Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » HELP PLEASE! my banner isn't drying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE! my banner isn't drying
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen Moser   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Moser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I often paint vinyl banners, use 1-shot. However, on this one I rolled a background and after 2 days IT'S AS WET AS EVER!! I always wipe the surface with lacquer thinner before painting and this was no exception. I blew a fan on it the first night, and this evening I spent 10 minutes with a hair dryer very close going over a 2'x2' area to no avail. Any suggestions??? I hope??? THANK YOU!!!

Sincerely, Ellen

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
Ellen's Airbrush and Signs
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA
870-665-2355 http://www.CustomPaintedSigns.com
http://www.Facebook.com/EllensAirbrush

Posts: 93 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try misting the tacky paint with hydrogen peroxide, that is a tip I remember from previous posts about this problem,...it is a common problem with some vinyl banners as the plasticizers migrate to the surface of the vinyl,.plasticizers are the compounds added to the vinyl mix to make it flexible. Sometimes you will need to do more than just wipe the surface as you have learned from the unfortunate results you ask help with,..this is the very reason paint manufacturers formulated vinyl primers such as tie-coat and vinyl cote.

edited top add I have used sealkrete concrete sealer with some success,(available at lowes hardware)...it takes a couple of coats and takes longer to dry than tie-cote

[ January 20, 2011, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen Moser   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Moser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I will try the hydrogen peroxide in the morning. Please clarify about tie-cote: are you suggesting I paint this over my wet paint? Where do I buy it? I will also look for the sealkrete.

I have a deadline, of course.

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA

Posts: 93 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a new banner! If your time is not worth
anything there will never be profit on the job...

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack is correct!

You must seal the surface of a vinyl banner BEFORE painting with 1Shot, or any other oil based paint.

Enamel receptive banners already have a ti-coat when you get them. If not, you must add a barrier coat such as TiCoat or other sealer.

An acrylic coat such as TiCoat, Johnsons "Future" floor finish, Sacrete additive, or other coating like them.

That banner will NEVER dry. I remember that problem very well, since I went thru that many many years ago when I first started. That damn banner was still sticky when I tossed it in the trash 9 months later.

My advice, toss that banner in the trash and buy another one, go to the super market and get a bottle of Johnsons "Future and coat both sides, then letter it with 1Shot.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Thank you so much, everyone! It's definitely going in the trash. Sigh of relief!!

Si, I am going to take your advice: the Future floor finish sounds like the best deal. I am thinking now that wiping with lacquer thinner will no longer be necessary, correct?

I can't wait to start over! [Smile]

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downunder, I stick with waterbased banner paint-it alleviates those problems, once you do a test.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why paint banners when you can order them for 25% less and not worry with them, not bashing just asking

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta go with Bruce. I can order a 10oz. 3x8 banner digitally printed in full color hemmed & grommet for $36.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen, you've got lots of good feedback.

Tie-Cote is made by Chromatic; it is made to be a barrier coat (primer) for vinyl.

You can also use the above mentioned stuff, most acrylic semi-gloss paints, Sherwin- Williams Sher-Kleer, etc. Oil-based enamels will never dry, without primer. Even if it feels dry to the touch, after the hydrogen peroxide, it will peel off with your fingernail.

Maybe the digital prints are the way to go, in this case.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

quote:
Originally posted by bruce ward:
why paint banners when you can order them for 25% less and not worry with them, not bashing just asking

Because we are artists and have the reputation as such. Everything we do is hand-painted with artistic flair/ sets us apart. Can hardly keep up with the orders. [Big Grin]

I just went to 2 stores: a big grocery 2 blocks away, then 3 miles to Walmart to find the Johnson's Future Floor Finish. Nowhere to be seen, took a guess and bought Pledge Floor Care Finish for tile and vinyl floors.

Then I looked on the internet and found this:
http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/asked-and-answered/ask-question-comment.aspx?title=Where-is-Future-Floor-Wax.

I also have another banner; will test a small corner before proceeding. I really really appreciate all the help!!!

Sincerely, Ellen

[ January 21, 2011, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Troy & Ellen Hendricks ]

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA

Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

That link isn't working... here is a copynpaste of the info:

"I'm trying to find Future® Floor Wax. Is it still available? – John from L.A."

Glad to hear from you, John! The Future® Floor Polish product was renamed under the Pledge® brand in November of 2007. It is now Pledge® Premium Finish with Future® Shine. Don't worry – it is still the same great Future® formula, just a new name and still provides that durable, long lasting shine. You should be able to find it in your local grocery or home needs stores but if you still have trouble, please call our Consumer Relationship Center at 1-800-558-5252 for more details.

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA

Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Stewart-Koster:
Downunder, I stick with waterbased banner paint-it alleviates those problems, once you do a test.

Just wondering how water-based paint holds up outside in the weather?

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other option is to order your banners enamel receptive from your supplier......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen...If you wipe down the banner with alcohol and then use an acrylic water borne gloss or semi gloss sash & trim paint ... it will stick like a divorce lawyer going after a bigger settlement.

(Regular wall paint doesn't have enough pigment to cover very well.)

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what was meant by 'water based' is acrylic or latex, which is what I alluded to earlier. Holds up great.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just wondering how water-based (banner) paint holds up outside in the weather?

I said 'water based' as donw here, the word 'acrylic' can refer to perspex, and it can refer to automotive lacquer, and it can refer to water based house paint-so to avoid ambiguity, I wrote it like that.
'Latex' paint down here is junk-absolutely the cheapest worst water-based stuff you can get. You might paint a tin fence with it, or a concrete block-walled public toilet, but you would not intentionally use it on anything meant to last. That's why I didn;t use the word latex!

(no offense to your North American product which must work well, but then our Avery vinyl has not failed me in 12 years and still going well.)

The Aussie brand 'Solver' banner paint is a low-sheen water based exterior paint-it's lasted as well as anything I''d ever wished for, in the hot aussie weather. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still good.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotcha, Now I understand

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Ian, I've found, up here, that acrylic and latex are terms generally meaning the same thing, and used interchangeably.....water based.

Actually, there is no real latex in latex paint anymore, but a blend of acrylics and copolymers, developed to give the paint similar properties to latex....but much cheaper and more consistent to duplicate.

Most stores' brands may say either term, shame we can't have uniformity in products. Quite a few paints use both names "acrylic latex".

[ January 22, 2011, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Heather Moodie
Visitor
Member # 1417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather Moodie   Email Heather Moodie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Sorry to hear about your banner problem. I had that happen many years ago with a 2-sided 25' banner. I always coat my banners with Enamel Coat if I was in doubt whether it is enamel receptive. I used to buy it from sign supply stores. It is looks quite a bit like milk. I usually brush it on with a large foam brush. You might inquire with Canadian Signcrafers supply in Ontario. I haven't bought any recently, so not sure of availability but they will know for sure. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Heather

--------------------
Heather Moodie
Scott Signworks
Portland, Ontario

Posts: 37 | From: Portland, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Dale, I was just trying to not let any misunderstandings creep in, due to regional differences. Many of the names & terms I read here aren't used downunder- another foreign word is 'Bondo'. (We colloquially call it 'Bog'-it took a while to work out what was meant)

Actually, 'waterborne' is probably more apt that 'waterbased', too!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronan AquaCoat Paint,...works for me.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

I'm with you, Ian. Seems someone else was having a problem understanding.....

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!