Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Biggest wall job ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biggest wall job ?
David Kynaston
Visitor
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Kynaston   Author's Homepage   Email David Kynaston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got me wondering, some of those jobs are huge. What's the biggest wall job you've heard of....or done.....and how were some of those amazingly huge pictorials done to such perfection?

--------------------
David Kynaston
Tyn Celyn, Nant Uchaf Farm, Tower Hill, Garth, Llangollen, N. Wales, U.K. LL20 7YH
01978 821552/823421
kynastonh@aol.com

Posts: 36 | From: North Wales, U.K. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know how big the wall was here I wrote it down many moons ago,..but I remember painting the word "Winston" on the grandstand at North Wilkesboro Speedway back in the late seventies and the letters were way over fifteen foot tall and it took over 6 20' swings with the stage to complete the job,..after I was done the Winston ad people flew over in Junior Johnson's plane to see if they could read it,..I spent the next fifteen years painting Winston Cup Series on just about anything you can imagine at racetracks across the eastern coastal and southeastern United States at racetracks for them,...another wall I did was over 7 stories tall and way over 150 feet wide for a pawn shop here in town,...they had a contractor paint the background so I never actually measured the whole wall, but the copy was way over ten feet tall for three words,...Camel City Pawn,...Have done some quite large signs in my time but those two come to mind,....as for the pictorials I use a system of 4' grids bisected from corner to corner when I lay them out,...in other words I start with a scaled drawing with scaled four foot squares and then x them out from corner to corner as I lay them out,...this serves two purposes,..one it helps me keep track of where I am working at a glance on a very large layout and the other is that your mind can interpret the spacial relationships in a triangle three times as fast as in a square,...the system being that when I x out a four foot square on the layout I end up with four exact triangles to draw from and the layout goes much faster,...this system works on any grid system form a 6" to a ten foot grid quite well and helps you keep track of where you are at with a glance to see the last square x'd out,...as for perfection,..you are on your own there,..some of the best pictorals looked horribly sloppy up close and like photographs from the ground five or six stories below,...look at a photo with a magnifier and crop out all but one tiny square and you might get an idea of what I'm taking about,...

edited to add I just remembered doing a wall three stories high by about three hundred foot long here on a corrugated grandstand here about twenty or more years ago,..

[ August 21, 2010, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Kynaston
Visitor
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Kynaston   Author's Homepage   Email David Kynaston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim that's amazing. If you have any pics to see that would be a real bonus. I love the X idea. How big was Camel City Pawn to justify such a job?

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
David Kynaston
Tyn Celyn, Nant Uchaf Farm, Tower Hill, Garth, Llangollen, N. Wales, U.K. LL20 7YH
01978 821552/823421
kynastonh@aol.com

Posts: 36 | From: North Wales, U.K. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to search my photos it was done about five or six years back and I am quite bad at taking pics of my work but the job is in a nearby town and I have to go there this week,...will try to get a photo then and post it,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Kynaston
Visitor
Member # 4395

I think you're going to have to now Tim........everyones waiting..........lets hope it hasn't been painted over...........or even worse............vinyl wrapped.....aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh !!!!!!

--------------------
David Kynaston
01978 821552/823421
kynastonh@aol.com

Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

not too worried about that,..made damned sure the guy paid enough to appreciate my work for quite awhile,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't top Timi (nor would I want to) but here's the biggest I've done so far and it was 30 years ago:

-

This was on the side of a 3 story bank and the turn-of-the-century row houses are in 3/4 scale. That's me sitting on a park bench in the center and Peggy is in the balcony window of the pink house. It's 160 feet wide and we painted it in the dead of winter. The bank had a flashing time/temp sign and I remember sitting up there on the very top of the scaffold one morning and seeing 17 degrees (that's fahrenheit for you farners)flashing across and wondering why in the hell I ever got in this business.

I'm still wondering..........

[ August 21, 2010, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest mural I've done so far was 50' tall and 100 feet wide. It was done on an old, rough brick wall in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. took 9 days as I recall. The building was torn down last year.

The largest lettering I've done was 20 feet high and 270 feet long. 'Baker Cold Storage' The bottom of the lettering/graphic was twenty feet off the ground. It had a big three color stripe and graphic of Mount Baker as well. It was done around 1979 and lasted for decades. That was the only time in my life I used a swing stage. I remember I bid the job very low ($1,250 as I recall) and ended up covering the cost of the paint and stage rental and little else. The owner asked me after it was done if I had made any money on the project. I sheepishly replied no. He handed me my check for the exact amount I had quoted and told me he was very happy with my work. He also told me to do my homework better the next time and charge what the job was worth. Another warehouse building was eventually built beside the wall covering it up.

-grampa dan

[ August 21, 2010, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my first and only time I ever Painted a wall until Danville. This was done about 9 years ago.. This was a First for me on many issues.. First time on a swing Stage, Something this large and using the grid concept for painting.
To give you an Idea of size.. Those openings are 20ft high.

-

-

-

I took these photos today as they called this week and want me to refresh the bottom two panel signs.. At least I will get to paint these in the shop and just have install them off a 200 ft crane.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,I'm thinking back,did you paint the 15 ft JFG COFFEE letters in Charlotte when you and I painted for 3M and also the 14 ft pictorals of Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers for Nagle Outdoor Adv.

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

just like you did Bill,...there were 897 damned light bulbs in that JFG sign and ya had to remove each one before ya could paint it,...to give you an idea of the scale those letters are about 16' tall each,...

-

here is the sister sign just like it in Knoxville Tenn. without the lights on,I remember seeing it at night it had chaser switches (the bulbs would light from top to bottom)and the neon turned on and off it was a spectacular site to see if ya didn't have to paint tha thing,...
 -

edited to add,...while the one in Tennesse isn't quite as high off the ground as the one in charlotte was,they both are covered in kudzu,go figure,...bet they both had wasp nests up under the cross piece in the "G" also,....

[ August 22, 2010, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Tim Barrow ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, hows your dad (Mr. Cool Dude) doing? been a long time, well amigo here's one I just completed a couple months ago. It's 23' X 122' Half trowel twirled finished textured wall.
 -

and here's my video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYBsoGU6vk

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled "biggest mural" and this came up:

-

It's the Long Beach, CA arena and was painted by locals for the Guinness record - the sides are also painted in a dolphin motif similar to Wyland's style.......

[ August 22, 2010, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our biggest was a 10' x 140 double sided sign that ran the length of the roof of a truck garage / warehouse for a local truck stop. Re-painted the entire background and then lettered new logos on both sides.... I think we got $3500 for the whole deal... back in 1988....

It was the middle of June when we did it, and it was just crazy hot on that roof, so after the second day, we started working on it at night, from say 6 pm until 2 or 3 in the morning. The whole thing was illuminated with halogen spotlights, so it was almost like working in the day light.

[ August 22, 2010, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Ed Gregorowicz ]

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!