deduct the cost of the material that had already been ordered.

I thought she was going to explode.

I just kept my mouth shut until she ran out steam and then told her to read the contract. Since the material was already cut-to-order, the supplier wouldn't accept it back. I told her the material was hers and that she could take it to the company that would be doing the job. Naturally, I included all of my time she wasted when I made out the refund check for $5.00.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!