Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT..Politically correct or overkill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT..Politically correct or overkill?
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard that a 25 year old tune by Dire Straites will have to be edited in order to be played on Canadian radio. Seems that "Money for Nothing" contains a word that offends the gay and lesbian community. That word is "Fa**ot". The tune has been playng for over 25 years and now it is offensive???

This follows a recent announcement in the news that the Mark Twain classic "The adventures of Huckleberry Finn" will have to be revised to change the "N" word to "slave" in order to be read by kids in the USA.

Yet we can tune into all sorts of series on TV and read all sorts of books that incorporate words that could be even more offensive.

I can think of dozens of songs and many dozens of books that could soon be "censored" too.

Makes me a bit sad.

Will it come to pass that all we will be able to read is the bible and all we will be able to watch on TV is religious programming and all we will be able to listen to on the radio is religious music?

Maybe the ancient Mayans were correct..the world might just end in Dec 2012...at least they couldn't calculate their calender after that date.

Sorry for the off-topic rant.. The "money for Nothing" thing just got to me.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8877 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy, that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire

Phoqum

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ain't like the good old days Dave! People can't tell each other to screw off at work, as there are laws that will send you home, especially in a Post Office. Sometimes you can't even have a drink on a porch in New Brunswick at 3:00 a.m. [Smile]
On a lighter note, this female police officer stopped a Newfoundlander and said "You are under arrest and anything you say might be held against you"...and he said Tits [Smile]
Happy New Year to you and Shirley! Many more!
We must make it a point to meet up before 2012 unless you have contacts with the Aztec Calendar makers!!

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is because govt, attorneys have taken over and common sense is gone

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful. The PC Police don't like that kind of talk.

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was brought up by a Complaint that a Local radio station that I do work for, recieved from one listener. Imagine 1 person complained....I guess all Archie Bunker episodes will have to go off the Air Pretty Soon...I am very offended by the word "Honky" lol

http://ozfm.com/

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the other day they are rewriting Mark Twain classics for the schools, to remove the "N" word because it is offensive.

Really now? I guess the school systems haven't watch a frickin rap video lately.

Lunacy

[ January 14, 2011, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunacy is right.

Wasn't it in Germany in WW2 when they were burning books & stuff? Other places too. What's next?

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave...you refer to the Bible as possibly the only thing left we will be allowed to read...well the Bible has been edited as well...just like Mark Twain's "N" word was changed to "slave"... in Deut. 25:11-12 God commands women's hands to be cut off for grabbing men's testicles...the King James version euphemistically translates "secrets" for "testicles"...and there is absolutely no disagreement among biblical scholars as to the correct translation...in fact the Old Testament contains many sexual or violent references...but I would never be for censoring them...I'm not in favor of censoring as a general rule...but as a society there are certain standards we uphold...many of these change with time...as today we see usage of the "N" word as only acceptable among black's...and as a white man my usage of the "N" word is viewed as an "anathema"...or forbidden...but in the context of history I understand why that is and I'm OK with it.

[ January 14, 2011, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if you're ever get a chance to be around any real Mexican/Americans, we make fun of everybody. Even their nick names reflect the person's personna in some way. "Chico" "Flaco" "Gordo" My Dad used to call me "Fea" It's a part of the culture that has stayed intact.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3816 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Dave, the bible is on top of the list of what PC considers offensive things. I'm pretty sure that for years now, Romans Chapter 1 cannot be read on Canadian airwaves. "Politically correct" is a liberal movement which is at odds with the bible on numerous issues. The major players in terms of money and legal effort to resist the PC takeover are Christian organizations.
People complain about Christian-Jewish morality, but it's ironic that the freedoms under that code spawned the PC movement, which will micromanage lives much more so than the former. Look at all the recorded things that have been said against God and religion: God is dead, he is hateful and vindictive, etc, etc. There's publicly funded "art" that puts a crucifix in a urinal. Christians didn't rise up to silence those things; They only wanted to not have their own tax dollars fund the alleged "art".
But then watch what happens if you say one little (perceived) wrong against homosexuals, illegal immigrants, or Islam. MY, WHAT A BIGOT!!!
The foremost tactic of societal engineering by the PC adherents is manipulation by shouting "I'm offended". I'm kind of thinking that it'll soon be coming to a forum near you...

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll never get rid of this ridiculous crap, unless we speak up, Dave. Even the Bible is under fire,as well as many references to religion in general. Look at how many different places and documents have had to have religious references removed from them.

Everyday, you read about some stupid petty gripe like this...and it's usually one person or one family, who gets some liberal judge to make such a ruling. Just once, instead of trying to get his name in the paper, I'd like to see some judge have the ba--s to say "this is a stupid, frivolous,and petty complaint; get over it." Why should all of us have to suffer over the gripes of a few whiners?

It's gonna get worse, until we (someone) fight back. Problem is, we don't usually hear about such a hearing until the ruling is handed down; so there's usually no time for public outcry.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cum 2 1/2 men aren't Censored? It's not Ozzie and Harriet. Guess the last Nelson is gone.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ January 14, 2011, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Darcy Baker ]

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

I don't like double posts

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two and half men is a good example along with all the other sexual smut, but this stays on in prime time no less.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, I call all my skinny friends Flaco [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flaco Jimenez.

"and as a white man my usage of the "N" word is viewed as an "anathema"...or forbidden...but in the context of history I understand why that is and I'm OK with it." - Rusty

Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding your meaning, but you avoiding the N word within the hearing of a Black person is one thing. Changing the words of possibly the greatest American writer in history and presenting that as what he wrote is another. And there's no end to it once it's tolerated.

As for Dave saying "The adventures of Huckleberry Finn" will have to be revised to change the "N" word to "slave" in order to be read by kids in the USA.", do you mean it will no longer be legal, or will be the case in some ridiculous libraries, or what? My kids can still read Huck Finn as it was written and always will be able to.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not "offended" at the reference to liberal judges being blamed for PC rulings, but I am going to point out that the P, in PC is a well known taboo in Letterville, and for good reason... just like Dennis points out the difference between choosing words more carefully in some situations, vs. an all out ban. The all out ban is ludicrous... but as for self censoring in "some situations" people should do that whenever a community has established rules of conduct...

...do those who would risk a political slant on this topic, jeopardzing our rights to continue discussing it here... do they actually think Conservative politics are not equally as guilty of censorship? Talk about ludicrous!!!!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, me thinks it is not the political aspect that bothers you but the perceived slant itself.

Letterville isn't getting much action anymore, even if this would rouse the crowd a little, what could it hurt?

Anyways, I see nothing here but a little grumbling about modern living today.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes I miss the good old crowd rousing days around here... but I think I pushed the envelope a bit at times (well, I know I did... Steve told me [Roll Eyes] ) and I've seen others get shut down for also overstepping...

on a healthcare topic just last year for example...

...so, you are correct, the slant is what I could do without... or it's what I could do battle with... the fact of overzealously acquiescing to marginal crybaby contingents is outrageous, and a worthwhile topic in it's own right...

...but, needing to put one's own personal political slant on the topic, threatens to derail it, as well as watering it down with misguided & invalid characterizations!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets keep politics out of this post.

The decision was made by a private council nothing to do with the government and has nothing to do with potical parties or views from them.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) is an independent, non-governmental organization created by the Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) to administer standards established by its members, Canada's private broadcasters. The Council's membership includes more than 730 private sector radio and television stations, specialty services and networks from across Canada, programming in English, French and third languages.

Do I agree with their decision....NO

If you would like to complain to them about their decision here is there contact info.

Fax: 613-233-4826
Email Address: complaints@cbsc.ca

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2376 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm discussing literature classics, not politics.

The Bowdlerizers will have an even bigger problem with one of the best books I've ever read -- "Travels With Charlie" by John Steinbeck. He devotes about 20 pages to his report of the events in New Orleans when they desegregated the schools in 1960. The naughty word appears repeatedly throughout because he heard it so much. To substitute some other word for it wd render a lot of it nonsensical. They'll just have to delete the whole section and students can get their version of the events from the newspapers.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

I'm wondering what the libraries will do with all the politically incorrest editions of Huck Finn, Travels With Charlie, etc.,when they replace them. Usually, when they do something they're proud of, like a new children's room or women's studies room, they publicize it with a big opening or party. Will they have a public burning of the offending books? Or will they quietly remove them out the back door to have them disposed of, as tho they were ashamed?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I really don't have a problem with Huck Finn as literature...it was written in the mid 1800's when usage of the the word "nigger" was common...it is intersting to note that Twain was very much in favor of emancipation prior to the Civil War...and after the war he even paid for 2 black people to attend college...so he wasn't a racist...I have a sneaky suspicion that if Samuel Clemens was alive today...knowing how the culture has changed so dramatically...as evidenced by the election of our first black president...he would be OK with changing the word "nigger" to "slave"...after all what does it change other than that one word ...the story and characters remain the same...even Bible translations update the use of certain words without changing the meaning or purpose.

[ January 16, 2011, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dennis...kudos to you...you must be a reader...I think that's only the second time I've ever seen the word "bowdlerize" used...and please don't take my previous post as being contentious...it's only my opinion and an assumption on my part...I could be wrong...I respect your opinion and see the validity in your arguments...at the same time my current view also seems reasonable to me...note I said current view.

[ January 16, 2011, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

No one in the present should be speaking for those from the past. If we could reliably channel Mr. Clemens and get his approval, then fine.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

David I did qualify my statement...I said it was an assumption on my part...and that I could be wrong...however I will attempt to channel Mr. Clemens today for his approval. [Wink]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." ~attributed to Samuel Clemens

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Twain has some great classics... hope they don't censor them.

[ January 16, 2011, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, how could your daddy call you that?

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

OK, suppose Twain wrote describing how people acted and talked after 1865 when there were no more slaves. Now what word wd you have the Southerners using to refer to n----s? My grandmother was a middle-class churchgoing lady who prided herself on being among the "nice folks" rather than the "common folks" down the street, but n-----r was the word she usually used when referring to any of the "colored folks". How shall we rewrite all this for the school children so that they will have a different idea about the vocabulary that was common in the past and is still being used by many people? And not just in the USA.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to the uncensored Mark Twain autobiography when it comes out.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you 100% on that one, Dennis. My own grandma was like yours, one of the sweetest people you could ever meet. She didn't have a malicious bone in her body. But.... she used the 'n' word, just as a matter of regular conversation.

We are, now, caught up in an epidemic of "whiner-ism", brought about by political correctness, run amok.

Somebody please tell me why it is wrong to call blacks the 'n' word, when they call each other that, on a regular basis. Likewise for gays (which is a definite misnomer). They also have a bunch of nicknames for each other, that are considered derogatory, when coming from straights. Why isn't something being done about the double-standard?

So much for this "post-racial" time in our history......

[ January 17, 2011, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because it is now fashionable to stand up and shout "I am offended!"

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

"Somebody please tell me why it is wrong to call blacks the "n" word, when they call each other that on a regular basis."

Dale...you are asking this question to the wrong people...you need to ask a black person for their perspective...I think there is a historical context to the question that has some relevance...it interesting to note I have seen that some black leaders are coming out and addressing the very question you ask and they are being very critcal of the "N" word being used among blacks...so not only you but they see something wrong about it as well...let's just hope that their voice is heard and accepted in the black community and that some change will occur in time.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a child I had a cherished Golliwog, I guess they are now considered racist. That's sad as most kids in my circle had one and loved it as much or more as their Teddy Bears. Such is the innocence of childhood, it is free from others' bias, or at least it should be. [Frown]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David O'Hanlon
Visitor
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David O'Hanlon   Author's Homepage   Email David O'Hanlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hollywood is planning to doing a remake of "Dambusters", but development has stalled because they cannot decide how to deal with Guy Gibson's dog.

--------------------
Army Dave
Oz

Posts: 229 | From: Brisbane, Oz | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!