Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Do you "tag" your signs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you "tag" your signs?
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been having something of a debate here about whether or not to put our name somewhere on the signs we produce.

On the really nice stuff (carved, sandblasted), I want to put a small exterior grade brass tag on the signs somewhere inconspicuous. On stuff like mags and coro, just a small name and phone number in a lower corner.

I've never really liked doing this kind of stuff but since things are becoming more competitive, I feel like its become a necessity for marketing purposes.

What are your thoughts?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still do not "tag" my signs. I find it tacky. People pay me to put their name on things, so I find it tacky to just put my own on it.

When you hire a contractor to redo your kitchen, does he "brand" his name into the cabinets? lol

Just my own perspective. [Smile]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

When I see a greats sign done by another sign artist, I will always look closely to see who did it. I am sometimes disappointed when it is not signed, and I am left without a name.
I put my logo on my cnc signs, but I make it small and try to place it where it can be seen, but not overly obvious. I will grab one of the colours of the sign to make it fit in as well.

-

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way back about a dozen years ago, I asked the same question. Monte Jumper provided a reply that reflected his humour and common sense. " I never tag those signs that I don't permit, or install" was his sage reply....or words close to that effect.

Why make it any easier for the permit inspectors to give you grief, if the customer opts to handle their own installations ?

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you purchase a new truck does the company sign it? Does the dealer sign it? I remember someone on the board say that years ago and decided to start doing it. On the inexpensive or lousy cousin layout I don't do it but if I get something fun, exiting and original I sure do.

Sandy looks like he does a nice job of putting it on without being tacky too!

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok now don't get your panties in a wad now, I did state it is just my perspective not LAW. [Roll Eyes] I did't mean to offend ANYONE who does sign their work

If you decide to sign your work then so be it, I don't. I have seen many a great signs, signed and not signed.

Hey Joey open a window and clear the smoke [Smile] [Cool]

[ January 27, 2011, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't sign my stuff... because I know most of the people who I do work for, and they'll refer me if they get the chance.... but I have thought about it on occasion for the onlooker that happens to see something he/she likes in passing. I'm not sure it will generate 'more' jobs...??

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an example of a coroplast sign that was just recently ordered....

-

I put the name and number in the lower right corner.

I do a lot of this type of work (very profitably I might add) and I think its time to start marking our work whenever possible but discretely.

One of the things that got me thinking about this was something I saw at a jobsite not long ago. The foreman had ordered some magnetic signs from another company. About 50 sets. On every one of them was the manufacturer's name, very small, in the corner. This company had been ordering them from us at one time. But the person who had been ordering them from us was no longer there. This foreman just looked around placed the order with the first company he found. He liked the idea of the name and number of the company imprinted on the mags so he wouldn't have to try to remember who did them for the next order.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I thought this was a no brainer, Sign your Work! I've had people ask me to put my name on there, No Kidding! Even if it's on the back side, you never know who will see it. Ants or Uncles.lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Glenn - I think how you've included it is perfect - out of the way, doesn't affect the design, yet it's there for quick reference if someone needs additional work, but doesn't have your card or name handy.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tagged several of my sandblasted/dimensional signs with little brass plates. Wish I had done all of them. It shows that you take pride in your workmanship.

[ January 27, 2011, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the walls I paint,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do most of the time. It's amazing how many calls I've gotten down through the years from people saying they got my number off an old sign. Now I just put my web address on it to attract customers to go the

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Wayne, that is exactly my thoughts. I need to find a source for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a local trophy shop. You could probably find them online somewhere.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if I'd like enquirers to know that I did it-unless it's an honour board or something that a public 'signature' would be less appropriate on.

On corro work, it has brought repeat business from others, eg "I was out jogging/cycling/walking and I saw your name on a sign you'd done and I'd like one like that..."

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No tagging here either....I know when I buy a vehicle, that little Dealer logo is the first thing I take off...lol!

Joey! Volcano, Vap Bros or Silver Surfer?

[ January 27, 2011, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KARYN BUSH:
No tagging here either....I know when I buy a vehicle, that little Dealer logo is the first thing I take off...lol!

Sure....but do you rip off the Dodge/Ford/Chevrolet logos? Doubtful. Look at your desk....everything there is branded with a manufacturers info and you think nothing of it. You're the manufacturer of the products you're selling, you should proudly let them know.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in business in Arkansas, I put my bug on almost all my work, though sometimes it was tiny. It has advertising value. I never thought of it as tacky, though there were specific jobs where I thought it was inappropriate.
I know that it generated business because I had people tell me they got my name off of a sign. I also had people tell me they thought I did all the signs in my area, even the ones with no names. They didn't know there were other sign makers. I think I was the only one that signed work consistently.
On sandblasted work I actually blasted my logo very, very small. On lighted signs I usually put the name very discreetly right on the faces.

I think some customers are even proud of who they buy their sign work from — almost as if it were a status symbol. Back in Peoria, I remember a customer saying, "We only buy shocards from Smith Signs because he does the best work." I'll bet the customer was proud of the tiny, tiny "Smith" at the bottom of the shocard.

I never achieved the level of expertise at shocard work that Bob Smith was known for, but I have had a few customers ask why I left my name off their sign on the few times when I didn't sign my work.
On the other hand, once, after completing a number of sandblasted redwood signs for a Chicago real estate developer, I was told I had to remove my logo, which was in a 3/4-inch oval at the bottom of each sign, blasted into the flat border. They relented when I explained the difficulty involved, but said, "from now on, only OUR logo is to appear on our signs."

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm proud to sign my work and my clientelle is proud to have it signed.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marketing rule number 7

Make it easy for any one including the cleint to contact you.
Every thing is tagged with all contact information.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only thing I like to sign is the back of the check" But,I sometimes sign things, but very small. You really have to look for it. On bigger stuff, on the backside where no one can see, I'll put on a sticker. Because when the next guy needs a new sign, he'll see my name on the back of the sign and hopefully give me a call.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3826 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Singer Sargent, Rubens, Van Dyke, all signed their portraits of kings and queens, financiers and industrial giants like J;P, Morgan. But the Chicago real estate developer doent want anybody's name on it but his? Give me a break.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I used computers for all of my work I would never sign it. Well maybe a phone number on the back. But I think that anybody with enough creative talent and skill to actually paint signs would be in error NOT to sign them.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is anything wrong with signing your work - even the computer generated stuff - there is certainly no lack of talent in the digital world! Just do it discreetly so it is available for those who look for it.
I have digital stickers...GASP!!! [Razz] ...that I put on the lower edge or back side depending on what type of sign it is. My murals and hand painted signs I sign by hand.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started my career back in 50's every sign shop tagged everything that went out the door. Truck letterers also signed the vehicles. I have continued doing just that including all screen printed political and job signs.

Millbury's sign code mandates that all electric signage be tagged.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What wrong With Computers? I've seen pulenty of Hand painted Crap that should never be signed, same with Computer Generated Crap, There's Crap everywhere, There's a Lot of People with Talent using Computers, Now there using them to Paint Masterpieces, so I guess there no good as well.

Now Back to our regular Programing...There that felt Good. lol Programing? One M or 2? Programming? Oh yes there's Spell Check.....

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'm busy, no. If I'm not.........only if I really like it.

So far I think I have signed 3. It's funny how the customers seem to find you though.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put a little carved or raised (on sandblasted) stylized "M" on all my dimensional stuff & flat stuff that's not mundane. No phone #, no address ...... just my "M".
About 1 complaint in every 500 signs.
I used to put contact info on a wee plate, but all that got me was a bunch of aklmost heart failures when they heard the price. This way, they need to ask the owner of the sign where he got it & along with that information comes a testimonial.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 475 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Roger makes a great point that I left out. And another reason why I don't. If someone likes the sign enough, they will ask the owner, and then if I did my job right, a testimonial. People are more likely to buy based on a personal recommendation than just from print. There is no right or wrong on this point. And from a marketing stand point it makes logical sense to tag your signs.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Keith Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 11121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Jenicek   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Jenicek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of variables here, however the marketing frame of mind should be your first priority:

Testimonials and Word of Mouth are the most valuable marketing for you. Next is name recognition, branding. Where there is no opportunity for a testimonial such as a subdivision, TAG IT. All else, let your customers work for you.

--------------------
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs
St. Louis, MO

www.Artisan-Signs.net

Posts: 67 | From: Ballwin, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn...what you showed looks good to me...I've never signed my stuff before...but after reading this post I'm going to start.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2180 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

This is knda Funny really, Here we are, all about educating Business's on the Value of creating "Brand" for themselves, a look, whatever, and some have a problem in promoting themselves....That's not meant as an insult, just an observation... which I have been guilty myself on occasion.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Never.

I have always had the mindset that the customer is asking/paying me to put THEIR name on it and every inch should be dedicated to that.
They always refer me to anyone who asks who did it and that kind of word of mouth has been the cornerstone of my business.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!