Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 1-shot quick gold size query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1-shot quick gold size query
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use an old Aussie company's gold size -made by Watsonia- till they stopped making it.

Another company here makes a size- Viponds- but there's never any niformation on how quick or alow it is, and I've found it a bit hit-&-miss. When you think it's going to be right, it'll be too dry to take any gold, or too wet & dead. I know you can say- just test it, and I do, but when you spend an hour lettering, and think you'll be able to gild in such-and-such time, and you find it already too dry to start where you started, then you start looking for other options.

JOhn Jordan said to add a touch of boiled linseed oil to it to slow it down, so that's what I tended to do.

A couple of months ago, I got a 1/4 pint can of the 1-shot gold size, thinking it might be better than what I'd been using. It wasn't easy to get over here, either & this was the last can the distributor had in Australia.

I opened it & took out a spoonful & added a bit of Keeps Intenso yellow for colouring & did the sizing & gilding & kept the remainder of the mixed stuff in a film canister.

It did dry rather quickly- both the stuff to be gilded, and the stuff in the sealed canister. The label said it sets up in one hour, and can be gilded or engine turned for up to 8 hours later.
This was almost too dry to continue gilding after 1 3/4 hours. It took me an hour to size everything, and then I started to gild, which is why I was still going at the 1 3/4 hour mark. I really had to squash the gold in.

That was 2 weeks ago.
Last night I went to gild a big cross, and opened the little can of 1-shot size, and it had already formed a fat skin on top, despite having been opened only for about 30 seconds when I took a spoonful of size out.

Is it common to get a skin on the stuff so quickly? There was barely 1/4" of air in the top of the can under the lid.

After doing last night's work in the cool of the evening, I decided to store the can upside down so any skins will be on the bottom, but I was just surprised by this.

It did take the gold nicely, however after 1 hour to set-up. I do like the way it works.

The Viponds gold size will keep liquid for months in a small film canister, which is why I was amazed this 1-Shot had gone off so fast.

Is this 'normal' for the 1-shot gold size, or might this be some new formulation?

Thanks!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a little trick that works with size and enamels, take a deep breath and hold it for a few seconds then exhale strongly into the can to displace the oxygen and cap quickly, this helps stop the skinning over, and I always stored the oneshot size upside down so the skin would form in the bottom of the can

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new OneShot size does not hold it's tack very long.... I have been letting it dry for half an hour and checking the knuckle squeek after that on a couple of test patches on the same surface as the lettering. If you have the time slow size will have a much longer window and usually a better guild...

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been adding about 20 percent 12 hour size to the quick size. The One shot goes off in 30 minutes around here.
It does skin over in the can real fast.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, skinning over quickly in the can is normal for One Shot quick size.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.
Breathing in the can I sometimes do, but you don't expect it to be a necessity-just maybe an option.

The 12 hour 1-shot size just isn't available on Australia at the moment. Airlines won't freight paint type stuffs either.

Maybe it's a marketing ploy- skin over, dry up & you have to buy a new can...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that One-Shot has a slow size.....

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add 1 drop of Mineral Spirits onto the top of the size, do not stir or shake. This will help in preventing a skin.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember where I saw it but there was a recipe posted somewhere for making old school slow fat size, like the old Hastings slow size, which was great!

Anyone remember where? if so would you post it?

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have much luck with gilding, period.
But I have had no luck with the 1S fast size.
It does skin up pretty fast in the can.
I used to use Rolco but can no longer get it.
I like the LeFranc slow size much better.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a long thread...

http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/44490.html?

My post is 22 down......works every time

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, McLogan still carries Rolco size

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fat Oil would be you base to slow gold size, often rendered animal fat would be left out in the sun for several months during the summer with a lid covering the oil, occasionally stiring. Once Thickened, Varish and or Spirits were added until desired tack time was determened.

The Slower the gold size, the brighter the gild becomes.

add 5 drops of oil to every 1oz of fast size

Good Luck,
Any problems, give me a call

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a pretty good reference book,... the terminology is somewhat antiquated,... but the info here is priceless,....here is the link free sign manual in pdf format There is a whole chapter devoted to the process of making fat oil size with some very good formulas,.... I knew an old fellow here who made his own and it would hold a tack for several days if not longer(rumor was it could be gilded for a month but I find that kind if hard to believe),...the area that the gilding was done in had to be very very dust free because the fat oil size took quite some time to dry and held a tack for another extended period of time,.... He went to the Detroit sign school and studied under EC Matthews and was great source of knowledge in things lost to history in this trade,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ron & Timi.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thank you all for the info.
I was surprised that the few holes or 'holidays' I had, when I resized over them the next day & gilded over that, were imperceptible afterwards.
I've found formerly with the size I used to use, that you'd see the patch as a sort-of run-looking shape.

The 1-shot stuff was good- I was just surprised it went off & skinned over much faster that I expected.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!