Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Removing REFLECTIVE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Removing REFLECTIVE
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got approached by "the city" today to remove Reflective viny from an entire Ambulance. Do you know how much reflective is on those things??
Anyway, you know that the reflective does not come off easier with a heat gun and will only come off in dime sized pieces. I mentioned "scraping it" but the perrils of gouging the paint all over the place would make me avoid that direction. I mentioned an "eraser tool" that I have not used and "vinyl off" that I have not seen any help from and blemished a car that I used it on. Custoemrs recommend "Easy-Off", holy cow...

Just seeing if anyone has a surefire remedy for such a scope of work...?

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure do.. We worked out an Agreement with the City/County.. They send us Kids that were sentenced to community Service for dumb things. I get a "Supervisory" fee "Which they have to pay"..
The Kids get a Lil Chiseler and a Blow Dryer.

Hopefully Sam or Duncan will chime in.. (I think it was one of them)
They had a nice method that involves Duct Tape and holding your Tongue just right.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't envy you Corey. Of all the aspects of the vinyl sign business the one chore I really hated was removing reflective.

A het gun will help if you get a feel for just how much heat is corect.

I always used a "honed" single edge rasor blade in a holder. I honed it by dragging it backward on a smooth steel surface to round off the under-side and at the corners. That usually eliminates the possibility of gouges.

Never heard of Easy-Off being used on reflective, but used it all the time to remove lettering enamel from factory finishes.

Best advice is pick a price per hour that fits with your tolerance for frustration and price the job by the hour, not a fixed price. If they don't like that tell them to do it themselves or find someone else. (I guarantee that if they try themselves they'll be beck to you after an hjour begging you to do it on your terms)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how long it has been on there, but I was surprised at a client who put their vehicle through one of those new high pressure car wash, and half the graphics went with it.

Probably lift one corner so the water can be "forced" underneath the graphics. Once started it "should" keep lifting.

Worth a try - but as others have said - I don't envy you. Reflective sux.

Charge by the hour.

Cheers - Gregg

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pressure washer. Every time

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have removed a TON of reflective with this tool right here:

-

Grind off the corners of the blade like this:
 -

Take fine grit sand paper and dull the blade. Make sure the blade doesn't have any nicks it. Make sure the tile scraper doesn't have any surfaces that can scratch easily. For example, I ground down the head of the screw that holds the blade.

I think it was about 5 years ago that I got the suggestion to use a scraper for removing heavy duty reflective in the dead of winter in Utah. We had huge Chevron logos that needed to come off of some fuel tanks and trucks at an airfield. Using heat wasn't an option. I made the scraper suggestion to my boss and he agreed to try it. We had those logos off in no time. In the cold weather the reflective flew off the surface like potato chips. We got done so fast with that project, my boss was given another set of tanks and trucks to do in another town.

From that point I was a believer and I started using the scraper on all kinds of vinyl. The scraper skims off the vinyl and leaves a thin layer of adhesive. I spray that with Rapid Remover and scrape it off with a squeegee.

Just before I left that job we replaced the logos on a small fleet of emergency vehicles in a fire station. The trusty scraper was there.

I have posted this suggestion several times over the years, and I don't know if anyone has ever given any feedback on it. I'm guessing people think it's crazy and never try it. Yes, if someone is careless they could do some serious damage to a paint job. But, I was very careful and never had any problems that would make me afraid to use it. I do not fear the reflective. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, we have removed a lot of vinyl over the years. We pretty much have been scraping it off with a tool similar to yours. The rounded razor corners are a must. One other step we take is to spray the area with window cleaner before we start, it makes the blade slide right over the paint and it never digs in. I gues it acts like shaving cream now that I'm thinking of it.
I used to really hate removing vinyl but since we've been using the razor and the Spay-Away window cleaner it's almost bearable.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Pinkse
Resident

Member # 1204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Pinkse   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pinkse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have stripped at least 2 ambulance per year for the last 10 years starting using heatlamps and dull razor blades and the last 4 years using a combination of the MBX Vinyl Zapper and blades. We would never go back to stickly the razor blades. We take about 4 hours with 3 people to completely strip a ambulance with 10 year old reflective. The MBX is used for the main stripes while the other 2 people use the razors to remove logos and numbers. They then follow up cleaning up any bits of glue and the dust created from the MBX. Uses about 2 wheels per ambulnce. Hate the job but it leads to new stripe jobs on 2 new ambulances every year.

--------------------
Mark Pinkse
Laird Signs
Iron Bridge ON. Canada

Posts: 52 | From: Iron Bridge, ON Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Winkler
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I think it is time for me to tell the trick in how it is done without sharp tools that can scratch the laquer and a lot of sweat and maybe even tears.
There are solvents on the market based on citrus fruits. The peel of the citrus is distilled and a powerfull GREEN solvent is made.
Rip the reflective foil of and withness in horor how the complete glue remains on the laquer.
Use paper towels and smear the citrus (grease) remover stuff on and see how it is completely absorbed within 10 seconds. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times untill the glue stays wet of the remover. Then take a hard palstic squeezy (that will certainly NOT scratch the laquer) and remove the glue easily while holding a paper towel underneath to catch the snotty glue.
When 90% of the glue is removed, repeat the process and use your own experience to determine what is the quickest way to remove the remaining 10% of the snotty glue.
Works great!!!!!!
After this wash the surface with a little bit of water or glass cleaner and wipe clean with paper towel. An ambulance will take me 30 minutes.

Erik Winkler

[ April 08, 2011, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Erik Winkler ]

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Moroney
Resident

Member # 9498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Moroney   Email Bob Moroney       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat gun or a $50 wallpaper steamer, plastic razor blades and Rapid Remove. Getting to the glue with the correct temprature is the key. Vinyl zapper if all else fails. Nothing is fast and great care is important to keep from nicking the paint.

--------------------
Bob Moroney
The Sign Guy
310 Club Valley Drive
Falmouth, MA 02536
508-259-6297

Posts: 216 | From: Falmouth, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of good treatments mentioned above. Each new tip or product you try keep them all in mind because depending on the beast you are working on they all work.

It is never the same so I just start my process of what one works today.

I am very partial to my scraper and yes it takes some convincing to run something like this across someones vehicle but man once you get it down it sure does the job.

But no matter what step you take you just need to have patients until done.

I never quote removal of vinyl. I give an hourly price and say when it's done it's done.

-

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been leaning with Dave, Russ and Sam on this one. I know the "integrity" of my scraper "same one as Russ and Sam pictured". This is no half hour job. 90% of the ambulance is covered. 2' x 10' bands and 2' x 8' lettering above the bands on both sides, and then there's the back and front and doors as well. Even with the scraper, taking it slow, I would guestimate this job at 20 hours, honestly but, will take Sams approach at just letting them know my estimate and our shop rate.

Thanks all.

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!