Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel vs. Illustrator - your preference? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Corel vs. Illustrator - your preference?
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I take the plunge into the unknown, thought I'd ask.

I noticed on another thread that several folks that moved to Illustrator AFTER using Corel still preferred Corel.

May I ask why? What is Illustrator lacking in your opinion?

Who DOES like Illustrator over Corel? And why?

I've worked with illustrator many years ago and found it very comparable at the time. No idea what's up these days.

I'd love to hear opinions from those that have worked with both. Thanks!

[ March 30, 2011, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna ... timely thread. haha Thanks, I too will be keeping tabs on answers here. [Smile]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instigator..... [Razz]
I've used both, but I started on Corel so maybe that makes me biased. I purchased CS2 - I liked Photoshop slightly better than Corel Photo-Paint, but never managed to like Illustrator better than Corel Draw. Now I use Elements 8 and Corel Draw for everything so that was a pricey attempt at "bettering" myself. [Wink]
One thing I did notice is that Adobe is not only more expensive but it seemed to use a lot more computer resources. I need to be more patient I guess. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago when I first started with a computer I used Corel (Version 8 as I remember) It worked and as a beginner I struggled. But I got used to it.I was using the photo editing side of the program to draw in for the most part and never did get a handle on drawing with vectors. I was also using Painter before it became part of Corel.

Painter was a cool program but somewhat clunky.

I switched to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop in version their version 8, went on to CS and now up to CS3. When I bought the MultiCam 5 years ago I was forced to learn the Illustrator side of things. I like Illustrator and PhotoShop and will never run out of program for it has ten times what I will ever use. I've never had an issue with the programs and they have always done what I needed without problems.

Now, especially since I have gone to Mac for my workstations I would never go back.

It is largely a matter of preference in my opinion and what you are used to... sort of like the Mac - Windows thing. And you know what side of the fence I am on in that debate - once again as a matter of personal preference for the most part.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to create multiple page documents to scale with architectural dimension strings. Corel works well for this. I think there's a plug-in for Illustrator called Cad Tools that will let you do this in Illy. We get a lot of Illustrator files from clients so I need Illustrator to open them, convert fonts to outlines, edit, etc. I then import the Illy files into Corel.

Corel is best if you're on a budget. One way to get a good deal on AdobeCS is to take a class at a community college and buy it at the student discount.

[ March 30, 2011, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Ficucell
Visitor
Member # 1460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ficucell   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Ficucell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok another turn to this question.
I use signlab and I'm just learning Illustrator, is there a way I can cut from Ill.?

--------------------
Bob Ficucell
Glass Arts
Woodland Hills,Ca

Posts: 220 | From: Woodland Hills | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My use of Illustrator was pretty limited (only CS), but I always liked the way Corel handled nodes and it's node editor much better than the way Illustrator did it. I use that feature alot, so for me it was a big deal, but not everyone even uses it. It did take me less time to learn Illustrator than Corel, but that could just be because I already had an understanding of how these types of programs work from using Corel. Corel does have alot of functions, and to a first timer I could see where it would be a little overwhelming, but in the end those functions are all there to make things easier. Both programs are getting packed with more functions that need to be learned as they get new updates & versions. The learning curve for a first time user will be pretty great.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really seen Corel used much, except by my old boss. He initially wanted me to learn it, but I could out-work him in Illustrator with my eyes closed and both hands tied behind my back... wearing mittens. So, I got to keep my tool of choice: Illustrator. It would be interesting to watch an expert work with Corel to really see what the tools are capable of.

As far as working with Illustrator is concerned, there are plenty of problems with it. Each upgrade brings a host of new problems too. The drawing tools are excellent, if you know how to use them (most people don't), but it puzzles me why Adobe has to keep ruining things that used to work great. Type on a path used to work effortlessly. Now it's painfully difficult. Selecting typefaces used to be so easy and now the type menu is buggy and nearly useless. I hate upgrading.

Adobe is very slow to adopt useful features but they love adding features that nobody needs. Instead, I would love to see some of the node editing features from FontLab added. Strangely enough, those features have been around since before Illustrator even existed. They are amazing.

With regards to crashing or losing files from instability, I have never had that problem with Illustrator. I have used it on all kinds of machines and on different platforms. It just doesn't happen to me. I can't remember the last time I had a corrupted illustrator file from my own machine.

As companies grow they get arrogant. Just for the record, two of my least favorite companies are Adobe and Apple.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Corel since they came out with the version for cave drawings. I also have Illy versions 7, 10 and CS2. I can make Corel sing and dance but everything is an effort in Illustrator. When I visited Chip Carter's shop a few years ago, one of his designers told me Illustrator was much more user friendly and easier to learn than Corel. Of course, I had the opposite opinion. I think it's what you become used to. One of these days, I'll sign up with Linda.com again and start taking Illustrator tutorials. I like some of the features of the current Photoshop and since I do quite a bit of photo work, I might spring for CS5 if I ever have a few hundred disposable dollars.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... as a guy who used Corel extensively for years and now have used Illustrator for about 13 years;

* I like Illustrator FAR better than Coreldraw for the way you 'draw' vectors.... much nicer in my opinion.
* CorelDraw allows you to automatically save 'backup' copies of your file as you save it... so if a file becomes corrupt, your last auto-saved backup file likely isn't, and will save your bacon. Illustrator has no such feature that I'm aware of.... if your file goes bad (which happens frequently enough to be aggrivating) you're hosed.
* CorelDraw has FAR better type and text functionality.... Illustrator lags way behind in this category.
* CorelDraw has very easy to use common function buttons - while Illustrator, like the Mac, has you making multi-finger contortions to enact a function via keyboard shortcuts. Sucks at times.
* CorelDraw has much more robust path editing tools - arguably. The 'trim' feature works far nicer than Illustrator... and doesn't create whacked-up, negative path shapes when doing so.
* Blend feature in both Corel and Illustrator suck.
* Customizable interface is far superior in CorelDraw.
* Corel allows you to view the word you type in whatever font you pick simply by toggling through the fonts - the word changes to each font style as you toggle through. Illustrator sucks from this standpoint...won't do it.
* Some of the simplest features are standard in CorelDraw, but require separately purchased plugin$ for illustrator - such as corner rounding that REALLY work, scaling tools, etc.

Having said all this, you would think I'd be using CorelDraw every day - but I prefer Illustrator (grudgingly) because I LOVE the way the pen tool works and draws...and I draw a LOT with it.

I'm hoping that someday they will merge and have the best of all features at our fingertips - probably a pipe dream.

But, for what you're doing Donna - I'd really recommend CorelDraw.... far more bang for the buck, and once you get used to Corel's odd way of drawing vectors... you'll find it very intuitive...

Illustrator and Photoshop are kind of like a hand-in-glove dynamic duo....though.

[ March 30, 2011, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably all about preference. Corel is a bit more intuitive, the tools allowing for much more instinctual creativity (my opinion only!).

bottom line : i think it's going to boil down to preference ... my font-design cohort uses both equally well and just likes the natural feel of corel.

as for paint vs "shop", i could probably see why a person would use adobe products. but i'm not good in either one so I can't say.

i did, however, read a how-to book on lettering comics where all the examples were shown using illustrator. I then duplicated every effect shown using corel --- in just about every instance, corel could do the same thing with the same ease. in a few instances it seemed the advantage might belong to illustrator.

chances are, both vector programs will do pretty much what the other does, and having two of them around keeps them both on their competitive toes.

the real winner here? Us!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with Corel at a pretty young age. I think the first one I remember using was Ver. 4. Let's see that came out in 93... I would have been 10, of course then I wasn't really designing signs, mainly just drawing dinosaurs. LOL. Corel has been the software of choice at our shop since then. When it was time for me to go to college, I got a job to pay for that education at a different sign shop close to school. They all used Illy on macs and I was forced to adapt. I had a hard time switching over. Things that came naturally to me in Corel, I had to relearn in Illustrator. They hired me to do production work, so I was mainly setting up designs that were already done so that they could be plotted. The design work I did do, was simple banners, and small signs. Nothing complicated.

As time went on I got pretty good at doing the simple stuff in Illustrator, But struggled doing anything beyond that. Things that took me a few simple steps in Corel, took me quite some time to first figure out how I could do that same thing, then how I could retain that information and do it quickly. I constantly felt like I was tricking Illustrator into doing what I wanted it to. At that time I couldn't figure out how to simply create a contour line. I had to create a thick outline/path, covert it to an object, then in some cases I had to use some path finder tools to get the desired effect. In Corel I used the contour tool. If I wanted to create a gradient transparency in Adobe I had to follow this long set of steps involving a mask or something, In Corel I used the interactive transparency tool and in few clicks and drags, had the desired effects. I didn't like how illustrator handled nodes, I didn't like how I couldn't have multiple page documents or that I couldn't design larger projects to scale. Now Adobe may have changed some of those things, but at the time, I had trouble accomplishing those things in Illustrator.

At my apartment I still had Corel Draw and was practicing my design work on that. I was trying to prove to that company that I could be a designer. They finally heard me out and gave me a shot. I begged for a system with Corel and they hooked me up, by that time we also had flexi that came with our printer cutter combo, and I had the best luck out of all of us using that. So at that time I was able to really get a good feeling of how the three different software choices worked. I still preferred Corel, and I am convinced it's because that was what I started with.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out with Freehand back when it was owned by Altsys. When I discovered the pen tool in Illustrator, I switched and never looked back. With the exception of FontLab I haven't seen another software package that can create vectors better than Illustrator. Because I spend most of my time with the pen tool, Illustrator is still very valuable.

But, just about everything else about it has turned to crap. I hate the way they handle palettes, gradients, type on curves, font selection, snap to point, document setup, etc. Every time they upgrade, I find Adobe has ruined another perfectly beautiful feature.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh... and another thing that reading Joe's report reminds me of.....

In Illustrator, if you want to create a simple 'contour' around an object, you have to physically type in a number... if that contour setting was too thick, you have to type in a different number, etc till it looks right... AND you have to 'type' in a minus sign if you want it to be an inside outline....way too many steps and a real time waster...

In CorelDraw... you drag out an outline path from your object with your contour tool.. then you can click the up arrow or down arrow and watch the contour change in small increments till it's the way you want it.... very fast, very intuitive, and very visual. You can also type it in if you really want a specific distance.... but you just need to click one of three buttons to determine whether it's an outside, centerline, or inside contour.... far easier than typing, because when you type, you have to drop your mouse/Wacom pen to type.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

What Russ said is absolutely true.... much less wordy than my diatribe.

If Illustrator changed the functionality of the 'pen' vector drawing tool... i'd have to give it the heave-ho.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used both. It is tough to be adept at both of them. I am a big Illustrator guy, (CS5) along with Gerber Omega.

I tried Corel, but was unable to grasp it in my little world [I Don t Know] The people who use it are really good at it. As has been determined here over and over again, it depends on your learning curve tolerance, previous training, and old fashioned God given abilities. [Smile]

In a nutshell, do what you want to. This is one area where you can't be wrong, win/win. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel does just about any thing and every thing. Al you need is within the program.

Illy needs plug ins. All the time plug ins. They are expensive at that.

IE:

Illy needs Better handles which is over 100 bux.
Corel already does it.

Illy needs extreme paths at another 100 bux..
Corel already does it.

Illy needs a hidden node plug in.
Corel already has it.

Illy tutors often skip steps. Projects cannot be duplicated because of those missed steps.

Corel tutors give step by step with nothing missing.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All valid points above- I think for me it is the simple task of just selecting an object: they work completely different!

Corel- take your selection tool (arrow) and simply select whatever the heck you want to- if it is a grouped object, hold the CTRL button and click on whatever object! simple, easy, no-brainer. hold the mouse down and drag a box around objects, if the box covers the entire object, it is selected

Illy- the black arrow selects everything, EVERYTHING! if you try to drag a selection box- if the box comes anywhere near part of an object, it selects everything it touches.
the white arrow only selects bits and pieces of objects, if you are lucky- if not, it only selects random nodes- I guess it is supposed to be the node editing selection tool.

Node diting is a breeze in Corel, if you have some nodes that need to be deleted- just select them and delete- same with adding nodes.
Illy- you can't DELETE nodes, it breaks the object apart- you have to SUBTRACT nodes in a few extra steps- still haven't found an easy way to add nodes.

Welding, trimming, combining..etc. is simple in CorelDRAW- a nightmare in Illy.

Color selection (Fills, Outlines) is a breeze with Draw using right and left mouse- a bunch of frustrating steps in Illy

FWIW-- I still use both everyday, but not because I want to.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, I'm gonna let you jump first, and then see what happens. haha Yup, cluck cluck, ... Im a big chicken.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you decide on Illustrator, I'd go with the Mac version. I feel Russ' pain especially with fonts on the Windows version. The Mac version is much smoother using fonts and tool palettes.

If you go with Corel, you'll have to buy the Windows version which will run great on your Mac through Boot Camp or Parallels. Version 11 was their last failed attempt at a Mac version.

Curtis, Extreme Path is up to $139, but Better Handles is only $39 for commercial license.

[ March 30, 2011, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both Corel X5 and Illustrator CS5. I do a lot of work for agencies and other sign shops so having both became a necessity.

I started out with Corel 1.1 at the very beginning. My foray into Illustrator began with version 8.

Personally, I prefer working in Corel simply because its what I'm used to. Until Corel X5 came out, Illustrator was the better choice when dealing with color printing. Illustrator is better as working in layers than Corel, but I think this has more to do with the fact that I use Photoshop so much. I find Corel's interface for layers to be rather annoying.

That said, I still prefer to work in Corel.

My assistant trained on Illustrator and had never heard of Corel until she came to work for us. At first she did everything in Illustrator and only used Corel when she had to. Six months later she's doing everything in Corel and decided she likes it better than Illustrator.

Asked why the change, she told me that she found doing the work in Corel was easier to do than in Illustrator.

She is now running Corel X5 on her Macbook via Parallels & Windows7.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Clanton:
EVERYTHING! if you try to drag a selection box- if the box comes anywhere near part of an object, it selects everything it touches.

Hey Michael, in a few cases I sometimes want corel to do this too. Did you know if you hold down the alt key as you drag a box, Corel will do this same thing. I remember back in my drafting days, Autocad would select everything with in the box if you drag a selection box up and to to left, but if you drag a box down and to the right it selected everything the box touched. I used to always like that.

Speaking of autocad it had a feature called Osnap, that Corel later added called "snap to objects" (Alt+Z). I love that tool. it snaps objects and your cursor to different parts of a shape, (for example: center, midpoints, nodes, quadrants, etc.) It allows you to get a lot more precise with your work. The version of illustrator I use to work with didn't have this. I think it might now.

Another tool I love in Corel is the Powerclip tool. I use that all the time along with the interactive transparency tool.

I actually really like the tool sets Corel has for drawing vector shapes. I do vector illustrations using the freehand tool.

And I also like that Corel has some nice photoshoppy-like tools built in, so you can easily use bitmaps along with vector work without having to switch back and forth between different programs. Corel does have photopaint, but I find myself not needing to use it very often, unless I need to use the clone tool or the touch up brush, because Draw itself has so many photo editing tools already.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to add another vote for coreldraw here,..been using it since version 1.1 way back in 1990,..it does what I want it to and has never left me hanging save when my hardware was not up to the task. Most of what I have learned about hardware that I use in tech school is due to upgrades of corel and having to rebuild my machines over the years to be able to use all of corel's features. It has served me well in more ways than I can count.

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Yay, another Corel/Illy debate... Started on Corel 3 because that is what they used, when I worked my way up the design chain, it switched to Illustrator, and think Corel is a very capable program. I use both depending on the client. i prefer Illustrator.

Before CadTools, designing in scale was pretty worthless in Illustrator. CadTools changed all that,

The biggest reason I prefer illy is layers and CadTools...

A lot of my drawings have multiple scales, so with CadTools and layers, you can assign a scale to that layer. Corel layers suck. With Illy you can assign edge colors and name each one.

With CadTracker, you can get perimeter, sign area. Adding my template section drawing is easy with the Symbols window so no digging for a template file.

I think working with type is easier on Illy...

I also prefer Illys pathfinder tools...

With extreme path, that adds a lot to my illustration workflow.

About the extra clicks, once you get used to keyboard shortcuts, those extra movements are usually non-existent.

One thing that irks me is working with pages in Illustrator. i mostly design sign families so I need to design everything on one page, but I would like the choice of multiple pages similar to Corel. Illy does do multiple pages, but it can't do a master page. I do have multi-page by HotDoor, and it works great, but I can't give my clients the source files because they don't use it, and the files are layered one on top of another... I don't care too much about page size, but once in a while, I will get a requests for a full size file beyond the page size. I also wished Illy had a type preview.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
l started using Illustrator back in the early 90's when I went back to college to earn a degree in Industrial Design. At the same time we were using Corel at the sign shop where I worked. I also had to learn QuarkXPress for one of my Graphic Design classes.

I ended up using Illustrator more and use it for most everything today. I do have Corel version 10 loaded on my computer but haven't put forth the effort to learn it. Because they no longer develop for the Mac....I don't see much sense in learning something I can't run on my machine. Currently, I don't have Windows loaded on my iMac and only will If I purchase a student copy of Solidworks....talk about a learning curve!

I use CS5 at work and have CS2 at home. I have to agree with Russ that Adobe has a tendency to take away features that work really well when they upgrade....step and repeat used to be very simple. I actually prefer the older version at home but we need to stay current at work.

I also use Photoshop which works together well with Illustrator. I do like the gradient mesh feature in Illustrator and have no idea how that works in Corel.

I have seen many fine pieces of work here in Letterville created with both software packages. Sounds like it goes back to what you are most comfortable using. Having just looked into purchasing a new plotter, I was happy to see that both Graphtec and Roland work well with Illustrator.

At work we just purchased a new MultiCAM plasma cutter and the software to drive it recognizes Illustrator 10 files and cuts them without a problem. AutoCAD files (DXF) not so much.

You'll have to forgive my editing, I'm trying to compose this on an iPad and I am just figuring out the multi-touch gestures. Good times, isn't technology grand.

[ March 31, 2011, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give a different take on the subject.
I started with Corel 2 (in was it 4 floppy discs?) with a struggle, then Illy 5, then Corel 7, and stepped back & forth, not really liking either, and then fell into Flexi 5 and loved it.

Fast forward a bit, and I got to Illy 9 and Corel 11 then X3-and found Corel my preference by far, & did not like Illy, but used it to convert files when I had to.

Sidetrack a bit now. Photoshop-always loved it, even version 5 (shudder!). Started using MS Publisher for newsletters & liked it at the time (version 2, then 95), but progressed to Pagemaker 5 & then 6, and liked it more, once you worked out how it worked.

Jump forward, and Pagemaker is no longer supported, but Indesign is, and I had to learn that for a few projects, including a sizeable book. Suddenly, Illustrator isn't so awkward any more- so much of Indesign's toolboxes & sequences are exactly like Illy's that Illy isn't the awkward thing I used to find it to be. Indesign helped me to learn to be a lot better at Illy. I'm still not what I would ever call 'good' at it-just barely tolerable.

However, you quickly get out of touch with any or all of them if you leave them for a while & don;t use them.

However I do NOT like Photopaint at all!

If I need vectors for the CNC router, I tend to create them in Corel (X3) & export them for Enroute,(e.g. type on a path or arc) (except where it's easier to just do them in Enroute).

It's all a matter of necessity & familiarisation, I guess, but I wouldn't have improved with Illy if it had not been for Indesign helping or forcing me to.

Edited to add that the change from PM 7 to Indes CS2 was pretty hefty. It required a fair bit ( a lot) of relearning stuff, but it was miles better after you get rid of those old habits which tend to die hard!

[ March 31, 2011, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for illustrator here. I'm running CS5 illy. Paid $200 on ebay for student version and it does everyhting I need it to. I think it's whatever you are used to using. I love illy and one word of advice FORGET THE HELP FILES in it, they are about as useless as Microsoft help

If I get stuck on something I will google it and let another at home guy teach me how to. It rocks I have played with corel not interested on learning another proggy

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe might be a better solution for you Donna because of the direction you are heading with your blog and book. My daughter Jess told me she really likes InDesign, I know nothing about it though.

While a lot of people get the student version of Adobe, I'd be concerned about using it commercially. Is it possible to upgrade from a student version to a non student one?

Corel Draw Premium X5 adds video studio and website creator to their package at $700. Adobe Design Standard is $1300.

Good luck, it won't be an easy decision. Whichever one you make, I know you will love it, because you are one of those people who sees the good in things. [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We bought Illustrator so we could open those files that Corel baulked at. It has an enormous learning curve imo compared to Coreldraw, and I find it incredibly frustrating.

I've also noticed that every Illustrator file we get from a "designer" seems to be a mass of clipping paths, overlapping objects, hidden layers, etc. Everything but the kitchen sink. Editing these files is a nightmare, especially regarding Michael Clanton's comment about the selection tools.

Illustrator just seems so clunky to me - but I do realize it's probably just what one is used to.

An observation - if you use Signlab, Coreldraw is much more like that in "feel" compared to Illustrator.

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Wow.... since I work mostly in Illustrator (99.8% of the time) I kinda forgot about some of the reasons I liked Corel so much.

I just had to use Corel X5 to do some 'taper' vector strokes.... since Illustrator doesn't appear to have any easy way to do it.... and I gotta tell you... Corel's solution was SO EASY, and such a pleasure to work with, that I question 'why' I'm using Illustrator at all.

I've figured out the 'pen' tool in Corel... and now that I understand how it works, it's just great.

The one thing I do like about Illy is the way that you can 'select' objects by simply 'marquee' dragging across them. I still believe Illy has it all over Corel for selecting objects.

Selecting 'nodes' is another story though... Illustrator SUCKS in that department. I cannot tell you how many thousands of times I've not been dead on a node with the selection tool... and not been able to move a node without trying to zero in on the node 5 different times. Illy has ALWAYS been very quirky that way.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

quote:
While a lot of people get the student version of Adobe, I'd be concerned about using it commercially. Is it possible to upgrade from a student version to a non student one?
No, it's not possible to upgrade, however the student version is usually about the same price as an upgrade anyway. Technically speaking, you are required by the licensing agreement to actually BE a student, and are not allowed to use it for commercial applications.

Not that it's a justification for going that route, but at least the companies get 'paid' a healthy sum verses the people that take it even further and seek out free/black-market cracked versions on the internet.

I do feel good about owning legitimate versions of both Corel and Adobe products...easier for me to sleep at night.

But, this kinda veers off the subject.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Todd, I could be mistaken, but I think mine started out as a student version that I later upgraded to a commercial version.

Russ

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Ok... I stand corrected. That's good to know. :-)

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

According to Adobe Sales you can not upgrade a student version, you have to buy the full package. If you remain a student you can buy the newest version as a student again. I was curious about this so I phoned this morning. Those are the rules in Canada anyhow.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it has a lot to do with what you learned on...for me that was Gerber, so I still prefer Gerber for sign design. I use Corel for my printing needs. I had Adobe also for awhile but never got used to it.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After alot of pondering, I've decided to start with an upgraded Corel for my work. Later when budget can handle it, also purchase Illustrator for mac requirements.

I really think I need both. But how happy I am with Corel and how it works on parallels will determine if I also move onto Illustrator. I'm hoping I won't have to but time will tell.

Thanks so much, all! I hope this info was helpful to others as well. Sure opened my eyes!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Donna,

Good luck with your upgrades. I think Kelly made really good point above. I follow your blog and your posts over on Facebook and would also recommend Indesign and illustrator for your publishing efforts.

I'd say if your focus is going to stay in the sign making field....Corel will probably serve you well. If you start to move "further" into the publishing side of things, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Indesign would be divine.

C'mon grab a student version of CS3 or later and dive in....after all, you will be a student right! Then after your first couple of books are published, you'll be up to speed!

And Illustrator isn't that bad to learn.....there are a lot more difficult software packages out there.

BTW - are you using Aperture for photos yet.....it is really cool!

Take care and best of luck!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Dale, count on it. I'm not far behind all of your ideas. Had my eye on indesign too. [Smile]

I've heard Aperture is better than photoshop! No, I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the reminder. I need more to learn... heh!

For now, I need corel for my biz. We'll see how that works out on the mac. If a no go, I'll be getting illustrator sooner than later.

Paying work simply comes first... hurts to act like an adult at times. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Illy that well at all but my biggest beef with Corel (I have X3) is color management. No matter what I do I can never get the colors on screen to match my digital printing. When I have everything looking right on screen and export to a PDF the colors are way off. I have tried everything I can think of including PMS guides of varying types, Monacao Easy Color, you name it. If anyone has a solution for this I am all ears.

I still don't know many of the Corel functions but there are tons of tutorials online that always seem to help.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weston Pulley
Visitor
Member # 10330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weston Pulley   Email Weston Pulley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, I had the same issue with X4. Here is how I solved it (not sure about X3).

When converting to PDF:

Compatibility set to PDF/A-1b
Output all objects as RGB
No ICC profile
PDF Preset: Custom (current settings not saved)

--------------------
Weston Pulley
WP Signs Plus
Nova Scotia

Posts: 44 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!