Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » LOST MY HERO !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LOST MY HERO !
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday night 23h39, my hero took his last breath... I will miss you Dad more than I have already missed you.

Although he has been placed in a home for the last 6 years, melting away, I wasn't sure how this last day would impact me. We have been without him for so long but to make it official is harder than expected.

Here's a post from a while back when I introduced him to the 'Letterheads'. He would have loved to meet people in this trade as he was always fascinated to visit my shop back then. We had to place him around the same time I first heard of a Letterhead meet at Pierre's in 2003. Sometimes I close my eyes and see him in a corner of a shop talking to Bill Riedel, John Jordan and a few more...

http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/37278.html

Pierre never really met my Dad and he was one of his favorite artist, I know he was MY favorite!

78 with no knowledge of the last 8, it's over... you can rest now!

Love you Dad........

[Thanks]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mes sympathies René. Je penserai à toi et aux tiens.

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm comforted by your memories.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for your family's loss Rene. It seems he was as a good a dad as he was an artist.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rene,
Your Dad was a great artist and I remember well both your pride and sadness when we spoke of him when I asked about a beautiful picture in your house. Athough I am sure there is an element of relief there, I, like many others am familiar with the pain of losing a parent you loved and admired.
Who knows, perhaps he is in a corner talking to John Jordan. They are probably telling each other they speak funny. [Smile]
Sorry for your loss, Bud, even though it has been in progress for a long time, the finality of this must hit home.
Hugs from the prairie.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene,Sorry for your Dads passing.

A great friend & Dad...RIP

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one club it sucks ot be a part of. Rene I feel for you and all of your loved ones. [Frown]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt there was ever a time you and I got together, that your Dad's name didn't come up in a conversation. This recent time was no different. My Dad and he would have got along famously, well except that my Dad was a Leafs fan. I'm glad their sons became good friends and their spirit lives on through us.
My heart goes out to you, Bug and all your family at this very difficult time.
Love ya Bro.

[ July 12, 2010, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene, My heart and prayers go out to you my friend...Your father did good, not only as an artist but as a father, your a great guy Rene, thats a great gift your father has given you...Love, Pat and Ruth.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry Rene, Even though we just spent a little time together, I feel I know a little about you and your Sense of Humor.... I bet you got it from your Dad... please accept my deepest condolences.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that, Rene. Revisiting your dad's work reminds me where you inherited your talent from.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers for you and your family, Rene.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear that Rene. Your Dad's gift shines through your art. Be comforted that he is at peace now. Prayers sent for you and your family.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to hear this Rene. My best to you and your family.

Bevin

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to you Rene. Remember the good stuff...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Rene, that is sad. He will always be there in your heart. And you will see him again in your children. My condolences to you, and your whole family.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of the loss of your father...my heart goes with you and your family!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I never had the honor of knowing your Dad, I did have the privilege of meeting you and I'm sure that all those great qualities that I see in you came from him.

It's a tough time right now, but the pain will lessen over the years but the great memories will always be there.

My Mom and Dad are both gone now but the best news is that they are at rest and in a better place.

My thoughts and prayers go with you....even if they do sound funny.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain, Rene. It is never easy to lose someone so close to you. But as the time flies by, you will be able switch from pain and missing them to a little more remembering what a blessing they were in your life.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the nice thoughts and those who called me in person, good to hear from you.

I'll be adding (probably tomorrow) a few more pictures, including the finished urn that I did for my Dad.

Very hard to focus on the tasks ahead...

Peace

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that, Rene. my best to your family

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of your father's passing Rene.... my prayers are with you for peace and comfort as you grieve this loss.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for your loss Rene. It is so hard to watch our parents grow old and then to change roles with us as we become their care givers. No matter how much you prepare, it is still always so hard to say good bye. Thoughts are with you!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 575 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sincerest condolences Rene.

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOB HINES
Resident

Member # 2702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOB HINES   Email BOB HINES   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breath deep,close your eyes & smile.What memories.Bob & Muriel

--------------------
BOB HINES
HINESIGNS
R.R.#1 EUREKA PICTOU CO. N.S. B1K1B0
902 923-2289
hinesigns@eastlink.ca

Posts: 82 | From: CHURCHVILLE,NOVA SCOTIA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene, be grateful for the love you shared. Hugs to you all.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know what you're going through. Staying busy helped me.

What an incredible artist your Dad was. So inspiring! How awesome you have such incredible mementos of his work. They're stunning.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prayers and condolences from here as well-

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear that Rene.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Them dads are special. Yours was so talented, what beautiful paintings those are! God bless his heart and you too Rene. He will stay in your thoughts and heart for a long time to come. I think of my dad every single day...

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Pop excelled across the board.You are fortunate to have been genetically linked to him. My condolences Rene.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're very lucky to have had wonderful dads - mine was the smartest man I ever knew. I know how you feel and I'm sorry for your loss.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family. Your father was incredibly talented.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene, I can't imagine how this must feel. I still have mine, & we have become so close in the past couple of years.

I sure do pray you are comforted every time you think of him.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manfred Didier
Resident

Member # 5933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manfred Didier   Author's Homepage   Email Manfred Didier       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condolences from Bavaria. We're very sorry to hear about your loss. Your dad was a great artist. Unfortunately we never met him but we've seen his work at your place, just awesome. You got his talent and keep it alive.
The best for you all.

Catherine, Carol, Marcus & Manfred

--------------------
Manfred Didier
Timber Signs OHG
Ofterschwang, Germany
+49 8321 675420
didier@timbersigns.com

Posts: 32 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the support, the phone calls and the kind words. Here are a few pics of what will be his final resting place. When my mom asked me if I would do the urn, I was honored and accepted the challenge.

What we usually see as an urn, is a box with a dove or a cross on it wich is fine if you like that, but to me the sight of an urn like that reminds me of the day that person died. My dad lived about 28700 days, why would I do anything to remember his last one... wich lets face it, wasn't his best! I want to remember the living years...

So I started to find ideas that would remind all of us that knew him, parts of his life. The cottage, the lake, the address where we all grew up, and so on...

-

-

-

All built in a sign shop of course, so HDU, Abracadabra Smooth and Sculpt, latex, 1-Shot and stuff collected here and there.... in the middle of it all a 1 l. jar! Hope you like it Dad!

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad I saw it when I visited you Rene. It's a beautiful work of art and soul.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect Rene. It says all you wanted it to say.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!