Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Say "NO" More.......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say "NO" More.......
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those words from a recent Ray Chapman post came to mind yesterday as I approached the immaculate 40' cruiser at a private dock on the lake. The owner had removed the old striping and wanted me to replace it. The sounds of children being towed on a big tube by a ski boat were soon followed by waves that rocked the cruiser in its slip for several minutes. They went around and around the cove, then 2 teens on jet skis added more waves to the mix.
Wondering why the hell I had agreed to do this, I explained my doubts about being able to deal with the bouncing. The nervously hovering owner offered to "hold" the boat while I striped - I climbed up on the bow and started laying the first color. I hadn't gotten 3 feet before the owner, who was watching intently, said it was a little crooked. I climbed back down and looked at it, instantly realizing that nothing I did was going to please this anal nitpicker. I had tried for 3 months to pass on this job, but he insisted on waiting for me since I had done a good job lettering the boat 10 years ago.
I reflected back on his first comment as I got out of my truck when I arrived: "You sure look older". Thanks a lot pal, I thought to myself - it's been 10 years, what were you expecting? Benjamin Button?
At that point, Ray's advice was screaming in my ears and I bailed out. Smartest thing I've done all week.

Thanks Ray, I owe you one.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thinking, Sonny. Sometimes,you just got to do that! Sounds like a no-win deal to me.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ya'll will be proud of me. I walked away from one last Thursday. He needed it by this Friday. It felt soooooooo good.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One what?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pat on the back, a word of advice, a cold beer, a steak dinner, or just my singular appreciation.

(I bet he picks the steak dinner,,,,,,,,,,,,)

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Sonny! It's always hard to say no, but once you do, you'll be jumping for joy.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local home builder stopped by a couple of weeks ago. tossed me his standard stock photo business card and said he needed a logo. Before I could say a word edgewise, off he went.

Got a few minutes Tuesday and whipped up 3 ideas I thought would work for him.
As I went to email them, I saw message from the local Pennysaver...they were looking for this guy's logo ASAP. Weird timing..

The next day I got a response (full of typos) that basically ignored everything I'd sent and he'd described what he wanted for a logo...a cartoon that would look cheesy on a tshirt and closed with "I need this ASAP, can you get do this for me."

My response...
"No. Call someone else."

I don't want to do all the work around here...just the ones that make me money and/or don't $uck.
Rapid

[ July 17, 2010, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny, did you just stop, and leave him with a partly-painted line, or did you clean it off before you left?

What was his reaction?!!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Ian, it was a 2" vinyl stripe with a 1" stripe on each side separated by a 3/4" space. I just ripped off the 3' piece I had already applied and apologized, telling him that I would try to find another signperson (sucker) who might agree to take the job. Anybody need a gig?

I was very diplomatic and explained that it would be nearly impossible to do this job in the water and that neither one of us would be satisfied with the results. He was very disappointed and I felt really bad about it until I got home and had a cold beer and pondered the wisdom of Mr. Chapman..........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny...the steak sounds like a winner. Pats on the back are nice, but steaks are even nicer.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured out sometime back, that stress will kill.
Customers that cause too much stress are like serial killers to signmakers. So its best to walk away from it and maybe someone with better nerves can do the job. Maybe we all will live longer lives, hopefully....

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of striping or lettering on boats...I have never tried this, because the only boats around here are little lake speed boats (that their owners are too cheap to letter) or houseboats with no room to do anything on...also cheap owners(even if the boats cost an arm and a leg)...Anyway, another sign painter told me once that he lettered yachts in southern CA, by standing in a dinghy that moved in the water, with the boat he was lettering. Never tried it myself, but he said it worked great. Not that I would suggest you go back and do it, Sonny (yay for you for walkin' on that one!). But next time, you might consider it. If their boat is large enough, they usually have their own dinghy that you could use. Mind you, I never tried this...so you are on your own.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!