Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » So how's things now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So how's things now?
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the portfolio page it seems there's lots of work being done.... This has to be the busiest fall I've ever had, plenty of work to keep 6 people hopping, and plenty more coming in....Looking at all the hand painting being done it kinda makes me jealous... but the vinyl is my bread and butter, and I do get to enjoy the Airbrush during the winter...and the stipers as well.

So How are all the rest of you doing?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lawrence Armstrong
Resident

Member # 8336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawrence Armstrong   Author's Homepage   Email Lawrence Armstrong       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're absolutely dead out here on the west coast....at least where I work. I'm pretty much laid off for the moment going in only when needed which has only been a couple days a week lately. Not sure if its because of the local economy, too many shops going after the shrinking pie or just bad management by my employer.

--------------------
Lawrence Armstrong
1059 Price Road,
Parksville B.C. Canada V9P 2X1

Posts: 142 | From: Parksville B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished my BIG event for my year. I'm up 25% over last year, had 3 "be backs" and two up grades. The high end work made the difference. I did see a lot of pain out there tho.

I'll be busy at least until April.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a steady and productive year, but things slowed down in the hot weather in August, so I did go out and shake a bunch of hands and passed out fresh cards. Boom! October is off to the races! September finsihed stronger than ever. Whenever I see a slow down, I always get that niggling feeling like I should be doing something and nothings seems to beat going out there and seeing custiomers in the flesh. Hard as it is to do, a shoeshine and a smile always seem to work best.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1561 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're back and booming (at least for now).......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4117 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slowest year ever. Next week I start working for someone else(first time in 20 years).I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the new job Darcy!

I've been working on a lot of projects in the SF Bay area and N. California. Some of them are fun and some are mind-numbing corporate & government detail work. A couple of upscale shopping malls, gas station rebrands, some BART station wayfinding signs along with the misc. bottom feeders & cheapskates wanting something for nothing. I just designed some new signs for a music venue in San Rafael with an Art Deco look (we need to check that place out Sonny).

[ October 15, 2010, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
busy here.

mini van
store front
30 shadow boxes.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a guy that been doing business on a bicycle, I'm doing good still.
Last year it dry up in beginning of Oct till about March and has been on a steady up hill sales since, most of my work is call backs and internet sales for new customers, to get out of the woods I still need alot more work but I see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just designed some new signs for a music venue in San Rafael with an Art Deco look". Brent, why wd the San Raphael people go all the way to Reno for art work? Not everybody in SF is a loony, you know.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 913 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the loonies live in Reno.

[ October 15, 2010, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Brent Logan ]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might have spoken too soon - a big gig just called today and cancelled.

maybe I'll move to Reno...........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4117 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the problem here is the same as described by Lawrence..."bad management by the employer" (which happens to be me).

After a dreadful year, it seemed to be turning around during the late Spring and we were able to get some nice jobs and were actually able to keep the utilities paid but in the past few months the faucet has been turned off again.

Yesterday, there was a young man came in the studio looking for a job as a fabricator. He had just been let go by another local sign shop due to lack of work. Another shop just a short distance from me is considering laying off his only employee due to not having enough work to keep them both busy.

Our area has not been as badly hit by the economy as the rest of the country, but lots of folks here are struggling.

There is a lot more that I could do to bring in the work, but a lot of that passion from years past is gone. As Joey reminds us, we make the choices of where we be, and he is correct.

Over the years this business has always been a roller coaster ride, with lots of ups and downs. It just a part of this profession. Right now we have dropped off that high point and our stomachs feel a little strange and fear makes us want to scream, but soon we will begin to rise again.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, it's been off. Like Ray pointed out, it's always been a roller coaster ride, but for years now the peaks haven't been as high. We had a nice decent month last month, this month stinks.
I could type half a day explaining all the reasons, but to sum it up, people just aren't spending money like they used to. We do a lot of weekend events and attendance at them has been way off this year. All the vendors have been singing the same song.
Houses sit unsold, car lots are filled with unsold cars....it's not just us.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4324 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Gaffney
Resident

Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Gaffney   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Gaffney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had been tipping along nice and steady for the past couple of years. At last, all the jobs I priced for the last few months have come to fruition. Have enouh really good work on the books that will keep us going till mid JAnuary. I do some trade work though and two local guys I work for have nothing on. Guess I've just hit a lucky spot. Long may it continue

--------------------
Kevin Gaffney
Artistik Signs
Kinnegad
County Westmeath
Ireland
044-75187
kevingaffney@eircom.net

Posts: 628 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spigot turned off for us nineteen months ago but it's been cracked open a bit. I've got a couple of dimensional signs in the works right now, another for the same client should come next week. Some of my apartment customers are at least talking of doing what they pulled off the table over a year and a half ago.

On the other hand the medical profession here has had an awesome year, however, it's slowed for them so far this month.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5101 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had the worst year, business wise, since we started in 1992-- so bad I went from 2 full-time jobs, up to 3 just to make ends meet, and just interviewed for job number 4 ( a part time graphic position at the local university marketing department)- I didn't get it , but I did get some freelance work out of the interview.

The really sad thing is that about 50 people applied for a part time, no benefits or perks, strictly hourly job that will end the middle of Dec. a few years ago you couldn't have given a job like that away- but things are so bad, people are willing to take just about anything just to get some income, even for a short time.

I really hate the fact that it now takes so much just to survive- my son and I are now looking at a part time night job helping the janitor at our school, who has to work 3 jobs as well.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things here have slowed also. I was fortunate enough this spring to get to do a 1500 sq ft mural in the center of town. We just put the last of the clear coat on today. It kept me busy from June 1st until Oct 16. Paid the bills for the summer. Thank goodness for that because we were not getting many jobs up to that point. Everyone knew I was busy at the mural so they said they didn't want to take me away from that...but I did get a coup[le of nice projects done. Now that I am finished, we have a couple of sandblasted urethane foam signs to do, a couple of MDO signs and repair a billboard.

Dianne and I are getting social security now and I have applied for my Vietnam disability. I have 10 % now, but trying to get it up to 50%. If that happens we can semi-retire and I can take on some jobs that will provide us with some spending cash. I am hoping we can stay busy for the winter because next spring this area will start to really jump with the removal of the 2 dams on the Elwha River just west of us. The government is pumping several millions into the economy for the next 5 years so the sign business will get a piece of that. The local economy will also do well. I am so fortunate to still be functionally healthy....because I still enjoy being able to stay creative.

We shall see what happens in the next couple of years on the planet, but I think we are due for a drastic shake-up....which hopefully will be for the better, because we should know that the way we are doing things isn't working. Time for something new.

Hope you all do well and your health stays good and your heart stays in the light.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!