Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Driving with a Cell Phone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driving with a Cell Phone
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't figure out why it took me so long to come to my sences about talking on a cell phone while driving. I've been doing it for years.

I'm stupid, stupid & more stupid for doing it.

No I haven't had a close call or anything like that but I did see Opra's presentation of the sorrow it can bring.

Please, please, please don't do it.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using a wireless Bluetooth earphone for as long as I've had a pocket cell phone. Some just never learn [Bash]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You watch Oprah, Joe? I thought you were supposed to be working.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It recently became illegal to drive while talking on a hand held phone in Sasakatchewan. About time! Some studies claim talking on a cell phone is more dangerous than driving while impared. From what I've witnessed I'd have to go with that.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chappy,

This year I'm effected by get the Friday afternoon lazzies. The're so powerful I can hardly do anything of value after lunch. A fresh hot cup of coffee and a candy bar will keep me going until 2:00 but at that point I'm worth NOTHING.

So you caught me. I watched Opra, for the first time.

Go back to sleep.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Newfoundland is ahead of most of you, if not all of you. It's been Illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving here for years and years.. Big Ticket as well as demerit points.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any problem with yapping on the cell while driving, but reverse painting little 1" helvetica signs on my console, running the adding machine and surfing the net at the same time while driving can be injurious to one's health. Hey. It is the age of multi-tasking!

Seriously, pull over. No call is that important. It just is not worth the risk.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better not to do the cell. It only takes one incident to kill others. just my opinion from experience in life.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving with a cell phone is easy!!!!

Turn it off when you open the car door, turn it back on when you close the car door behind you when you get out.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
outlawed in BC this year, still see it done...170.00 fine

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my buddy owns a stereo store.. he hooked me with a Navigation unit and intergrated Bluetooth .. it comes through the stereo.. and the phone is either voice activated or on the touch screen of the Eclipse AVN 726e no fruity thing on my ear! [Smile] ... and no fines either!

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We must set examples for others as there are so many people that not only use the cell in the car but also the texting, which is crazier than some people driving drunk, which is another story. These young people haven't seen the life we have as we mature, so the last thing they need is a bad example from us. Please set a good example, and talk to others even if they don't want to hear it, they may be listening anyway.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You callin me a fruit PeeWee? Never speak that way to a man with 40 acres and a backhoe. If I come down that way you'll be using your navigational unit to find your way back to Tijuana to open a tuck and roll shop [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody thinks talking on the celphone while driving is dangerous, but a reputable group (forget the name at the moment) analyzed a whole mess of accidents and found that just talking on the celphone does NOT raise the risk one tiny bit. What does raise it a lot is texting, or punching in numbers. Same as writing something, fooling with the glove box, dealing with the kids in back, turning your head to check out your blind spot, reading a computer display like the navigational devices, stuff like that. The crucial element is keeping your eyes on the road.

Cab drivers who use voice dispatch listen and talk on the radio, which is often super fast stuff, all day while dealing with crazy downtown or freeway traffic, troublesome passengers, idiot jaywalkers, and watching for hails from the sidewalk. But they have a much lower accident rate than other drivers.

Most safety laws are kneejerk reactions by politicians, not reasoned responses to serious analysis of the perceived problem. That's why I pay no attention to them at all unless a cop is right behind me.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Dennis,

I'm not at all sure that's correct. All of us have driven besides a person who is transfixed and blabbing away. They might as well be on plantet Zeno. Their attention is diverted. Hands on or off, it's bad judgement. Please don't do it.

Taxi drivers are a different situation. There not in conversation mode.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sorta agree, Talking is not the problem, Dialing Numbers, fishing around in your pocket when it rings, TEXTING especially, are the real problems.. it' really no different than having someone in your car having a conversation... but you have to ban it, because you can't talk on the cell unless you either Dial or answer... Blue tooth is the way to go... or aomething like it.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

4:30AM: In the truck on my way to work now I think I've got everything, Ipod connected to amp 4900 songs 12 speakers, cell phone on top of dash bluetooth in ear to hear ring over Walyo a punk rock hip hop rap band from Sacramento, laptop on center console with WiFi connection so I could post as I am making my 200 mile jaunt up north and out to the coast. Wow its still dark so I'll just pull a Bud from the cooler to wash down these Meds the doctor gave me for my BiPolar disorder. What the heck was that, just missed a deer or something lemme stop here and make sure I got the 30ot6 with me as I never go anywhere unarmed. Hold on just got a text message coming in and a call same time, hard to slow down when you're on the clock and cruising at 85
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Call was from car owner making sure I was on da road. Anyway with all this new technology and some old tech in the form of lead based. Oh heck another call, another text and emails on the puter, I get back to this after work when I'm back in my vehicle on my way home, thank God I got all this stuff with me [Smile]

--------------------

Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always pull over, all the time yelling at people to get off the phone, see way to many close calls.
Egad when riding a bicycle it's really nuts people in cars think your a target while on the phone.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, there's just something annoying about a a blinking blue light in somebodies ear... 40 acres and a backhoe? I'm doomed! I think it's worse to see someone in front of you slam on the brakes and pull over to answer a call..half the time they are fully over.. then the pull out at 90 mph to make up for lost time.. whats the differance in yacking to the passengers in the car or talking in an empty car? at least you dont have to make eye contact with the person your talking too. [Smile]

[ May 01, 2010, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel ]

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Dennis, there've been just too many independent (NOT the gov'mint) studies that have determined that cell phone use IS dangerous.

I recently received an email from a friend with some grisly pictures of a VW-something or other that has a motorcycle implanted inside of it. The lady driver had just gotten a cell phone and was talking away, and pulled out of a side street, oblivious, into the path of the motorcycle, reported to be going around 80 mph. The rider and 2 passengers of the car were killed, the car was overturned and totally destroyed.

Now there are a lot of factors involved here, and many 'what-if's", but I think anyone who has used a cell phone while driving knows there is just that one point in time when the party on the other line asks a question you have to think about, or tells a joke, or makes a controversial statement....just that split second when your mind is somewhere else. That's when it happens.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

That's why I tell the kids no farting in the car because last time that happened I turned to look and find the responsible party, then yanked the wheel as I fumbled for the window crank! yes it can be a distraction.. but there are many daily distractions.. just be responsible and pay attention..

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking on a cell phone IS most dangerous while driving. Your thoughts are wandering in other areas, removing those thoughts needed to concentrate on driving.

I actually don't even like talking to someone while I drive and say so. For the same reasons.

I witnessed a show on tv showing a story about a guy getting into an argument with his wife while driving and talking on the cell. He ended up firing himself into a telephone pole. If that isn't dangerous, I don't know what is.

I also vote no to the wireless. What call is so darned important that it can't go to voicemail and wait for your retrieval once you park?

Let the thing ring I say. I'm so glad the law came into effect. It's amazing how much slower a vehicle travels when someone is talking on the phone while driving, then suddenly speeds up when they click off.

Be safe. Park first.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the technology, it's the focus you give to it while driving that's dangerous.

It doesn't matter if you're on a handheld phone call, bluetooth call, talking to the person sitting next to you in your car, or lost in thought in your own head. If you're devoting any real cognitive thought or critical thinking to that conversation, thinking and processing information, etc. you're not giving full focus to driving.

We also can't forget the situational aspect of driving, there's always context to deal with. There's a difference between a "Yes or No" conversation (Hey, you on the road yet?) or taking direct orders from a dispatcher, versus going over scheduling/logistics and problem solving in your head, in terms of the focus that's required. There's also a big difference between driving a straight open deserted highway, curvy back-country road or congested surface/city streets.

So, trying to make schedules or get directions to some place, while in the thick of congestion - probably not the best time to be on the phone. On the other hand, driving through the desert on a flat/straight road where you won't encounter another vehicle for a hundred miles - being on the phone isn't ideal but it's not a critical situation either.

I don't even have a phone but I am a music junkie. I've noticed in my own driving habits, when on the open road I can turn the music up and relax, but the more congested things get, the quieter I need the music - if not turned off completely - in order to think clearly and strategize how to navigate through it.

New studies have shown, turns out the human brain in fact does NOT multi-task very effectively at all. The "hardwiring" in the brain is actually quite plastic and rewires itself based on situations, experiences and emotional responses. The segmented/incomplete thought processes inherent to multi-tasking actually degrade the brain's ability to hardwire itself, because the hardwiring process relies upon complete information and decisions to make those connections. When you switch to another task before completing the previous one, the brain stops wiring itself to that previous task as well. Thus those neural connections never get made and your ability to make fast decisions, store that information in memory, then recall it later all go down the tubes.

In other words, multi-tasking makes you slow and forgetful. [Wink]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me give you all this test.

There's yer answer.. If you can get into a ring while the other guy is trying to remove your head and still win the fight then you can multitask.

But I will wager that no one can no matter how much in denial they may be. And plaese do not give me the old " but that's different" line of cliche'.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They won't even outlaw TEXTING while you're driving here in Florida.... it just came up and the legislature voted it down.

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=16385

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If using a celphone while driving is dangerous, is it the talking or the listening that's the dangerous part? If it's the listening, then listening to the radio, particularly talk shows, shd be banned, too. If it's the talking, then talking to your passengers shd be banned.

Let me clear up a couple things about cab drivers, who are particularly affected by these celphone bans because they depend on them to do their job and get you where you want efficiently. Cab driving is not at all what most people think, except maybe in small towns. I drove a cab for 15 years in SF and being a real pro in a busy city is the distilled essence of multitasking. On a busy day you're dealing with a jillion things in your head for ten hours straight, all at top speed, in a stressful dangerous highly competitive constantly changing business. But ask a cop and he'll tell you that the cab drivers are much better drivers than your average citizen. In SF two at-fault accidents usually mean you're out of the job, but I know guys who have worked for 30 years with never a one.

A lot of times people see a cab driver do something they think is dangerous because if they tried it it wd be dangerous, but not for the cab driver because he knows what he's doing.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Dennis, do ya think Cash cab would work in San Francisco?

--------------------

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone mentioned the blind spot. Here's how to eliminate it.

Lean your head against the window and adjust the side view mirror so you can just barely see the side of your car. Done! That's it! when a car is passing you, before the car disappears from your rear view mirror, the front end will appear in your side view mirror. Then, before the car disappears from your side view mirror, the front end will appear at the side of your car and you'll see it with your peripheral vision. No blind spot. It's a little weird at first if you are used to seeing the side of your car in your side mirror, because now you are seeing the lane next to you instead of those few feet off the side. But it's never failed me.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to say that I'm a heck of a lot more scared of those mothers who are constantly looking and reaching into the back seat to their kids than a business man driving along talking on his cell phone.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Cash Cab wd probably go over great in SF. The driver on that show is great but he cdnt do it here because he'd have to know the city. We've got a few drivers here, tho, who wd probably be good at it.

One of the questions cd be, "How often do we have to change the brakes?", which drivers hear several times every day.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis,

I totatlly agree with your statements. If you talk on the phone via bluetooth or holding the handset and it's dangerous you better never have a friend in the car to talk with or listen to. Radio, hmmm better ditch it as well. It's the dialing, texting and e-mailing while driving that causes accidents (in my opinion).

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

"Sorry Dennis, there've been just too many independent (NOT the gov'mint) studies that have determined that cell phone use IS dangerous."

Dale, the trouble with most of the so-called "studies" on anything is that the students think in large groupings, not in particular cases. "Cell phone" use is such. To give a fairly absurd example it includes using a cell phone to hit somebody over the head with.

"Smoking" is another. Very few studies distinguish between cigarets and cigars, which are entirely different things. For instance, did you know that people who smoke 2 cigars a day outlive people who never touch tobacco all their lives? And people who smoke 5 cigars a day have the same lifespan as the teetotalers? Or that the Greeks, who smoke (and drink) more than all the Europeans, and BTW also have the most car accidents, outlive all of them except for two Scandinavian countries? The reasons are too numerous to go into but almost all the prohibitions and taxes on tobacco apply equally to cigars and cigarets as tho they were the same thing.

That's why I never give studies any credit unless I know all about the study.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tune out a radio when my thoughts have to be on the road. But it's pretty hard to tune out a conversation you're suppose to answer back with.

Guess that's why I rarely have the radio on and keep shushing my passenger. [Smile]

Mike, I could not agree with you more.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, when visiting back home in the UK we have to remember not to talk and drive. Over here in Sweden, its always amazed me that it is LEGAL to use any type of phone and drive, and everybody does. Also funnily enough as mobile use increases each year accident rates have reduced. We have some of the safest roads in the world.

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Society/Infrastructure/Reading/Swedish-innovations-make-roads-safer/

I agree with lots of comments, people slowing down while talking, never using blinkers, not being 100% focused etc etc.

As others have said its not the talking, its operating equipment.

That can be anything from car stereo, satnav or phones.

I just recently got a Nokia N900 which is a mini computer and phone,(touchscreen) actually making a call is often easier on the old Nokia N95 which is more like a phone, so as gadgets become more complicated, there operation is more distracting. I recently bought a handsfree bluetooth, I hate the crap that sticks in your ear so bought a headphone set up also from Nokia BH-905, mainly for using in the shop so I can work and talk, or rout and talk, and that is brilliant.

Driving longer distances on your own or at nighttime , talking on the phone is great for making the trip go quicker, we have fixed price monthly costs, so talk or surf on mobile as much as you want.

As a former semi truck driver doing long distance work, we talked all the time on CB or did all sorts of other things to give relief from boredom of sitting there 9hours driving each day.

If I am talking and the traffic gets bad or am in town I put the phone down and say I'll call back, or wait a minute and continue when its safe... or safer [Smile]

For me all the young guys etc trying to emulate fast and furious in little sporty cars, overtaking on crowns of hills or too close to corners etc to gain a few yards is more of a worry.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Joe.

Although I don't watch Oprah, I heard a lot about the story.

Locally, there are several cases going through the legal system where where people were killed - including a local cop and a highly regarded teacher - as a direct result of cell phone usage, whether texting or talking while driving.

The problem with people is they don't take driving serious enough. And, driving while distracted, talking, texting, eating, putting on make up, etc, is like playing a game of Russian roulette, which can result in serious injury or death to yourself and others.

Before you say "that will never happen to me", consider reading these stories...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/29/supertaskers/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/technology/21distracted.html

Both contain some pretty damning information.

Just in case you're wondering, my cell phone is in the glove box when I am driving.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

I think at birth the Government should hand your parents a card which will soon be passed on to you telling how,what, where,and in what regards you are to live your life to keep you safe from yourself... it's amazing the old folks are still around with all the dangerous and now banned things they (we) grew up with.. Just the other day I had a conversation with a cop buddy while he was driving and talkng on his cell phone... oh but wait! He's a cop.. and it was for "official business".. as Henry stated.. truck drivers and hobbyists for years used CB radios...the only differance was it wasn't in the mainstrean.. Yes, there is irresponsible idiots and always will be with any device cellular or otherwise..

[ May 02, 2010, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel ]

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

"I also vote no to the wireless. What call is so darned important that it can't go to voicemail and wait for your retrieval once you park?"

Did you ever see "Home Alone"?

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!