Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Why so much?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why so much?
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy called today for a price on a sandblasted sign. After I gave him the price he asked, "Why so much? Its just a piece of wood."

Ok. I'm tired. I'm grumpy. He just called me at the wrong time and insulted me.

"Sir, there are a lot of costs that go into a sandblasted sign.....

For one, I have a sandblaster. You don't.

Two, I know how to make a sandblasted sign. You don't.

Three, the law won't allow me to pay my employees in wooden nickels.

Four, my anger management therapist won't let me pay him in wooden nickels either."

He hung up.

I need to write a book or something.

Then there's the guy who's called my shop four times today wanting me to teach him how to letter awnings even though the boss told him each time I wouldn't be available to return calls until next week. It seems he told a customer who's awning I lettered not too long ago that he could letter her two new awnings and save her some money.

Dimwit.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, Glenn....take a deep breath. Everything's going to be fine.

When someone asks me "why so much?",I usually say, "Because I like to eat" or sometimes even "Because I'm worth it!".

No amount of logic is going to change their mind, so don't try. Why does a car cost $35,000 -it's just metal and plastic.

If it's any consolation...we all get the same customers. The good ones make up for the idiots, so just be especially nice to the good ones and ignore the rest.

That's my professional opinion...and I don't take wooden nickels either. Cash will be fine.

Glenn, you're going to have to go up on prices, say NO more, or get some help. You won't last long at the pace you're going.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Glenn, you're going to have to go up on prices, say NO more, or get some help. You won't last long at the pace you're going."

Easier said than done, but Dr. Chapman just said a mouthful, bro. Listen to the voice of experience - we need you around here........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, I suggest you schedule in 2 weeks of NO WORK AVAILABLE and take a holiday. By the sounds of it, you need to lose some customers anyway. Lose the needy cheap paying ones and hold onto those that want quality and are willing to wait for it. It's ok. There will be more customers after the 2 weeks.

I can't BELIEVE how long I delay some folks and they just simply patiently wait. No one wants to fire me darn it! [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to take a vacation. Heaven knows I could use it.

Its a little after 1:30am at the moment and I'm sitting here contemplating shutting down a client's website. His bill is 6 weeks past due this Friday. I've tried calling and visiting but he's never "available." My e-mails are being ignored. He's been very happy with the site. No complaints. When the bill was 30 days past due I went to see him personally. He was all apologetic and promised to have a check sent out before the end of the week. Thank goodness I got a deposit. But I want my other $500 dang it. I earned it.

Well, lets see if I can get some sleep. I've got to head out 7am and letter two cement truck barrels before the sun gets too how. Wheeeeee!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut down the website if your contract clearly states that is the policy for non payment. Anyone else would for non payment.

What can the guy say when you followed the set guidelines of the deal?

As a judge said to me once, "You allowed him to treat you that way" Put limits on what you will tolerate. We all expect payment for services rendered. He knows that.

People treat us the way we allow them to treat us.

Ray is right, raise prices and weed out the bad customers.

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 460 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut down his site and see how fast he can produce CASH. I'll bet it's pretty fast.
[Smile]
It would feel good too, and he won't delay payment again.

Yesterday I went to bid on a painted splash, a new owner is taking over an existing pizza joint.
There were 3 big windows, a transom, 2 small windows, and two doors. It has a fading existing splash.

Before I could even get a price out of my mouth, an employee who is riding out the owner switcharoo pipes up with "The last guy charged $350!" I told them to call the last guy because I couldn't compete with that price.

Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

just rename the existing index.html page (or whatever home page it has) to a name with -2 after it, and put up a new blank temporary home page.
It could state something like 'website expired, please contact..... for renewal'

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's thinking, Ian!
[Smile]
And somehow more sinister than simply turning it off.
And by the way, I am painting part of a splash today at the pizza joint, guy scraped off the old name on 2 windows.
[Wink]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Replace his Index with a new index page which says, "Site forced to close for lack of financial resources."

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear the "why so much?" every now and then. It's the cry of the Moron Bird. They're nasty, stupid creatures. I often find them riding ridiculously expensive motorcycles that cost more than a car or driving ridiculously expensive cars that cost as much as a house. The minute I hear that cry, I turn my back and walk away. The Moron Bird is deaf...a least to reason. Waste no time on them. All attempts to eradicate them have so far failed. DO NOT feed them!!!

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why so much?"

I look them in the eye, smile and say, "Because I deserve it!"

They either agree ... or I ignore their squeals and bleating.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Taylor:
....Why so much? Its just a piece of wood."....

Tell him the Mona Lisa is just a piece of canvas and his deposit check is just a piece of paper.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

And I got a delicious grilled chicken wrap with feta cheese and marinated artichoke hearts from the pizza man!
[Smile]
Totally worth it.

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had about the same thing happen, Glenn.
Guy just came in with a piece of magnetic about 2'x3' which had been made into stencil. It had been sprayed so many times it was curled up and falling apart. 30 3" high letters.......
I gave nim a price of $102.50 to make a new one.
He said that was a steep price and said "that material doesn't cost that much does it?". I said, "well, no....I can sell you a piece of the blank material for 16 bucks and you can cut it out yourself......."

It seems that the raw material; "plywood", T-Shirt, "piece of wood" etc. is the only true tangible worth of anything in some people's minds.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George..... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Glenn; take the time, if only for one day...OR!!! Keep chasing the ghosts and your heart will explode one day and your body will drop to the ground like a sack of potatoes...your choice. At our advanced ages, that IS our reality!!! Right Raymond? Steve? Too many you know already know the wisdom of these pieces of advice being given you, pay heed or pay the body. Make the right choice, go fishing, watch a sunset, ANYTHING to interrupt the routine, and most of all, whatever it is you chose to do, ENJOY IT!!! lat'r.....

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George just to funny, you made my day...Great advice Mr. Magoo, and Ray those analogies do work sometimes...I quoted on doing a donor board and was told why so much we can get it for so much over there...I said it like, a chevy and a cadillac...both have wheels,and a windshield, but one is worth more than the other...So if you want me to build a chevy I'll build you a chevy, but don't ask me to build you a cadillac at a chevy price. I walked out with a 25,000 dollar check...Relax Glenn you just a youngen yet...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst part, George, is that they were allowed to live....and they 're multiplying.

Sometimes you have to have an attitude. I had a similar set of questions and remarks made to me last week, over a lighted sign job. I took a good deal of time explaining about the process, the materials, and why they cost a lot. Still not really convinced, he made the mistake of asking me, "Who is your competition in the area?"
As if he was going to go shopping. I quickly told him with a big smile on my face, "Sir, I have no competition in the area."

He's an older guy, a custom builder; but I could tell he was a little taken back. After a moment, he said, "Well, I don't either; lets talk."

So sometimes, it does work out.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Webb:
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Taylor:
....Why so much? Its just a piece of wood."....

Tell him the Mona Lisa is just a piece of canvas
Actually the Mona Lisa is just a piece of wood, too. [Rolling On The Floor] It's painted on poplar.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

well then, there you go. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's just not worth your time to "explain" but if they get me on the right day, I will try to use what THEY do in the explanation. If it's a car dealer, realtor, plumber, etc. it is easy to turn it around and quote THEIR prices back at them. However it probably won't make you a friend or a sale. THEY are important you know and you are "Just a signpainter". [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Just a piece of wood" Ya tell him, "Why you're just a piece of chit" Okay, well maybe not that. But being that I'm so nice and gentle, I would explain the process. Telling him what a fine product he would be purchacing. And that his money would not go wasted, but be an investmnet not only to his business, but to the added beautification of the entire city. And then my teeth would sparkle as I smiled.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Just an update on the web client.

I went through all of my documentation and found his personal cell number.

I called him from the shop phone. No answer, so I waited about a half hour can called again using my cellphone.

He sounded a bit surprised when he realized it was me.

Anyhow, he was all apologetic and blamed himself for not telling his bookkeeper it was ok to send us a check. He offered to have it ready if we wanted someone to pick it up.

Anyhow, it does make me more aware of what can happen and the need to have a plan ready should a client try to beat me out of my money.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell him you want it delivered into your hot little hand within the amount of time it takes to get there. (just to be fair) Cause your finger is on the delete button and you have an itch.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn- small piece of advice I can offer -- don't ever launch a site until you've been paid in full-- ever...

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anyhow, he was all apologetic and blamed himself for not telling his bookkeeper it was ok to send us a check. He offered to have it ready if we wanted someone to pick it up."

He's the one who's screwing up, so you're supposed to do his leg work for him?

I'd shut him down until he paid up including late charges.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anyhow, he was all apologetic and blamed himself for not telling his bookkeeper it was ok to send us a check. He offered to have it ready if we wanted someone to pick it up."

He's the one who's screwing up, so you're supposed to do his leg work for him?

I'd shut him down until he paid up including late charges.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Alicia on this one. Use the question as an opportunity to sell the customer on the VALUE of a sign from you. He or she couldn't care less about the process, only why it's worth so much.

It reminds me of the line from the movie "You've Got Mail", where Tom Hanks' character, a chain bookstore owner, is talking to an employee of Meg Ryan's little mom-n-pop bookstore. The employee is pointing out the finer points of the particular edition of a book that Hanks is feigning interest in. The book has gilt pages and Hanks asks "Is that why it costs so much?" and without missing a beat the employee looks him straight in the eye and says "That's why it's WORTH so much."

Anyway, that kind of illustrates my point. You can cop an attitude if you like and no doubt it will feel great to say any of these things mentioned, but if you really want to shine as a professional in the eyes of the customer, sell the sizzle, not the steak.

[ July 19, 2010, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Brian Oliver ]

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!