Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Project Management systems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Project Management systems
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone use anything like a timeline chart PERT etc? I am intent on getting a handle on this area of my business. Again I am slammed and do not want to repeat losing money by poor management. If you use anything to track projects and keep an overveiw would you please share it or some direction that works for you. Thank you!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this economy, my project management system is: "Oh goody! Here's a job to do!" I should have bought the snowplow concession for the Super Bowl.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5114 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that David. Do you use a system when your busy?

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,
We are trying to do the same thing in our shop. We are applying some basic Excel techniques for scheduling and bidding. We haven't gotten very far with it yet. We were thinking of hiring an IT person to help with this. I'd be interested in finding a good system for sign shop management.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1293 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL well if you, an artist brain, can wrap your head around logical business tactics and stick with them I send you all the power, frankly I don't think I am wired that way. And to tell you the truth, I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people on here aren't either. The ones that would use that type of system are the ones that are lucky enough to have someone else in their business who are wired in a completely different way than we are. Its unfortunate, but just a left brain right brain thing I think. When we develop the artistic side we tend to have a pitcher's arm. The other side just doesn't develop as well. We can't help it. [Smile]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bruce, this is a shot of our Schedule Board, as you can see it's pretty simple, the yellow copies are orders that are still in the works, waiting on approval or simply being designed. The white copies is work that is not yet started. We also have a POS or point of sale software in our Computer in our reception area. They tell me that "Estimate" is good software, and their a vendor here as well. Hope this helps a bit.

- [/IMG]

[ February 16, 2011, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks everyone! Well, I hear ya Deri, I really do. This is giving me some good ideas. I tend to lose sight of the overview with logistics and I do not assume I will change my weaker apptitudes but I can be aware of them and implement systems to support a counter to that weakness and thats what I'm trying to achieve with this. That's all.
I am at a place of being more willing in this area and exhausted with being at the effect of it.
Neil, I really like seeing the photo thats very helpful!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!