Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » paint coming off brush handles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: paint coming off brush handles
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 5 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've run into something new, yea, like that never happens. Paint coming off brush handles. We've had a couple of interior mural projects where we have been using a combination of latex and artist acrylics. Some of the brushes have had the paint popping off the handles [Eek!] I've never run into this one before [I Don t Know] Oh, I'm well aware that laying a brush down in a tray of lacquer thinner is asking for it, but water???
The brushes in question are various "artist" brushes. Some do it, some don't. Oh, and the really cheap ones that you get in a package of thirty or so for $5 are fine, it's the expensive ones that the paint pops off of [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think those handles are "dip coated" from the factory, and when you put them in water, the wood swells slightly and cracks it? Then when it dries and shrinks back, the coating falls off....

Hey.....it could happen.....

Have a great weekend, George

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing here. I would keep my acrylic artist brushes in a pan of water all day to keep from drying out when working on a big project and the paint would just pop right off the handles after a while. Dale's gotta be right about the wood swelling.

Bluz Boy Bill Diaz taught me a trick when we where working with Nova Color. Put the brushes in acrylic retarder to keep the paint from drying in the brush... Just like you would with oil on a lettering brush. This will keep them wet for a day or so until you have time to clean them.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have a bucket of water alongside me when working with waterbased paints. Just drop the brushes in to stop them drying out until cleanup or reuse. (Same with the airbrush.) Never had a problem with any kind of brush!

But then I use pure rain water from my house tank. What's in your water? Acid? [Razz]

Anyway what's the problem with a bare handled brush? My set I use for inks are as naked as the day before the handles where painted because of the lacquer thinners I use.

Do you need to know what brand and size a brush is before you use it? If it looks right, go for it!

I have hundreds of "unknowns" in my box!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be the wood swelling and shrinking, but the water getting underneath the acrylic paint. I had an acrylic painting on canvas one time that I put on a high shelf to finish drying and store away. The roof developed a leak and soaked the canvas from the back. When I took it down several months later, the whole painting slid right off the canvas intact, leaving the canvas completely white. I had a film of the painting which I cd mount on the window for a stained glass effect.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, your explanation makes pretty good sense. The paint on the handles seems to be pretty thick and obviously brittle. When it comes off it does so in pretty big hunks. Denise showed me a big angular flat that had a split in the paint a good two inches long and was raised up about 1/8 of an inch.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George at least the handles are still there,..the last couple of years I have been using some dearsfoots fitches made by Royal langnickle and crimping the ferrule to use as wall fitch,...seems some one in their infinite wisdom designed a plastic handle with a rubber grip,...what they didn';t figure on was an old sign painter like me putting them in lacquer thinner to clean them,..they are cheap $4.95 Brushes but they `work well,.,.....till the whole damned handle melts off,....I picked one up the other day and forgot about them being plastic and the thing`was like rubber for about two strokes then fell completely off,...the brush head was still good so I put a wooden handle on it after clearing out the gooey plastic left inside the ferulle,...go figure

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep them wet by having a lot of paint on them, then put them inside some plastic, ready to use

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Stein's method. But what is acrylic retarder? Is that like Flotrol for latex?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Two rules, Don't store brushes submerged in water. And don't clean them with (or store them in) lacquer thinner.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it happens, I just sand 'em down with a piece of 400 paper and keep rollin' the dice.

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think if they're in water for too long, they would act like a wet sign and the paint would lose it's adhesion from the inside outward....sorta like wet MDO delaminating.

Just a thought...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale is right. All of the brushes I use in water based paint had this problem. I solved the problem by removing the paint from the handle (when the brushes are new) with lacquer thinner, so all my brushes are bare wood handles now.

Life is so good

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!