Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Life is what we make it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life is what we make it
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a wonderful town. I believe its one of the better towns around.

But in the last weeks I have been disturbed by what I see in the paper - especially on the front page. Without fail, the pages are full of bad things, drug busts, shootings, murder, accusations of wrongdoing and such. We all know those things happen here, and just about everywhere it seems. My beef is that we seem to concentrate so much on the negative. Why put the worst on the front page? Why give the bad guys so much front page ink? So much energy (and resources) are spent building fear in our lives.

The news on TV is no better. Even seemingly minor incidences are blown into major events. Bad guys dominate primetime.

On this forum and all the others too, the negative stories seem to get the biggest response. Have someone take advantage of you - post it here and it will get discussed for days, often with lots of suggestions of more wrongs you could do in return. What does it solve? How does it make our lives better? How does it enrich the lives of those we interact with?

Imagine what would happen if we chose to simply ignore these posts and instead concentrate on items that built up our brothers and sisters and the craft in general.

Bad stuff will always happen. People will steal, fight or worse. So bit it. Why can't that stuff be printed in the back sections of the news. Why can't we instead celebrate the good things that happen each day to all of us? Console those that weep, but also take the time to dance with those who are happy, who have achieved a goal.

Life would be so much better.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the News Business, especially TV News the motto is:

If it bleeds ... it leads!

Unfortunately ... they all seem to follow that!

[Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The media started it's downward moral spiral, gathering everyday good people with it, when it decided it had to "entertain", not just inform.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped taking the news seriously when I watched and episode of Dateline in '93. In response to a lawsuit filed by General Motors, Dateline read an online apology for faking a demonstration of a GMC pickup catching fire - supposedly from a side impact to the gas tank. GM engineers discovered that the truck was rigged to leak fuel, and incendiary devices were placed to make sure it would catch fire. A few minutes of apology and that was it. The whole thing made me sick. Since then I haven't trusted the media to deliver unbiased facts. News these days is just another form of entertainment for selling advertising.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, your in good company

Romans 12:15
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

as said it's all about the money, and it's sad.
interesting how the good news is always at the
end of the show or a small paragraph buried in the
paper

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cable here. No satellite here. No newspaper delivery.

Peace at last. Peaces at last. Thank God peace at last.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't watch the news on tv or read the newspaper for the exact reasons you mention. I don't think that means I'm burying my head in the sand.... just tired of all the negativity ! I can only do my best to be a good person and treat others the way I expect to be treated, and hope it affects them in a positive way.

What we leave behind is not engraved in stone monuments,
but woven into the lives of others.....

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Dan said..."We should celebrate the good things that happen each day"...I totally agree as I fondly recall the evening my wife and I jumped naked on the tramopline after putting the kids to bed...it's been several years now but I vow to never lose that exhileration for life we felt on that night.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Peterman
Visitor
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Peterman   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Peterman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tmi Rusty.....tmi

but funny

--------------------
Jon Peterman
200 Summit Loop
Grants Pass, OR
--------------------
a.k.a. dc-62
success is in Jesus Christ

Posts: 434 | From: grants pass or. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since I have been on the computer about 6" of snow has fallen...we don't see much snow here in Tennessee...it might be 1:30 in the morning but there's no way I'm going to bed without first taking a walk and writing my name in the snow...I might be 62 but I still remember how we did it when we were kids and that big glass of wine I had earlier should help...like Dan said "celebrate the good things"

[ January 10, 2011, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! What I was upset about is officially GONE. Thanks Rusty! [Smile]

Whenever I use to visit with my mom, she'd tell me this and that she read in the paper. I always had to just nod and let her fill me in because I never had a clue what she was talking about. I stopped reading the paper and watching the news long ago due to all the negativity. Her reason for reading and watching... so she had something to talk about with her friends at her condo complex over coffee time. LOL

While I could appreciate her wishing to be informed so she could appear on top of things, I chose differently. And I don't believe I've suffered for it in the least.

And much like what Curtis said, I've simply chosen a world of peace.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I hear of the evil, it saddens me but it also lets me appreciate the wonderful life I live. I tend to stick my head in the sand and not want to know about all the pain...but there needs to be a balance so you can realize just how lucky you are.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I far and away prefer the positive, the upbeat- and work on letting go of the crap. Mom used to say that's why we have 2 ears- in one side and OUT the other!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Dan. Preach on brother.

I knew I liked Rusty for some reason. On a positive note...that's one advantage of being male.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jumping naked on a trampoline at 30 is probably safer than at 60.... gravity sucks. hehe

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty is cool! lol I'm not sure if it was here that I mentioned it before but at one time there was a local tv show, it was called "A little good News" it was a show inspired I'm sure by this Song.

Thanks for reminding us Dan.. there's always a little good news............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUUQElQ8kM

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the problem is the public that has a passion for all the murder mysteries. Just look at what is offered on the TV and the movies. I don't understand it, but that is what they like and that is what is being produced. What is the great interest in the Dracular movies?
I am among those who no longer gets a newspaper or follows the TV news daily. A good music channel on satellite TV or radio. It seems like every week there is another report about Wall Street or the government official ripping off the country. The worse part is that nothing seems to be done to make it better.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a small card in front of me on the bulletin board that reads:

"We can't direct the wind but we can adjust the sails."

Abraham Lincoln said, "Folks are just about as happy as they want to be."

If folks are not friendly in the one you're leaving, they won't be in the town you're going to. The opposite is also true.

"As a man thinks, so is he."

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Write on Rusty, Write on...Dan you are so absolutely right. It is because of the sensationalizing of news that was one of main deciding factors of me leaving a 13 year career in the broadcast business. We've also took down our satil. dish, just to much negativity...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I don't have a problem with reading papers...or watching news on tv...and still being an optomistic person...for me it's important to me to stay informed...I'm interested in political issues because they can more than anything effect our everyday lives...I bounce between CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news for a couple of hours each night unless something interestes me more in sports, the arts, or history...but it's the sensationalized stories I stay away...ever since I gave away a good part of my life to OJ Simpson...whom I've never met...I vowed "never again". [Cool]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like anything in life, it always have to be a balance of everything. I listen to the news and could be hearing that our PM helped an old lady cross the street, or visited a school or planted a tree... who cares !

But he gets caught accepting a few 100gs in a paperbag to help a contract go through, I wanna know that so I can do my part to kick his a$$ out of office when given the chance !

Then again, that happened here to exPM, M. Bigchin and he gets to keep the mention "honorable" before his name... so go figure !

[I Don t Know] [Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't watched any news channels I'n the past twelve months and won't. There was one exception, the saving of the Columbian miners. I missed two nights sleep and shed bucket loads of tears. Now that was positive tv

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!